[Ncabs] Fwd: [Nfbofnc] Urgent Legislative Action on Newsline needed now

Cindy Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 03:18:51 UTC 2011

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Lusi98 <Lusi98 at nc.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 23:07:43 -0400
Subject: [Nfbofnc] Urgent Legislative Action on Newsline needed now
To: nfbofnc at nfbnet.org

Hi Guys.

I hope you have all had a happy Easter. I have, but now it's time to
go on with the work at hand. We are not doing well on our legislative
efforts this year. The past three years have been successful, but we
cannot afford becoming complacent this year. The legislative climate
has changed and we must redouble our efforts  People aren't popping
out of their offices and saying that they have heard from a lot of our
people.  This is disheartening to those of us at ground zero. If we're
not calling and emailing no other strategy that we may plan will be
effective. We have the reputation of being very effective. Let's keep
it that way.

Our first order of business is to call and email our state senators
and representatives in support of Newsline--Accessible Electronic
Information Service for the Blind and Disabled. They don't have any
idea what Newsline is, so use terminology that they will understand.
Don't limit your calls to members of the Health and Human Resources
Appropriations Committee, but call the senator and representative that
represents you. If you aren't sure who your elected officials are you
can call the legislative switchboard at 919-733-4111. They can tell
you who they are. They can also connect you to your representative or
Senator. When emailing use the pattern: firstname.lastname at ncleg.net.
If this bounces call me and I'll look up the email address for you. We
have many counties where we don't have many blind people. Feel free to
call elected officials from these areas. In other words, cover the
state with your calls. There is a small group going downtown to walk
through the buildings on Thursday morning to try to gain more support
for Accessible Electronic Information Service for the Blind and
Disabled. If you are a Newsline user and you didn't receive that
special email, I apologize. Let me know and you can come too. We need
to call and email these people to get their support for Accessible
Electronic Information System for the Blind and Disabled once every
two weeks until further notice.

Our talking points are:

  a.. people stay connected to their communities. We have six NC
papers on Newsline

  a.. One of the options on Accessible Electronic Information System
for the Blind is Career Builder. One thing that keeps people
unemployed is the inability to find jobs. Through this service blind
people can find jobs in the communities where they live.

  a.. Through Accessible Electronic Information System for the Blind
and Disabled readers have access to over three hundred newspapers and
magazines nation wide. Many business men, college professors, and
students use this service.

  a.. If you have a personal story about house Accessible Electronic
Information Service for the Blind and Disabled has impacted your life,
use it!!

  a..

  a.. You can pass this email on to any person-blind or sighted who
might help us. We could also use some sighted guides downtown when we
have several people down at the legislative buildings.

Keep on working. One of these years we will get this to be
automatically reoccurring, but until then we must keep holding those
ropes.

Thanks for the work you are going to do.

Lusi