[NAGDU] Experiences with Guide dog foundation

joy.relton at icloud.com joy.relton at icloud.com
Tue Mar 12 21:33:45 UTC 2024

Hi Julie,

I second the opinion of Shannon. She is very special. She trained me with Vicky. She welcomes and encourages questions. I would urge you to feel free to ask additional questions if the answers don't make sense. If you ask any of the seven instructors that I had they will all tell you that I do ask a lot of questions. Shannon is absolutely top, in my opinion when addressing body position, hand and arm position and its effect on your orientation and your dog's work. When I trained with Vicky I was finding that I now have some loss in hearing which changes my spatial orientation. In addition, even though I've been totally blind since I was about seven, I am losing more of my sight as well as what people sometimes call "facial vision". In addition to asking lots of questions, I try hard to remind myself to really listen and apply what I learn from my questions. If after consideration, what they say doesn't make sense, then, say so in a respectful way and come to a meeting of the minds. After all, that's real communication

BTW, I refuse to consider myself from anywhere near the dinosaur era, after all, I just turned sixty-seven on Friday and, once I get caught up on my sleep, I feel as though I'm still in my forties. I got my first dog in 1976. Roger Taylor made my training experience wonderful and, being a lover of history, made our bicentennial extra special for me.  .