[Ncabs] NABS April Bulletin!

Arielle Silverman nabs.president at gmail.com
Tue Apr 6 03:37:50 UTC 2010

National Association of Blind Students
>From the Desk of the President
April 5, 2010

In This Bulletin:
1.  Get Ready for Convention!
2. Coming Soon: New NABS Website!
3.  Announcements
Get Ready for Convention!

The following appeared in the latest issue of the Braille Monitor, the
monthly newsletter of the NFB:

Dallas Site of 2010 NFB Convention
The 2010 convention of the National Federation of the Blind will take
place in Dallas, Texas, July 3-8, at the Hilton Anatole Hotel at 2201
Stemmons Freeway, Dallas, Texas 75207. Make your room reservation as
soon as possible with the Hilton Anatole staff only. Call
 (214) 761-7500         (214) 761-7500.
The 2010 room rates are singles, doubles, and twins $62 and triples
and quads $67 a night, plus a 15 percent sales tax. The hotel is
accepting reservations now. A $60-per-room deposit is required to make
a reservation. Fifty percent of the deposit will be refunded if notice
is given to the hotel of a reservation cancellation before June 1,
2010. The other 50 percent is not refundable.
Rooms will be available on a first-come, first-served basis.
Reservations may be made before June 1, 2010, assuming that rooms are
still available. After that time the hotel will not hold our block of
rooms for the convention. In other words, you should get your
reservation in soon.
Guestroom amenities include cable television, coffee pot, iron and
ironing board, hair dryer, and high-speed Internet access. The Hilton
Anatole has several excellent restaurants, twenty-four-hour-a-day room
service, first-rate meeting space, and other top-notch facilities. It
is in downtown Dallas with shuttle service to both the Dallas/Ft.
Worth Airport and Love Field.
The schedule for the 2010 convention will follow that of last year:
Saturday, July 3            Seminar Day
Sunday, July 4              Registration Day
Monday, July 5             Board Meeting and Division Day
Tuesday, July 6             Opening Session
Wednesday, July 7       Business Session
Thursday, July 8           Banquet Day and Adjournment

To pre-register for the convention, go to
www.nfb.org
We know that attending a national NFB convention can often exceed a
student’s budget. If you would like to attend the convention, talk to
your state or chapter president about potential funding. Many state
affiliates provide funding for their members to attend national
conventions. Also, your affiliate president may be able to help you
find people to share a hotel room in Dallas, which will cut costs.
NABS will hold our annual business meeting at the NFB convention on
Sunday, July 4. Stay tuned for more details about our business meeting
and other events for students!

New NABS Website:
We are working on reorganizing the NABS Website in order to make it
more user-friendly and to ensure that our information and resources
are all up-to-date and helpful. We expect to launch our new site by
the end of this month! If you have comments or suggestions, please
contact our NABS webmaster, Meghan Whalen, at
mewhalen at wisc.edu
.

Announcements:
>From the membership committee:
Continuing our NABS conference call series, we will be holding some
conference calls in April in which we will be discussing NFB
philosophy. More details will be posted soon. You can also receive
timely updates about our conference calls and other upcoming
activities by becoming a fan of National Association of Blind Students
on Facebook or following Nabslink on Twitter!
>From Wisconsin:
The Wisconsin Association of Blind Students is rushing around
completing the many last-minute tasks required to host the NFB of
Wisconsin's anual state convention.

We're going to have a great time!  On the afternoon of April 22, we're
having a seminar dealing with conflict resolution and leadership.
That evening, we'll have our anual technology seminar.  Friday night,
we'll have a talent show, Saturday, we'll be having a pie throwing
fundraiser over the lunch break, and We'll conduct a short business
meeting and elections before we head out to throw pies at state and
national leaders.  Saturday night, after the banquet and the auction,
we're having a mock prom, complete with photographer, music and
dancing, and we'll be having a goalball seminar Sunday shortly after
the convention adjourns.  April will be a busy month full of lots of
planning, organizing and learning.  WABS is very proud to host this
convention in Appleton Wisconsin.

>From North Carolina:
The NC Association of Blind Students hosted a student seminar on
Saturday March 20 in Raleigh. The day-long event was a complete
success; approximately three dozen high school and college students
gathered and participated in discussions on blindness and education,
importance and resources for learning Braille, sports, and social
involvement. Additionally, we organized an interactive community
service project with pre-school students and held a hands-on
technology fair. More information can be found at our website at
www.ncabs.org.

Brice Smith
President, NC Association of Blind Students
Brice.Smith319 at gmail.com

--
Arielle Silverman
President, National Association of Blind Students
nabs.president at gmail.com
Website:
www.nabslink.org