[Ncabs] mats for building accessibility

Currin, Kevin kwcurrin at live.unc.edu
Tue Jan 21 17:02:48 UTC 2014

Hello Everyone,

I was walking to class a few minutes ago (I'm really early, I'm not writing emails in class) and was waiting until I reach a mat that would let me know that the door was on the right. Mats such as these are often placed in front of doors, potentially to allow people to clean their feet before entering a building. However, these are very useful landmarks if you aren't quite sure where the door is along a hallway or long sidewalk. The serve similar purposes to truncated domes that alert us when there is a curb.

This made me wonder if similar floor tactile devices could be used to identify other areas in a building. For example, I sometimes have trouble finding bathrooms and stairs in buildings that I am not familiar with. Perhaps a certain type of mat or floor pattern could be placed in front of a bathroom door or the doorway to a stairwell. This seems like it would be a good alternative to feeling along a wall looking for a bathroom sign.

What do you all think?

Thanks,

Kevin