[Ncabs] August 2012 Conference Call Minutes

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Aug 14 02:41:17 UTC 2012

Hello fellow blind students of North Carolina and everyone else:

Here are the minutes for tonight's call:

		Attendance
Ashley Collman
Kevin Currin (Secretary)
Justin Salisbury (President)
Elizabeth Troutman
Taey Mack
Lea Williams (Vice President)
Sharon Newton
Alan Chase (Treasurer)

Meeting called to order at 9:37 pm.

Treasurer's Report
Initial balance of $2,555. $300 went to Alan and $300 went to Justin for National Convention.
Check from super conference committee finally came in. It was $407 approximately, though it was supposed to be $450.
Current balance: $2363.

State Convention
Friday Morning: web use session
Friday Afternoon: iOS session with real, actual iPads. They want students for this session. Gary Ray has made it available to students first.
General disability rights dicussion by national rep. We can possibly get him to present at our student rights discussion on Saturday.
Jack Mitchell from Indigo Logics will have a presentation on GPS and other technology. We may now remove the GPS demonstration from Saturday because of the presentation on Friday.
Friday Night: Camp Dogwood has some facilities we can use such as a pool table. There may also be a dance for the whole convention on Friday night.

Saturday
We will probably have the apple product demonstration first.
We will allow 10 extra minutes for the paratransit transportation presentation by James Benton, 10 extra min for the gender discussion, and 10 extra min for the student disability rights discussion if needed because we have an extra 30 minutes due to the cancelation of the GPS demonstration on Saturday.

Fund Raising
If we sell all 60 packs of snacks we have we can raise $300. We can use the money for a few different things:
We could buy a half page add for $100 in the State Convention Add Book. (we are going to do)
We could pledge $100 at the banquet on Saturday night. (we are going to do)
We could sell raffel tickets with the snack packs (1 ticket per pack for a total of 60 tickets). Lea volunteered to put together the raffel tickets. The raffel will be held at the banquet for a $50 prize. (we are going to do).
We could have 5 $10 door prizes (we are not going to do).
So if we bring a total of $300, we will spend $250 at the convention.

Apple Product Demonstration
Ashley volunteered to present the iPod touch.
Lea volunteered to present the iPhone.
We need a Mac Book presenter.

Business Meeting
Possible Constitutional Amendments:
Return to the two Vice President position. This will give us an odd number of officers which can help for voting.
Raise dues from $5 to $10. These dues will be sent to the state and the state will handle national dues. This will allow us to receive full membership from the state and national branches.

New Division
We are thinking about starting an independent Wake Tech Association of Blind Students. Wake Tech has a lot of blind students, so a branch for them could be beneficial. This division would be separate from NCABS (that is it is its own division) but we may work together.

Get in touch with Sharon Weddington if you need transportation from the train station, bus station, or airport to Camp Dogwood.

The Democratic National Convention in Charlotte will be the week of the State Convention, so if you have to drive through Charlotte you will likely run into a lot of traffic.

Meeting adjourned at 10:37 pm.

Thanks,

Kevin