[Ncabs] minutes feb 11 2013

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Feb 12 03:52:07 UTC 2013

Hello fellow blind students of North Carolina and everyone else,

Below are our minutes for tonight's call.

Thanks,

Kevin
Attendance
Alan Chase (President)
Kevin Currin (Vice-President)
Lauren Siegel
Tyler Jones
Daria Bannerman
Ashley Coleman
Justin Thornton (Webmaster)
Devante Lewis

Meeting called to order at 9:38 pm

Approval of minutes from last meeting.

Officer Reports
1. President's Report
 EYE Retreat: about 10 to 12 people already applied to EYE Retreat. A tentative schedule for the retreat has been released. The EYE Retreat will again colaborate with NC State and may possibly include a mock science lab. Other activities like public transportation, career services, and recreation will also be provided. The EYE Retreat will again be colaborating with DSB, who will provide two workers to help with the EYE Retreat two weeks before the retreat starts.
2. Vice-President's Report
A. Humanware and Indigo Logix will be sending representatives to one or both of our seminars.
B. We hopefully will get a representative from Bridge to Sports to come to our Greensboro seminar.
3. Treasurer's Report
Balance: $2223

Student Seminars
We should be able to get facilities free for both of our seminars. We hopefully will be able to get most of our presenters to come for free. We do not provide money for transportation. Our main cost for the seminars will be lunch. We will likely again have a $10 registration fee for both seminars.
1. Greensboro Seminar
We may be able to get a self-defense instructor to come to give a presentation.
The Counsel for Exceptional Children at UNCG has agreed to cosponsor our seminar. This means that we can get a room on the campus for our seminar for free.
We still need to get a date for the seminar, but it will probably be on April 13.
2. Wilmington Seminar
We hope to get the Holiday Inn to provide some free space for our seminar. If not, we may see if UNCW can give us some space.
Surf Camp will give a brief presentation on sports and recreation.
Disability services presentation.
Transportation presentation.
Dating and relationships discussion.
Self-defense (maybe if we can find someone around Wilmington).
Officer introductions.
Membership building session.

Washington Seminar
We had 13 people from NC and a bout 500 from across the country come to Washington.
The three issues were:
1. Electronic textbooks in higher education: There needs to be an accessibility standard for all textbooks adopted by universities so that disabled students are not at a disadvantage. This holds true for books on devices like kindles and nooks as well.
2. Subminimum wages: A 1938 law made it possible for workers with disabilities to be paid less than the minimum wage. Goodwill Industries are one of the organizations that has a contract that allows them to pay disabled workers subminimum wage.
3. Military transportation for disabled veterans: retired members of the military are allowed to ride in military air crafts if there is space available. However, if a member of the military becomes disabled during military service, then that person is not allowed to ride in such air crafts. However, if a member of the military retires and then becomes disabled later in life, then that individual is allowed to ride in such air crafts.

Meeting adjourned at 10:19 pm.