[Ncabs] Next Steps for NCABS

Alan A. Chase aachase1 at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 00:59:34 UTC 2012

Thanks to all of you for your feedback on what you would like to see NCABS
promote this year.

Every single person who responded talked about connecting blind students
across the state.  Some also discussed focusing resources on rural North
Carolina and bulding membership.

On our October call, I will propose that we create two committees to help
us move forward with these visions.  First, I propose that a mentoring
committee be established.  This committee will work on developing a
statwide mentoring program so that we can connect studentsall across the
state with other blind individuals who are already in college, employed, or
have professional roles.  This should help us better reach out to rural
North Carolina too.

Second, I propose that a student seminar committee be established.  I'd
like to see NCABS host multiple smaller seminars around the state so that
we can reach more blind students.  This will help us build membership and
reach out to rural Nort Carolina.  I strongly feel that the more involved
and engaged we can keep blind students the more they will remain active
well beyond our time.

Please use the next few weeks to think about whether you wish to join a
committee and what ideas you may have to move these ideas forward.  Of
course, we will officially vote on these proposals in October, but I wanted
to get some lively discussion going ahead of time.

If you have questions or concerns, please let me know.

Thanks for all you do!

Alan
--
*Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.*
Special Education Teacher, Wake County Schools