[Ncabs] Call to Action on Legislation

sharon_newton sharon_newton at bellsouth.net
Mon Nov 11 16:19:52 UTC 2013

Hello everyone!

Here is the latest update on our issues:

S.1356 - WIA:
For the last three months our main focus has been  on meeting with Senate aides in their NC offices, hoping to persuade Senators Hagan and Burr to vote "no" on WIA because of the following issues:

1.  Title V, Section 511 of WIA.
2.  Language that mandates moving RSA from the Dept. of Ed. to the Dept. of Labor

Margaret Lawrynowicz is the point person in Senator Hagan's staff in D. C for WIA issues.  Her viewpoint continues to be "a job paying subminimum wages is better than no job at all."  Chris Topping is the staffer to call in Senator Burr's office.  He continues to be noncommittal, but he does seem to be more cognizant of the issues.  Therefore, we must continue to lobby.  We are not sure when WIA will go the to the Senate floor for a vote, but every day gives us more opportunity to let our senators know how detrimental it will be to us to have WIA passed in its present format.

H.R. 831 - Fair Wages:

We have 46 co-sponsors on this bill so far.  We can be proud that several of our NC reps have signed onto this bill.  As the reps have co-sponsored, I have let everyone know.  We need to keep lobbying those reps who have not yet signed on.

TEACH:

We hope to have a bill drop this week. I will let you know!

S. 346: - Space Available

We have 18 co-sponsors for this bill.  Neither of our NC senators have yet signed on.  Please contact Brooks Tucker in Senator Burr's office and Justin Clayton in Senator Hagan's office.

To call:

The main Capitol phone number is 202-224-3121.

Senator Hagan's office number is 202-224-6342.

Senator Burr's office number is 202-224-3154.

When phoning please ask for a call back.  If you do not receive a call back in a couple of days, please call again.

To e-mail:

www.burr.senate.gov  - the "Contact Me link is at the bottom of the page

www.hagan.senate.gov - the "Contact Kay" link is at the top of the page on the right.  Please ask for an e-mail back from the appropriate staffer.

Thanks to you all for each and every call and email.  Each contact is important and makes a difference.

Sincerely,

Sharon Newton