[NAGDU] Seeing Eye

Rebecca Ilniski rilniski at gmail.com
Wed Mar 13 21:17:08 UTC 2024

Hello all.  I've been to the seeing eye 3 times, in 2002 I had Shannon
Manahan as an instructor.  She was awesome, and I got a black lab golden
cross named Sherman.  He and I worked well together but he ended up retiring
early due to health issues.  Then in 2006 I went back to the seeing eye and
got Henna a female black lab golden cross.  She had a lot of dog and cat
distraction issues and I fell with her several times.  After about 2 months,
she went back. I had Shannon Chicorelli as an instructor.  Then in June 2007
I had Barb Inglekin (not sure how to spell it) and I received a black male
golden cross named Nuncio.  We worked well together in class but after we
got home, he started growling and lunging at other dogs.  I tried to work
with him for 3 years but he pulled me down a few times.  I will say that
mismatches can happen at any school but it's how the school handles it when
you do have one that counts.  There were a few times in class when I got
Henna where I was blown off by instructors.  But the last time I was there
was in 2007.  I enjoyed all of my class experiences and the campus and room
accommodations.  The food was good.  I know you don't get to meet your
raisers when you're there but you do own your dog outright.  So many schools
have gone to a two-week and I've been through it with GDB where Marvin is
from.  It's fine for those who work or for those in school but if you have
to have a dog switch two weeks wouldn't be long enough in my view.  I love
my school but don't know if I would want to deal with flying again unless
they get rid of those forms.  The Seeing Eye is about 2 hours away from me.
Just a lot to think about.  I believe I'm a bit more outspoken than I was in
2007 so it's been forever since I went to the eye.  I've been enjoying
hearing all about some class experiences lately for people who've gone there
recently.

Rebecca Ilniski and guide dog Marvin, the marvelous

Email: rilniski at gmail.com <mailto:rilniski at gmail.com>

Mastadon @bookaholic75 at tweesecake.social