[Ncabs] Minutes June 10: Pie-Alan-in-the-Face Call

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Jun 11 13:23:16 UTC 2013

Hello fellow blind students of North Carolina and everyone else:

Below are the minutes for last night's NCABS monthly conference call. Yes, I am hereby declaring the call the "Pie-Alan-in-the-Face" conference call. It shall go down in the history as so. What history you ask? Our history, I answer.
Alan, I know we didn't vote on it, but that's called administrative discretion.

Attendence
Alan Chase (President)
Kevin Currin (first vice president)
Bobbi Pompey (second vice president)
Tyler Forsythe
Devante Lewis
Alanna Richardson
Preston Johnson

Meeting called to order at 9:40.

National Convention
National convention starts with pre-seminar events on Monday July 1 and goes through Saturday July 6. Registration is on Tuesday July 2.
NCABS is offering $600 for NCABS members interested in going to national convention.
Alan is going to national convention. Tyler and Bobbi are considering going to national convention.

Wrightsville Beach Student Seminar
The 2013 NCABS eastern seminar will be at Wrightsville Beach on Thursday July 18.
Envision Services is offering a block of hotel rooms for the night before student seminar. Space is limited and it is a first come-first serve basis.
For anyone wishing to stay in the hotel for any additional nights, the rate for the hotel will be about $275 per night.
The Island Women have offered to give rides from the Grayhound bus station to the seminar hotel. If you need a ride, you must let Alan know by July 1.
Kevin and his Grandfather are driving from Chapel Hill to Wilmington on the Wednesday before the student seminar. We can probably accomodate one to two people between Chapel Hill and Wilmington.

State Convention
NCABS will be handling our own registration at state convention. State convention will be in Fayetteville.
Envision Services may be able to help with hotel rooms at state convention also.
The student rate for registration and a banquet ticket will be $35.
NCABS will not be able to use the online pay-pal system for paying for state convention that the rest of the state will use because students will pay a slightly different rate.
NCABS members will be able to pay the student rate even if they do not pre-register.
We will probably use a google form for pre-registration. Alan will look into setting up a separate NCABS pay-pal account.
We will also have the option of people mailing Alan checks for registration fees.
Tyler suggested that Alan should look into getting a square for his iPhone to take credit card payments.

The student track of state convention will be on Saturday afternoon from approximately 12:30 until 4:30. We will have a business meeting.
We are taking suggestions for student sessions.
Kevin suggested having a paratransit session.
 Bobbi suggested having a more general transportation session that could benefit more people.
Tyler suggested that we could have NCABS attendees tell a transportation presenter ahead of time the areas of the state that they would like to know more about in terms of transportation.
Alanna suggested having a technology presentation.
Bobbi suggested having a self-defense session.
Tyler and Kevin suggested having a session that compares different screen readers.
Kevin suggested having a session on NFB philosophy.
Tyler suggested sending out a questionaire about the student track of state convention after the convention to get feedback.

Fundraising
1. Pie-in-the-face: Gary Ray (NFB of NC President) and Alan Chase (NCABS President) both generously agreed to take pies in the face in the name of NCABS fund raising.
We will not use an actual pie, we will use a pie tin filled with whip cream.
There are two options:
A. Both Gary and Alan get pied in the face and whoever donates the most money gets to throw the pie.
B. Gary and Alan will have separate jars. Which ever jar receives the most donations will determine who gets pied in the face; so if Alan's jar gets more money, Alan will be pied in the face.

We voted on both options and option B won.
2. Jail cell: We previously discussed renting a jail cell, like what is used at Relay For Life, as a means of fundraising. Individuals would be locked in the cell and people would pay to get them out.
However, we are having a hard time obtaining a jail cell.
  Bobbi suggested using something like handcuffs instead of a jail cell
Tyler said that he may be able to get help with building one.
3. Bake Sail: Kevin suggested having NCABS members and their family and friends bake something to bring to state convention and sell.

First Vice-President's Report
Kevin attended the NABS leadership seminar the weekend before last.
He learned a lot about fundraising, the NABS website, and NFB philosophy. He ate a lot of great food and had the opportunity to enteract with inspiring people from around the country.

Meeting Adjourned at 10:41 pm.

Thanks and I hope all of your summers are going well.

Kevin