[Ncabs] June Conference Call Minutes

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Jun 12 02:40:06 UTC 2012

Hello Everyone,

Here are the minutes for this month's call:

attendence
Justin Salisbury (President)
Abby
Alan Chase (treasurer)
Brice Smith
Bobby Pompe
Veronica
Kevin Currin (Secretary)
Justin Thornton (Webmaster)

Meeting called to order at 9:43.

Justin knows a student at ECU who is doing a research study on people with vision loss. She will post her project on our NCABS list.

Registration for the state convention is at www.nfbofnc.org. The student rate is $50. You must register online to get the student rate. If you are not a student, online registration is $125 and in person registration is $130. The registration fee includes everything.

Student Track of State Convention
Will be on Saturday from 2-5 pm during the weekend of the convention.
Potential activities:
Beadwork
Apple technology presentation
wood work
Paratransit presentation by James Benton

We may have half an hour sessions, but we may extend certain sessions longer.
One idea was to have a discussion in which students are split into different groups based on gender so that there can be more open discussions about gender related topics. We will plan to have this is a regular half hour discussion.
Another idea was to have a discussion of legal rights that are currently available to blind and low vision students. We need to consider our audience (will the audience mainly be k-12 students or college students?). We may have promps. We also need to show how we can use our rights to advocate for getting what we need for education.
Another idea is to have a presentation on an NFB training center experience. We need to actually find out if students are interested in learning about NFB training centers. NFB training centers are places where you can go to learn basic and more advanced skills such as braille, cane travel, and other things. In general, NFB training centers can help give blind and low vision people the skills to live on their own.
Another idea was to have a discussion on different capabilities of different electronic devices such as GPS technology. We need to get someone to lead this discussion.

U-Improving-U Seminar
May not be in Atlanta. Will be somewhere in the South Eastern region.

Discussed the NFB boycott of Good Will.

Meeting Adjourned at 10:38 pm.

Thanks,

Kevin