[Ncabs] Boycott Goodwill on Facebook!

Cynthia Bennett clb5590 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 22:49:40 UTC 2012

Alan and all:

I see what you are saying. However, I think that the reason for this
lies in the fact that Goodwill is a well-known store that many people
shop at. Many other entities that pay their workers subminimum wages
are never seen by the public. These entities have their workers make
and assemble things based on contracts the entity has with companies.
Many of these companies are large and industrial like Boeing, and many
are government contracts. So it is likely that a civilian would only
use these products indirectly such as if they are flying on a
Boeing-made aircraft or being distributed uniforms through the
military. I am sure that there are some entities that do make products
for the public as I have not memorized the list, and I do agree that
information should be available about all of the entities. You can
view a list of all entities that have a wage certificate a
http://www.dol.gov/whd/specialemployment/CRPlist.htm

I do believe that this is a civil rights issue, so I will compare and
justify this with what I know. I am sure that many other restaurants
discriminated against African Americans, but the Greensboro 4, and
many activists before and after them chose to target a site that they
knew would garner media attention and spark change in other ways, and
they were right. I am referring to the sit-ins at Woolworth’s. So, I
think the NFB is trying a similar approach.

I understand that supporting this can be initially difficult since as
disabled people, we tend to be more active in the disability
community. We probably work with, interact with, and have friends who
volunteer with and work for organizations who place disabled workers
in work settings or who work in settings where disabled people are
paid less than the minimum wage. And I bet some of these friends are
disabled themselves. But we have been taught deceptively all our
lives, and it is time to get to the heart of the issue and understand
that the idea that certain people simply cannot hold a job being paid
the minimum wage is only propaganda. I would encourage you to view
documents put out by the Goodwill and the NFB to understand the issue
further before siding. In a press release yesterday, the Goodwill
attempted to revive the bad news story about them on a Washington D.C.
newscast. They mentioned how 84% of their billions of dollars in
revenue was put right back into the employment and support of people
with disabilities. This initially sounds honorable, but remember that
word “support.” Many of the support staff and executive staff of these
programs make lots of money. I’d prefer to see a percentage breakdown.
Also, the release mentioned that the average wage of a disabled
employee is over $7. Remember also, that not all of their disabled
employees are being paid a subminimum wage, especially the blind CEO.
So I’d prefer to see a breakdown on that as well, a separation of
averages between disabled people making sufficient and insufficient
wages. These are just a couple of ways you can break apart what you
read so you can realize if what you are reading can be taken another
way, or if there are sly ways of portraying inaccurate information as
valid and enough to justify ripping people off for their work.

Cindy