[NAGDU] Seeing Eye

Vanessa Lowery val4dogs at gmail.com
Thu Mar 14 02:32:51 UTC 2024

Julie, way back in the day when the dinosaurs roamed the earth (1982) I went to The Seeing Eye to train with my first dog. At that time, we had roommates. My roommate had two older children who were five and seven, and a younger daughter who was 18 months old. Yep, she missed not being with Sara during that 2 1/2 week., But she knew that her husband would take care of the little one. I suspect that some customization was done because of the fact that she would be pulling a stroller behind her with the toddler. Overtime, The Seeing Eye has done customization when needed. For instance, when I got Ozzie (my second dog), Tom Pender and I went into a rehab center. That was not the type of environment where I worked, but it was a place where I could expose Ozzie to people who use canes, walkers, crutches, and wheelchairs.  These were the types of clients that sometimes came into Baltimore County social services to get benefits and other services, and that was not the area of the agency in which I worked, it was certainly possible that I would come into contact with people with Mobility impairments. Also, at that time, the building that I worked in was also occupied by the Baltimore County health Department  Who also serve both able-bodied and disabled clients. So Ozzie needed to be comfortable around adaptive mobility equipment. In my last class, there was a gentleman who lived on a farm with horses, so one of his freelance trips was to a farm.

As it's probably the case with many of the schools, The Seeing Eye has also trained dogs to work on the right for people who cannot work a dog on the left because of some type of impairment with the left arm. I even know one person who started out with a dog that she worked on the left, ran into issues with her left arm, and the dog was successfully retrained to work on the right. All of her subsequent dogs have worked on the right.

There are more examples that I could offer, but that's a mouthful for now. As promised, when things settle down a little bit, I will give a more extensive update about virtue, but I can tell you that he is home and is doing well during his first of 14 days of lockdown in his crate except for when he is watered, fed, and parked.

He has the cone of shame which is big as a house, so all the crate downstairs accommodates him, the one upstairs does not. So I've had to order one identical to the one downstairs just so that he can fit in an upstairs crate. I don't want to be away from him anymore than as possible. So when I'm in the Den down in my full basement, he'll be in that crate. When I'm hanging out upstairs in the living room or the kitchen, he will be in the crate in the living room. I have a comfortable couch on which I can sleep in the living room so that I can monitor him. But because he hast to be downstairs tonight I will have to sleep on my body pillow downstairs so that I can monitor him and probably take him out in the middle of the night.  Again, I will go more details about the surgery later on, but this is a quick recap of how he's doing now that he's home.

Vanessa and the zoo
Sent from my iPhone