[Ncabs] July 2012 Conference Call Minutes

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Jul 10 02:27:50 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone:

Here are the minutes for tonight's call:

Attendance
Alan Chase (Treasurer)
Kevin Currin (Secretary)
Justin Salisbury (President)
Sharon Newton

Meeting called to order at 9:38 pm.

National Convention
Justin was elected to board of directors of NABS at National Convention. Justin and his dance partner came in 4th place in a cance competition. Alan enjoyed talking with the lawyers and teachers groups. Both Alan and Justin had good experiences at National Convention.

Eye Retreat
This is the fourth year of the Eye Retreat (which is a college preparation/transition program). All of the slots are already full with students from NC and across the country. The Eye Retreat focuses on the difficulties the visually impaired people specifically will face as they enter college. There will be a mock course taught by a Professor at NC State. The Eye Retreat will also be partnering with the Rehab Center. People are already asking about the program for next year!

State Convention
We need to find something to do for fund raising. In the past we used snack packs. The materials for the snack packs used to be provided by Julius Locklear. We can try something like this again with a method to pay Julius back, or we could try something new. We will ask Julius about an arrangement for snack packs for this year’s convention.

Activities for Friday Night
We could plan something like a movie night, going out to eat, or something like that.
Please note that alcohol is not permitted on the Camp Dogwood campus.

--Let it be noted that Alan stated that if there is a redneck bar near Camp Dogwood, Justin will fit in just fine.--

Student Track
Events (not necessarily in this order):
Paratransit Presentation with James Benton
Discussions divided on gender: discussions will be broken up between men and women.
Apple product presentation
Student disability rights presentation
Beadwork presentation
GPS technology presentation
Business meeting

U-Improving-U Seminar
Has been set for the first weekend in October (5-7). Call to help set up the seminar will be on Sunday July 22, at 9pm. More details may be provided on the NCABS list.

Meeting adjourned at 10:26 pm.

Thanks,

Kevin