[Ncabs] I need your help

sharon_newton sharon_newton at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 8 05:34:20 UTC 2012

Great e-mail Justin.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Justin Salisbury" <PRESIDENT at alumni.ecu.edu>
To: "North Carolina Association of Blind Students List" <ncabs at nfbnet.org>
Sent: Friday, December 07, 2012 11:31 PM
Subject: Re: [Ncabs] I need your help

This has been a great conversation for an even better cause.  I'm really glad to see it.

Some people believe in a hierarchy of sight.  Those blind people with the most sight are
the most independent, and those with the least sight are the least independent.

Many sighted people ask blind people what percentage of their vision they have.  Vision
loss is usually nowhere near that simple.

Some sighted people think that they can imagine what it's like to be blind by simply
closing their eyes.  While some stimuli may be effectively presented this way,
accessibility barriers are not so simple as opening our eyes to navigate the problem.

Some sighted people ask me if I'm "partially blind or blind."  I tell them that I'm blind.
I have a legal document that says that I'm blind, but that does not mean that I can have
no vision at all.  It is perfectly acceptable for a blind person with some vision to call
himself "blind."

Some sighted people believe that the fact that blind people with no sight at all can
travel independently is the work of innovative, high-technology canes.  While cane
technology has indeed evolved in recent decades, independent travel is much more a
function of the skills of the blind person than it is a function of some electronic SMART
Cane.

Some O & M instructors believe that, if a blind person lifts his cane tip off the ground,
he will become disoriented and not know where he is, that constant contact between the
cane tip and the ground is vital.  Need I explain how wrong this is?

We are not all rich because of government money.  This seems absurd, but I have heard it
from many sighted people.  "Blind people are rich because they get money from the
government."

Some think that we want to sithome and collect government money.  We do not.  We want to
participate fully in society and contribute our fair share.

Last, but certainly not least:

Blind people are inherently less productive on the job and consequently less employable.
It is not right to expect blind people to produce at the same level as their sighted
counterparts.  Since blind people cannot be as productive in the work place, it is only
fair to both the employee and employer that the employer is allowed to charitably employ
blind workers at wages below the federal minimum wage.  This accommodates both the blind
person's desire for work and the financial needs ot the employer to not take a loss when
hiring and paying its workers.
This is absolutely incorrect!  With the proper training and opportunity (and both are
important), blind people can be equally as productive as their sighted counterparts.

Keep it up!

Justin

Justin M. Salisbury
B.A. in Mathematics
Class of 2012
East Carolina University
president at alumni.ecu.edu

“Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world;
indeed, it’s the only thing that ever has.”    —MARGARET MEAD