[Ncabs] Minutes for January Call

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Jan 10 04:09:09 UTC 2012

Hello Fellow Blind Students of North Carolina,

Below are the minutes from tonight's call. It was pretty long and I did what I could to keep the minutes flowing coherently.

Well here ya go:

-------

Attendence
Justin Salisbury (President)
Justin Thornton (Web master)
Alan Chase (Treasurer)
Abby Lanier
Gary Ray (NFB of NC President)
Kevin Currin (secretary)

Meeting Called to order at 9:35

Treasurer’s Report
Slightly over $1700 in account.

Webmaster Report:
Replies to emails on the contact list from the NCABS website are for some reason going to Justin Thorton instead of the intended recipient.

Vendors:
Justin Salisbury has heard that all three NFB training centers are coming. Kevin Currin has heard that the Triangle Radio Reading Service is coming.

Structure of Seminar
Planning to have a 9 to 5 seminar.
Registration in the gym from 8-10 A.M.
Exhibit hall in the gym from 9-11:30 A.M.
General session from 11:45 to 12:15 in Lineberry auditorium.
Lunch in the cafeteria from 12:30 to 1:30 P.M.
Breakout sessions from 1:45 to 4:15.
Adjournment and door prizes from 4:30 to 5 p.m.

General Session
Talk about local chapters.
We may have a general session after the exhibit hall and before lunch (roughly 11:30 to 12:20).
Getting involved with NFB on national level will be in general session.

Breakout Sessions
Breakout sessions will be in the basement classrooms.
Three time slots and four options per time slot:
NFB training centers will run three sessions so everyone will get a chance to go to the training center breakout session.
Tactile graphics breakout session.
Dating and relationships breakout session dividing into high school and college (have earlier like around time slot A).
College Opportunities/student organizations and campus involvement.
Resume writing (Alan and Abby volunteered to lead it) (Time Slot B).
Sports/recreation session (time slot C).
Sports/recreation with Bridgeway Sports (Time slot A).
Transportation Session.
Orientation and mobility session.
Advocating for Accomodations in academics for high school and college (time slot B).

Door Prizes
Want to have a $100 gift card to give away at the end to try and get people to stay until the end of the seminar.

Need to start recruiting students.

Meeting Adjourned at 10:55.
------

Thanks and happy start of the semester/new year!

Kevin