[Nationalharbor] FW: Career Fairs and Open Houses Scheduled as of June 29, 2014 - #457 - Next distribution set for 13 July

Michelle Clark mcikeyc at aol.com
Mon Jun 30 00:20:46 UTC 2014

Always very good points.

Michelle

From: jimditt at careerfairs-eastcoast.com
[mailto:jimditt at careerfairs-eastcoast.com]
Sent: Sunday, June 29, 2014 4:51 PM
To: jimditt at careerfairs-eastcoast.com
Subject: Career Fairs and Open Houses Scheduled as of June 29, 2014 - #457 -
Next distribution set for 13 July

Good evening,

Online/Virtual career/job fairs are becoming much more mainstream.  These
can be deceptive and I need to pay attention to what I do in my preparation
as well as throughout and in follow up to the online fairs.

Friends have told me they "attend" virtual fairs in their pajamas, others in
shorts and tee shirts.  A small number have pointed out that they want to
think and feel as professional while participating in a virtual as they are
and do in an actual career fair so they dress as though they are attending a
career fair.  They feel that they are sharper and more attuned to the event.
Psychologist would say that the latter group will perform better.  If I feel
like I am at a "fair" then I think and act like I am at the "fair."  I am
more focused to the mission at hand.

Behind all of this are two actions that are also critical to the
effectiveness of my work at virtual fairs.  First, I need to identify my
target employers, research them and make notes on the specific questions I
want to ask each of the employers that will be present.  Then I need to
develop and write out the specific points I want to make/present to the
employer.  Writing both the questions and the points I want to make down
helps me to think both through for clarity and accuracy.  It also makes me
more focused in my effort.

Lastly, I need to make certain that I follow up with each of the employers I
have connected with.  I can always ask who to connect with, and then there
is always the research that will get me the connection I need.

Simple and logical, but do I pay attention to these points?

Have a great and safe holiday weekend next weekend.

Jim Ditt

"No eulogy is due to a man who simply does his duty and nothing more."  .
St.Augustine

To be removed form this distribution please go to "Reply" and in the
"Subject" box indicate "Remove."   Thank you