[Ncabs] Fwd: NABS Notes for January

Darian Smith dsmithnfb at gmail.com
Fri Feb 3 00:33:03 UTC 2012

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sean Whalen <smwhalenpsp at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2012 01:13:54 -0600
Subject: NABS Notes for January
To: nabs-l at nfbnet.org, List for NABS State Presidents
<nabs-presidents at nfbnet.org>

NABS Notes

January 2012

In this edition of NABS’ monthly bulletin:

1. NABS’ Mid-Winter Seminar is Upon Us

2. NABS Café: Good Times, Great Cause

3. Watch our Website

4. State Announcements

5. Meeting Minutes

NABS’ Mid-Winter Seminar is Upon Us

It’s just about that time of year once again. As you pack your bags and
prepare to converge on Washington DC for the NFB Washington Seminar, don’t
forget to mark your calendar for NABS’ Mid-Winter Gathering, being held on
Monday, February 6 in the Discovery II room of the Holiday Inn Capitol, 550
C Street SW, Washington, DC. Registration will open at 8:00am, and the
meeting will start promptly at 9:00 and run until 4:00. We will be
presenting speakers and holding breakout sessions from 9:00 to 1:00, and
after lunch, there will be a resource fair from 2:30 to 4:00. Come on out to
learn about scholarship opportunities, find out more about what NABS is up
to, and engage in discussions about technology and professional development.
Students will also have the chance to hear from a blind science Ph.D and
documentarian, as well as getting hot tips on legislative advocacy from the
NFB’s governmental affairs all-stars. Don’t miss it!

NABS Café: Good Times, Great Cause

When: Monday, February 6 from 8:00pm to midnight

Where: The Discovery II room of the Holiday Inn Capitol, 550 C Street SW,
Washington, DC

What: Live music; silent and live auction; cash bar, free snacks; and the
chance to meet and mingle with new friends and old, while supporting the
National Association of Blind students

How Much: $5 with advanced purchase and $7 at the door

Why: Because it’s going to be Awesome!

The National Association of Blind Students would like to cordially invite
you to attend NABS Café 2012!

Drop in between 8:00 and 9:00 pm to place silent bids on an excellent list
of auction items (including: a pair of Disney Park Hopper passes, a week in
a luxury 6 bedroom vacation home on North Carolina’s Outer Banks, a
SmartView video magnifier, a Victor Reader Stream, gift baskets from Lush
and Mary Kay, iPod accessories, chocolate, wine, and so much more), and then
stick around throughout the night as all-star auctioneer Jacki Brown brings
items live, while entertaining bidders and spectators alike!

>From 9:00 to midnight items will be auctioned off between sets of live
music, performed by some of the NFB’s most talented musicians, like Parnell
Diggs, Chris Danielson, Briley Pollard, Richie Flores, Sean Whalen, and
Michelle Yang.

And, of course, there will be a cash bar, as well as light snacks available
at no charge.

So, come on out, bring your friends, and make some new ones! All are invited
to support the important work of the NFB students.

To prepurchase tickets for $5, see any member of the NABS board on Sunday
February 5, or before the event on Monday, February 6. We’ll be all over the
hotel, and making our presence known. You can also find us at the NABS
winter seminar in the foyer to Discovery II between 9:00am and 1:00pm, or at
our resource fair for blind students between 2:30 and 4:00 pm in the same
location. If you wish to prepurchase, but are unable to find a NABS board
member, please call, text or email Sean Whalen at 608 332-4147 or
smwhalenpsp at gmail.com. We will get you hooked up! Tickets will also be
available for $7 at the door.

We look forward to seeing you on Monday February 6!

Watch our Website

The NABS Website Committee has been hard at work compiling a list of
resources for blind students for nabslink.org, and it is almost ready to go
live! Keep an eye on your inbox, because a link will be distributed shortly
to a test version of the page. We want all of you to check it out and let us
know what you think. Do you have suggestions for additional categories of
resources? Did we overlook something obvious that isn’t included? Do you
have a well-kept secret of a resource of which the world should be aware?
Let us know! The link will be circulated on our list serve in the near
future, and the page will be posted live before our February 6 meeting!

State Announcements

Note: All announcements are printed below as they were received from their
senders. No effort to edit for content, grammar or clarity has been made on
the part of NABS.

North Carolina

The North Carolina Association of Blind Students will be hosting its fourth
annual student seminar on St. Patrick’s Day, Saturday, March 17, 2012.  We
are quite proud of our exhibit hall; last year, it had 28 exhibits.  Our
event caught the attention of the North Carolina Conference on Visual
Impairment and Blindness, a professional conference for those who serve the
blind in North Carolina.  They contacted us, and we agreed to share the
campus with them for the seminar so that we could share the exhibit hall and
lunch.  To help fund the event, we have opened a formal sponsorship program.
There is no residency requirement, and everyone from everywhere is invited.
Our flyer is being distributed widely.  For more information, visit
www.ncabs.org <http://www.ncabs.org/> , or see the flyer that is attached to
this email.

Meeting Minutes

Please find the minutes for NABS’ January 2012 board meeting attached to
this message, as well as pasted below. As always, please do not hesitate to
contact me with any questions, concerns or suggestions. The NABS Board works
for you, and we want to know how we’re doing! Thanks for reading, and we’ll
be back in February.

Sean Whalen

President, National Association of Blind Students

(608) 332-4147

Nabs.president at gmail.com

National Association of blind Students

Minutes for 1-5-2012

The meeting was called to order at 8)40 Eastern.

Sean reports that the state presidents call will be held on January 25 at
8:30 Eastern. One of the plans for this call will be to set up a regular
meeting time.

Washington seminar: Domonique reports that they have collected 17 items for
the auction.

                Sean has put out a call on the lists to see who would like
to play at NABS Café.

                Domonique will also be Brailing the agendas for the student
meeting at LCB and will bring them with her.

                Sean has had a good response to the resource fair, and has
several confirmations.

                Sean and the Washington Seminar committee are still working
on organizing the agenda.

Website: Meghan is going to post the message about the Washington Seminar
meeting on our website for people’s reference.

                The committee is working on updating the contact list. Each
board member will remain in charge of updating their individual spreadsheet,
and Candice will be keeping the master list up to date.

Student Slate: Though we have been looking at publishing the Slate for
several weeks, we are still waiting on the NFB Washington Seminar fact
sheets. When those are posted we will put the link for them in the article
about Washington Seminar, to make them easier for people to find.

Membership: They held a call tonight about Washington Seminar, and there
will be another call next weekend.

Sean and Tony are working on a database for our membership, which will make
a huge step forward in terms of sending out our information and managing our
information.

We are still working on getting a spring seminar together.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:12 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Karen Anderson

1st Vice President

--
Darian Smith

"To dream what is possible and to put oneself in service of that dream is the
formula
for a life well lived."

- Dr. Peter Benson