[Ncabs] mats for building accessibility

Jewel herekittykat2 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 21 18:25:37 UTC 2014

I also like the mats in front of classrooms. It means I don't have to
count the doors or feel the wall to find the door. However, I don't
think people will be willing to put mats in front of other features,
such as bathrooms or stairs, nor any other kind of texture. I have
been trying for five years for the Rite-Aid by my apartment to put a
mat in front of the drop-off window. I have explained that I have
trouble finding it because it's only a gap in glass. My guide dog just
doesn't recognize the difference, an a  cane won't notice a difference
as it is only different up at counter level. They keep saying they'll
do it. I've talked to the pharmacists, the manager, and called the
store repeatedly. It wouldn't cost them anything, as they have extra
mats available to them. Yet they haven't done it in the five years
since I first requested it, and I have given up trying to explain why
it is important. I  have also tried unsuccessfully to get a simple
railing put into a  set of steps in front of the community college's
library. It is two sets of three steps. I have nearly fallen down them
before because I have bad balance and without a railing, I lose my
balance. I'm not the only one. There are several students with
cerebral palsy who have asked for the railing as well. They just
aren't receptive to putting in things that aren't required by law.
They have Braille signs, railings on long sets of stairs, elevators
for storied buildings...but they aren't willing to put in truncated
cones, railings for shorter steps, or any kind of extra feature. I
wish you luck in getting this for your school, and maybe you'll be
more successful.
Jewel