[Ncabs] Google Accessibility

Sean Mealin spmealin at ncsu.edu
Sat Apr 6 18:08:50 UTC 2013

Alan,

While I agree with your final point that we should focus on the source
of the PDFs, I just want to clarify something that you said to
eliminate the chance of misunderstandings.  You said, “if you can't
force Google directly to make Google Scolar accessible [...]”.  As of
now, the interface to search for scholarly articles through Google,
the entirety of Google Scholar, is accessible using the major screen
readers.

If we are interested in attempting to make a positive change in the
accessibility of scholarly articles, we should focus on the
organizations that run the journals and conferences that publish these
works.  Just to draw a distinction, PDF libraries such as JSTOR,
Ebsco, etc, only collect PDFs from journals and conferences, while
organizations such as the IEEE and ACM actually publish the papers.

Sean