[Ncabs] NCABS April Minutes

Travis Sherrill tssherrill at windstream.net
Wed Apr 16 14:26:22 UTC 2014

All:

Below you will find the minutes from our conference call held on Monday.
Good luck as you finish your semesters and are taking exams and writing
papers.

North Carolina Association of Blind Students (NCABS) April Conference
Minutes

Attendance

Alan Chase

Bobbi Pompey

Kevin Curren

Monique

Devonte

Dora

On Monday, April 14, 2014, the North Carolina Association of Blind Students
(NCABS) held the monthly conference call.

Alan gave us an update on the eye retreat.  He said that only a few slots
remain and that capacity has increased from 30 to around 40 people on the
retreat for this year.  It was also stated that fundraising is going well.
They held a Ruby Tuesday fundraiser and that went well.  They have also held
other fundraisers.

On Saturday April 12, the Winston Salem Bomb Squad held a beeping Easter egg
hunt at Governor Morehead School.  Alan and Kevin went from NCABS.  Kevin
created a computer game for the kids to play.  They said that around 95 kids
were registered but they aren't sure exactly how many people actually showed
up.

Bobbi provided an update on the membership committee.  She is the chair of
this committee and is working on a public relations campaign to publicize
NCABS and help us grow further and reach students all across the state.  She
hopes to have a draft of this plan to share with us on our May conference
call.

NCABS is working to put a brochure together that explains who we are and
what we do.  A draft of this brochure is in the works and has been submitted
to Alan Chase.  It is hopeful that the actual writing of the brochure will
be completed by our May call.  Then we will just have to decide the next
phase for the brochure, how do we want to design it?  How are we going to
print it?  How are we going to distribute it?  Who are we going to
distribute it to?  Who is going to be our target audience?

Finally, we discussed national convention which is to be held July 1-6 in
Orlando, Florida.  As a member of NCABS, you need to start thinking
seriously about if you want to go or not.  We need to know how much money we
are going to be providing financial assistance for.  The hotel rooms must be
booked by June 1st.  Alan or Gary, can you clarify this date?  Also Gary,
would you mind clarifying something else for me?  We were talking about a
scholarship that is available for first time attendees of the convention.
Has the deadline for that scholarship application already passed and don't
the people applying for the scholarship have to have a recommendation letter
from the state president?  I think I read this someplace but I can't find it
now.

Finally, our next conference call will be held on Monday, May  12, 2014 at
9:30 p.m.  We hope that all of you will take time to join us on this call