[NationalHarbor] Fwd: Call for Participants - accessibility workshops

Amber Woods woodsamber83 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 7 04:52:27 UTC 2024

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Jocelyn Hunter <jhunter at clb.org>
Date: Fri, Apr 5, 2024 at 10:40 AM
Subject: Call for Participants - accessibility workshops
To: Jocelyn Hunter <jhunter at clb.org>

*Good morning and FYI, thank you. *

*Best,*

*Jocelyn Hunter – Senior Director of Communications*

*Columbia Lighthouse for the Blind*

Hello,

My name is Stephany and I'm the Director of Public Programs at the Heurich
House Museum in Dupont Circle. We are currently recruiting blind, partially
blind and sighted people to participate in a half-day visit to the museum
Museum to be part of a group discussion focusing on a room in the historic
mansion. The aim will be to work together to create a description of that
room, which might help other blind, partially blind and sighted audiences
better enjoy and engage with their museum experience. We were wondering if
this is an opportunity the DC chapter of the National Federation of the
Blind would be interested in sharing or participating in?

We are looking to fill the following slots on April 9:

   - Blind Participant: 10:30am - 1:00pm
   - Partially Sighted/Low Vision Participant: 2:00pm - 4:30pm
   - Blind Participant: 2:00pm - 4:30pm

These workshops are part of a funded research project that hopes to address
this by looking at descriptions of artworks and museum spaces that are
created collaboratively by groups of blind, partially-blind and sighted
people. We will also be filming parts of the workshop for a training
course, but you do not need to be filmed if you do not want to be.  We will
offer a thank you payment of $45 for time and contribution and reasonable
travel expenses. There will be light refreshments during the workshop.

Please let me know if this is something you are interested in or willing to
share, I'm also including some additional information about us below.

Thanks for considering,

Stephany

*About us*

Heurich House Museum <https://heurichhouse.org/> is a historic house museum
located in Dupont Circle. We aim to explore the American Experience through
the legacy of German immigrant Christian Heurich and his Washington, DC
brewery, and create an equitable path to success for local small-scale
businesses. We are working with academics from the University of
Westminster who have been working together on inclusive design projects in
the museum and heritage sector for some years.

Dr. Alison Eardley
<https://www.westminster.ac.uk/about-us/our-people/directory/eardley-alison>is
Reader in Psychology, Cultural Heritage and Inclusion at the University of
Westminster. Her work looks at visitor experience and audience engagement
in museums and the cultural sector from a cognitive psychology perspective,
with a focus on access and inclusion.

Dr. Lindsay Bywood
<https://www.westminster.ac.uk/about-us/our-people/directory/bywood-lindsay>is
a Translation Studies academic and practitioner. She is interested in Audio
Description and inclusive design in various settings, with other research
interests in subtitling and machine translation. Before becoming an
academic she worked for many years in the audiovisual translation industry.

--

*Stephany Fry (she/her)*

*Director of Public Programs*

Heurich House Museum

202-429-1894

stephany at heurichhouse.org

heurichhouse.org

1307 New Hampshire Ave NW, Washington, DC, 20036