[Nationalharbor] FW: [Nfbnet-members-list] 17th Annual Mock Trial

Michelle Clark mcikeyc at aol.com
Fri Jun 20 23:30:22 UTC 2014

From: Nfbnet-members-list [mailto:nfbnet-members-list-bounces at nfbnet.org] On
Behalf Of Scott C. LaBarre via Nfbnet-members-list
Sent: Friday, June 20, 2014 6:33 PM
To: nfbnet-members-list at nfbnet.org
Subject: [Nfbnet-members-list] 17th Annual Mock Trial

Hear Yee, Hear Yee, Hear Yee, all draw nye and attend the Seventeenth Annual
Mock Trial sponsored by the National Association of Blind Lawyers!

When?  July 2, 2014
Where?  The Annual Convention of the National Federation of the Blind in
Orlando, Florida, Rosen Center Hotel.

Here is what the agenda says about the Trial:

4:15 - 5:45 pm-SEVENTEENTH ANNUAL MOCK TRIAL (Admission: $5.00)
Junior Ballroom G, level 1
Federation lawyers oppose each other to enact a case addressing the civil
rights of blind people, and the audience serves as the jury.  The subject
matter is serious, but the courtroom portrayers are very entertaining.

Indeed, this year we are taking up the case of Iza So Hot and Ima Ababe v.
Meet Hot Ones Inc., Web URL www.meethotones.com <http://www.meethotones.com>
.  Our two plaintiffs, one of each gender, are suing Meet Hot Ones Inc.
under Title III of the ADA in the United States District Court for the
District of Federation, the Honorable Charles S. Brown Presiding.  Our
plaintiffs allege that Meet Hot Ones Inc.'s dating services are
inaccessible.  The Defendant operates both a dating service on the internet
and a mobile app.  Plaintiffs assert that neither service is accessible with
screen reading software or voiceover on the iPhone.  Plaintiffs argue that
Meet Hot Ones is covered by the ADA because it is a good or service
contemplated by the Act.  They allege that Meet Hot Ones Inc. does not exist
only in cyberspace because the end result of its services could be close
physical contact.

Meet Hot Ones first argues that it is not covered by the ADA because it
exists solely in cyberspace and that any resulting physical contact is
purely incidental.  It further asserts that it does accommodate the blind in
two ways.  First, blind customers can call a customer service number to get
help, 1 800 blind girl.  Also, it operates, out of the goodness of its
corporate heart, a special dating service for the blind, www.blinddate.com
<http://www.blinddate.com> .  This specialized website is only for blind
persons and does not have nearly the same features and functions.  It
doesn't have, of course, pictures because blind people don't care about
looks.  It is only for blind people because it is well known and commonly
accepted that blind people should only date other blind people.

As you see, we will have a most interesting case for our jurors to decide.
Justice must be done.  Come join us and render your verdict.  Proceeds go to
the National Association of Blind Lawyers to help in its effort to provide
continuing legal education and critical networking opportunities for blind
legal professionals.

See you inCourt!
Scott LaBarre, President
National Association of Blind Lawyers