[Ncabs] Homework and Meeting

Alan A. Chase aachase1 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 28 00:48:23 UTC 2013

All,

1.  Please be sure to attend the conference call Monday so that we may move
forward with planning both seminars.  Come prepared to share ideas for
possible sessions.  I will only keep you thrity minutes.  These
seminars can only be successful with your input.

2.  Your homework is to watch Nick News at 8pm just before our call.  I may
just ask some questions to be sure you have do so!  Nick News, a program
which airs monthly on the
Nickelodeon channel, presents the issues of our day in a way in which
children and teens are able to understand, helping them make sense of
the news. Hosted by former NBC and NPR reporter Linda Elerbee, this
program also features the stories of kids from around our country. The
episode which airs this Monday is no exception.

On Monday, January 28, Nick News will feature a
special they are calling "Out of Sight: How Blind Kids See the World."
On this episode, they will feature five blind kids from across the
country as they tell their stories and give insight into their lives,
showing that they are pretty much just like their sighted friends and
classmates. Some of the teens featured on this episode are active
Federationists, including Sophie of Louisiana and Chris of Maryland.
There may be other young Federationists featured on the episode, but I
do not know if any of the other interviewees are in fact members of
the National Federation of the Blind. However, I do know that our
philosophy will be exhibited by word and by example in this episode,
and I hope it will give the Nick News viewers a more accurate picture
of blindness and blind people.

This special will air on the Nickelodeon Channel on
Monday, January 28 at 8 PM Eastern, 7 PM Central, 6 PM Mountain, and 5
PM Pacific. The show will repeat at 11 PM Eastern, 8 PM Pacific for
those of you living on the West Coast. If you are not able to watch
the show when it premiers, it will be archived on the Nick News Web
site and on their iTunes podcast page. Before watching the episode,
please read two articles which have been published on the Internet
about it. First, the article previewing the special on the Nick News
Web site:
http://news.nick.com/01/2013/25/kids-see-through-the-challenges-of-bl
indness/>http://news.nick.com/01/2013/25/kids-see-through-the-challeng
es-of-blindness/; and an article published on the American Foundation
for the Blind's
(AFB's) Family Connect Web site for parents of blind children:
http://www.familyconnect.org/news.asp?AnnouncementID=1371http://www.family
connect.org/news.asp?AnnouncementID=1371.
Then tune into the Nickelodeon Channel on January 28 at 8 PM Eastern
to see the episode. I hope you can tune in on Monday!
Please feel free to share this information with anyone who may be
interested.

--
*Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.*
Occupational Course of Study Teacher, New Hanover County Schools