[Ncabs] Internet Access to Newsline

Gary H. Ray ghraynfbofnc at charter.net
Wed Apr 1 01:19:01 UTC 2009

Fellow Federationists!

We are proud to announce an enhancement to the Newsline system.  You can
access your newspapers and use your own screen reader to read them.  You can
do it all on the computer over the Internet

If you have a Victor Stream or an Icon, you can set your computer up to
automatically download and transfer newspaper issues to these devices.

Here is the Press Release from Baltimore:

National Federation of the Blind Enhances and Expands
 Newspaper Service for the Blind

NFB-NEWSLINER Online Offers Blind Individuals More Options for Accessing the
News

Baltimore, Maryland (March 31, 2009): NFB-NEWSLINER, the largest electronic
newspaper service in the world for blind and print-disabled Americans, is
pleased to announce the launch of NFB-NEWSLINER Online
(www.nfbnewslineonline.org).  Through NFB-NEWSLINER Online's groundbreaking
features, subscribers can enjoy both an enhanced experience in reading the
news and dramatically increased flexibility in how they choose to access
their favorite publication's content.

Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, said:
"The NFB-NEWSLINER service was created so that blind people could benefit
from independent access to information on world news and hometown events in
the same way that our sighted colleagues can.  The new features offered by
NFB-NEWSLINER Online are an extension of this service's ability to allow
independent and flexible access to news content by the blind.  I am very
proud of the increased choice and convenience that initiatives like Web News
on Demand and NFB-NEWSLINER In Your Pocket provide to NFB-NEWSLINER
subscribers."

NFB-NEWSLINER, which began operation in 1995, offers over 275 newspapers and
magazines as well as TV listings to over 65,000 subscribers through a
standard touch-tone telephone.  With the exciting launch of NFB-NEWSLINER
Online, subscribers also now have unequaled access and unrivaled flexibility
in how they read their favorite publications.  Two new initiatives have been
designed to enhance the subscriber's experience: Web News on Demand and
NFB-NEWSLINER In Your Pocket.

Through the easy-to-use Web News on Demand feature, subscribers can, for the
first time ever, visit a secure Web site that offers a customizable reading
experience and the ability to send entire publications, particular sections,
or single articles to their e-mail inbox.  NFB- NEWSLINER In Your Pocket is
a dynamic software application that a subscriber installs on his or her
computer.  Through an Internet connection, this software automatically
downloads the publications of the subscriber's choice to his or her portable
digital talking book player (such as the Victor Reader Stream or
Icon/Braille+).

Jerry Moreno, a retired social worker from North Carolina, said: "I love
being able to get my favorite papers onto my digital talking book player in
such an easy and quick way!  NFB-NEWSLINER In Your Pocket does it all for
me, so that I can go about my morning routine and by the time I'm done my
papers are loaded and ready for me to read along with my cup of coffee."

David DeNotaris, director of Bureau of Blindness & Visual Services with the
Pennsylvania Office of Vocational Rehabilitation, said: "As a husband,
father, avid sports fan, and busy professional, I particularly appreciate
the fact that Web News on Demand allows me to access relevant local,
national, and international news quickly, simply, and independently."

To start using the Online Interface, go to:
http://www.nfbnewslineonline.org/NOLWelcome.jsp

You will need your Newsline ID and Pass Code.  If you cannot remember your
ID and Code, call Gary Ray at (828) 505-0338.

Just login and go to reading!

For more information or descriptions of features of NFB-NEWSLINER Online,
please visit www.nfbnewslineonline.org.  For further information please
write to swhite at nfb.org or call (866) 504-7300.