[NationalHarbor] National Harbor ChapterMay 28,2022 Meeting

Amber Woods woodsamber83 at gmail.com
Fri May 27 11:43:44 UTC 2022

Dear National Harbor Chapter Members and  Friends,

Please see the  agenda for May’s  Meeting :

MAY NHC Agenda 2022

Time: 1-3pm

Location: Free Conference Call 805-706-5069

Call to Order

House Rules:

The meeting is Recorded. The majority of the meeting after roll call will
be muted, then when discussion is requested, please *6 to unmute, and then
seek permission from the President then state your name.

Motions/voting: Asking for first and second motion, must be an active
member of the chapter and please state your first and last name in order to
validate any acceptance and voting actions.

Playback Number:

Roll Call (Alphabetical First Name)

Opening Prayer

Pledge

I pledge to participate actively in the effort of the National Federation
of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for the blind;
to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to abide by its
constitution.

Reading and Approval of Minutes

April Minutes

January Minutes

*WMATA Reports *

*Member Vanessa Coles *

*Treasurer’s Report Treasurer *

*Fundraising *

*President *

Mother’s Day Tea Results

August 6, 2022 – NFBMD Crab Feast, Parkville, Maryland Tall Cedars

Nfbmd.org to buy your tickets now

December 3 – 10, 2023 – NFBMD Blind Cruising 2023, Bahamas

, Cindy Kiper at ckiper at dreamvacations.com or 813-418-0647

*Braille Updates *

*BELL Program *

July 18 – August 5, 2022 – NFB BELL Academy in Home Edition, Virtual

July 25 – August 5, 2022 – NFB BELL Academy, Baltimore, Maryland In-person

Advocacy

NFBMD Advocacy Skills Training Sessions

trainings will take place on Saturday afternoons, from 1:30 to 5:00 pm .

August 2022 IEP Advocacy for children and students

October 1, 2022 - Advocacy Seminar Part 4, Virtual On October 1 we will
explore avoiding social security pitfalls.

Past Virtual Topics April 30, 2022 General Advocacy 4 C’s of Advocacy

Connect, compassion, confidential and coordinate -

May 21, 2022 Advocacy with DORS and how to keep that dream job if
discrimination occurs

Contact Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and Advocacy 410-715-9596 or
email: nfbmdsm at gmail.com for more information and to register.

Action Needed on Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act,

      H.R. 4853

Call Capital Switchboard to locate your member of congress 202-224-3121 you
can email your representative and please cc Justin Young atjyoung at nfb.org.
Your calls and emails do make a difference. See Example message either
email or call  example  in meeting notes listed at the end of  email
message . You can call Sharon Maneki, Director of Legislation and
Advocacy 410-715-9596
or email: nfbmdsm at gmail.com

*Outreach Public Relations*

Global Awareness Accessibility Day Annually the 3rd Thursday in May  (May
19)

October 1 – 31, 2022 – Blind Equality Achievement Month

*Membership Report*

*Old Business *

Vote for New Secretary

Convention Updates

May 31, 2022 – Deadline to Preregister for NFB Annual Convention, New
Orleans, Louisiana

July 5 – 10, 2022 – NFB National Convention, New Orleans, Louisiana

Career Fair Wednesday, July 6, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. in New Orleans and
requires a separate registration by June 21

Disability rights attorneys will be available at NFB22 to discuss blindness
discrimination concerns

Tuesday, July 5, and Wednesday, July 6, from 6:00-9:00 p.m. Schedule your
private (20) twenty-minute appointment.

Deadline: July 23,

Contact Valerie Yingling

Email: vyingling at nfb.org   National Office: Phone: 410-659-9314

Convention Agenda

In June Will use Chapter Tuesday’s 4-5pm  call to go over national
convention agenda and updates

*New Chapter Business *

October Blind Equality Achievement Month

November 11 – 13, 2022 – NFBMD Annual Convention, Towson, Maryland

*Call to Join Chapter *

*Community News *

*Adjournment *

*Presidential Release *

https://nfb.org/sites/nfb.org/files/2022-05/may_2022_live_release_short_chapter_version.mp3

Agenda Notes:

BELL

The NFB BELL Academy is appropriate for blind and low vision children ages
four through twelve who:

The National Federation of the Blind of Maryland is offering one two-week
in person NFB BELL Academy session in Baltimore, Maryland, From July 25,
2022 – August 5, 2022.  The National Federation of the

Blind is also offering one three-week virtual program of the NFB BELL
Academy In-Home Edition July 18 through August 5, 2022, for which options
are available for beginner, intermediate, and advanced students. Space is
limited.

Advocacy

H.R. 4853  Example Message

Hello, my name is [YOUR NAME], and I am a constituent of [REPRESENTATIVE
NAME]. I live in [CITY, STATE]. I would like to urge [REPRESENTATIVE NAME]
to cosponsor the Medical Device Nonvisual Accessibility Act, H.R. 4853.
This legislation would ensure that blind Americans can have the same
opportunity to independently monitor their various medical needs and care
for themselves as other nondisabled Americans, thereby making us more
self-sufficient and less reliant on others for our medical care.

Thank you,

Your name

Links for National Convention
First Timer's Guide | National Federation of the Blind (nfb.org)
<https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention/first-timers-guide>

Notes:

Notes for Convention

National Convention by Tuesday

2022 National Federation of the Blind National Convention

July 5 through July 10, 2022

New Orleans, LA

#NFB22

It is just around the corner! Register to attend #NFB22 in person and
purchase your banquet tickets at https://nfb.org/registration before May 31.

Prices go up if you wait until you arrive in New Orleans. Make your hotel
reservations as soon as possible. Space at the main hotel, the New Orleans
Marriott, has filled up. For the same convention rate, book your hotel room
at the Sheraton New Orleans, which is right across the street from the main
hotel. Call 888-627-7033 and ask to book a room for the “NFB Convention.”
Please note that this is a different number than originally published in
the Braille Monitor. The convention rate and our room block disappear after
May 31.

Register for the 2022 National Convention now!

Full agenda coming soon. For the schedule and more information, visit
https://nfb.org/convention.

National Convention Safety Protocols

We are committed to delivering a safe and welcoming national convention
experience. Part of this commitment, as detailed in the NFB’s 2022 National
Convention Safety Protocols, is requiring all convention attendees to test
negative for the COVID-19 virus before participating in the convention
itself. All attendees are to be fully masked (mask covering the nose and
mouth and properly fitted to the face) in all meetings, the exhibit hall,
and other public hotel spaces when not actively eating ordrinking.

Prepare for New Orleans: More Convention Details

Additional Enrollment

The convention has the following that you must register for

Contact Valerie Yingling

Email: vyingling at nfb.org

The Career Fair is scheduled for Wednesday, July 6, from 1:00-4:00 p.m. in
New Orleans and requires a separate registration by June 21.

Job-Seeker Registration and Employer Registration. Free

Disability rights attorneys will be available at NFB22 to discuss blindness
discrimination concerns regarding employment, technology, education,
voting, and more.

Legal office hours are Tuesday, July 5, and Wednesday, July 6, from
6:00-9:00 p.m. Schedule your private (20) twenty-minute appointment. Please
request your appointment. Deadline  request: June 23. 2022.

Contact Valerie Yingling

Email: vyingling at nfb.org

NFB Camp (Child Care during Convention) enrollment is separate from the
convention registration. Enroll now for the NFB Camp! If you have
additional questions, contact Carla McQuillan at president at nfb-oregon.org,
or call 541-653-9153.

About National Convention

The NFB National Convention serves as a governing body, democratically
electing our leadership and establishing each year's organizational
priorities. It is the premier event for training, support, and information
for the blind community. The national convention packs an unbelievable
number of activities into six days. Review our First Timer’s Guide for more
details.

– Blind Equality Achievement Month

Virtual

November 11 – 13, 2022 – NFBMD Annual Convention, Towson, Maryland

December 3 – 10, 2023 – NFBMD Blind Cruising 2023, Bahamas

information, contact :, Cindy Kiper at ckiper at dreamvacations.com or
813-418-0647.

Thank you,

Amber Woods

President

National Harbor Chapter

National Federation of he Blind of Maryland

301-978-6686