[Ncabs] NCABS October Conference Call Minutes

Travis Sherrill tssherrill at windstream.net
Wed Oct 9 01:26:40 UTC 2013

All:

Below you will find the minutes for the conference that took place on
October 7.

North Carolina Association of Blind Students October 2013 Minutes

Attendance

Alan Chase

Kevin Currin

Bobbi Pompey

Eric Galindo

Travis Sherrill

Veronica Puente

Kamille Richardson

Ashley Coleman

A motion was done to approve the minutes. The motion carried.

On the NCABS monthly conference call, we introduced the new officers and had
an introductory meeting as to what was expected of each officer.  On
Saturday, an officers meeting was held.  We discussed potential fundraising
ideas for NCABS which included a Krispy Cream Doughnut fundraiser.  This was
looked into and it is something we are considering doing.  We also discussed
other potential fundraising ideas but we are still working out the final
details on some of those fundraisers.

NCABS is attempting to start a scholarship that will be awarded annually.
Kevin is the chairperson of this committee.  He is looking for members to
help him on this committee.  He has drafted an application that may be
approved at our November meeting.

We discussed the possibility of moving the NCABS bank account from BB&T to
Wells Fargo because Eric the NCABS treasurer already uses this bank.  He is
going to check and see how possible this is and the advantages and
disadvantages of this.  We also discussed getting a debit card for NCABS.
Some of the pros would be that money could be drafted out of the account
after bank hours.  Some were concerned about the card being lost and the
number of people having access to the card.  This is something that is going
to be looked into further and will be reported on at our November meeting.

Finally, on our monthly conference calls, we are going to start having a
speaker to speak on a particular topic.  This week, Kevin spoke on how
employers do not understand that just because we are blind individuals, we
are just as capable of performing the same tasks as sighted individuals.  It
was an enlightening discussion and Kamille is starting an organization that
attempts to educate employers on blind people in the work place and
reasonable accommodations.

The meeting was adjourned by President Alan Chase at 10:30 p.m.