[NAGDU] found a guide horse trainer

Josh Kennedy joshknnd1982 at gmail.com
Fri May 24 19:03:13 UTC 2024

Looks like all my work paid off. I found a very enthusiastic guide horse
trainer!!
Holly Fisher:
"Hello Josh,
I appreciate you reaching out to me, expressing your interest in miniature
guide horses.
I've had a life long infatuation with all animals, especially horses. I
started taking riding lessons at the age of 7. The more I learned about
horses, the more I wanted to be with them. In my teenage years I trained my
young horse & started competing in horse shows. Then I began training
horses locally. In 2006 I graduated from horseshoeing school & currently I
am still working as a Farrier. I love my job. I still feel like I need to
be more involved. But in what ways?  I have a deep desire to share my love
of horses with like minded individuals.
Around 2018 I stumbled upon the Guide Horse Foundation's website. I was
blown away at the idea of using mini horses as guides.  I instantly knew I
wanted to follow the guide horse foundations lead and I would train guide
horses too.
I researched different types of miniature horses. It didn't take long to
realize bet best choice is Falabella horses. They originated in Argentina.
Falabellas are perfect in every way for guide work. I started looking
online in hope of purchasing a few of these Falabella's to begin clicker
training for service work. I was shocked to find that the price range to
buy a 1 year old, untrained Falabella is between $5,000-$12,000. Yikes! I
was a bit discouraged about buying these mini horses, but I continued
practicing clicker training with my full sized horses.
Fast forward a few years, in March 2024 I was checking out the new foals
for sale on a website named 'Toyland's Falabella International'. Since
2018, I have visited this website many times. During this visit I decided
to sign the websites guestbook. I wrote a few sentences expressing my
wishes to buy a few Falabella horses & clicker train them for guide work.
This is the only time I wrote about my dream online, outside of my small
circle of friends.
So imagine my astonishment & excitement when you reached out to me about a
guide horse.  The more I thought about it, the more I felt like this is a
sign, from a higher power, encouraging me to get the ball rolling  pursuing
my dream to train miniature guide horses.
I thought it was a long shot... but I emailed the women who owns Toylands
Falabella horses. She is one of the largest breeders in the United States &
just happens to live in the same state as me, Illinois. It's only a 3.5
hour drive away. In my email I explained my dream & described my
qualifications. She sent me back an enthusiastic email. Long story short,
she wants me to come to her place & meet me. She wants to discuss ideas &
start training her Falabellas for service work. I'm going to visit her in
about 1 week. I'll let you know exactly what day I go visit & how our
meeting goes.
Thank you so much for contacting me. Without your thoughtful action, none
of this would be happening right now. I think you should be the 1st person
to receive our 1st trained guide horse."
Alexandra Kurland:
"Hi Josh,
This could be an exciting partnership.  You may yet get your dream guide
horse.
Panda’s mother was a Falabella.  I suspect she got her small size from her
mother.
Good luck with this.
Alexandra"
Holly Fisher:
"Yes, consistency is key, especially when working with horses. I believe
consistency is the closest thing horses have understanding of that can be
related to honesty. Horses don't, and can't lie, but if a human or a horse
in their herd is inconsistent it means they can't be relied on to make
decisions for them.
I sent an email to Alexandra Kurlin recently. I'm excited to hear what she
has to say or any pointers she may give as we continue on our guide horse
journey.   I'm curious with the size perimeters should be considering when
choosing a suitable training horse prospect.
I have a client that has some very nice miniature horses. I inquired about
ones offered for sale. She has 1 that might be suitable  for guide work.
She stands 32" in height, weighs about 125 pounds. She is 2 years old &
loves people. And to describe her looks... she is almost too cute. Her coat
is a reddish brown with a blonde main & tail. My client is supposed to get
back with me tonight with a price. This 2 year old should be more
affordable than a purebred Falabella miniature.
I'm still trying to coordinate a date to go visit the Falabella farm. We
have been chatting & will have sometime set in stone soon."
Holly Fisher:
"I think you are on the right track.  I'm excited to be moving forward with
training a guide horse for you. After we find a horse & training
progresses, would you be able to come to Illinois periodically and do some
hands on work to get acquainted with your guide in training?"