[Ncabs] Need Calls Made to NC Senators on Monday

Gary Ray ghraynfbofnc at charter.net
Sun Mar 11 00:11:39 UTC 2012

Fellow Federationists!

We need the calls below made on Monday, no later than 5 PM.  This is urgent.  If you have already done so, thank you!

Best!

Gary Ray

Action Needed on Monday

On Tuesday,  March 13, we believe that the Senate will vote on an amendment to the So Called Highway Bill.

The Highway bill is the surface transportation bill, S. 1813.  The amendment we are opposing is Senator Portman's
amendment 1742.

This amendment would take the Interstate Vending contracts away from blind Randolph Sheppard venders.  These venders are small business people who would be put out of business by this move to commercialize these sites.  It is bad for small business and especially for our small blind venders.

The Randolph Shepperd Act gave blind business people primacy for setting up small businesses in certain places.  The Act has come to cover Interstate vending locations.

On Monday, March 12, we need to call Senator Burr's office at202 224 3154 and Senator Hagan's office at 202-224-5342.  Ask to speak to the Senator's aide who deals with transportation.  Tell the aide that this amendment is bad for NC citizens who are blind.  Urge them to vote against the amendment.