[Ncabs] Blind Idol

Alan A. Chase aachase1 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 6 15:58:40 UTC 2014

*WINSTON-SALEM INDUSTRIES FOR THE BLIND LAUNCHES N.C. “BLIND IDOL” SINGING
COMPETITION*

Competition open to legally blind contestants, entries due Sept. 30

WINSTON-SALEM, NC Industries for the Blind (IFB), based in Winston-Salem,
is looking for North Carolina’s best singers who also happen to be legally
blind to participate in the first-ever Blind Idol singing competition.
Interested singers can visit www.blindidol.com for competition details, and
the deadline to enter is Sept. 30, 2014.

As one of the largest employers of people who are blind or visually
impaired in the country, IFB has always organized company choirs, bands and
other music groups, but it was two employees who came up with the idea of a
statewide competition.  Anastasia Powell, program associate for IFB’s A
Brighter Path, and Chris Flynt, director of A Brighter Path, are both blind
and huge music fans.  Flynt, a gifted musician in his own right, knows that
the talent pool runs deep in North Carolina. “You don’t need to see to be a
performer or to enjoy music. You just have to feel it in your heart,” he
said.

The Blind Idol competition will have three phases – a preliminary round
based on audio submissions, and semi-final and final rounds with live
performances in Winston-Salem.  In the preliminary round, judges will
select 20 semi-finalists to perform at live auditions on Dec. 6, 2014 at
the Shirley Recital Hall at Salem College.  The judges will then select
five finalists to perform in a live finale competition on Feb. 28, 2014 at
the Southeastern Center for Contemporary Art.  The winner of Blind Idol
will receive a Grand Prize package valued at $3,000 including a $1,000 cash
award, recording time in a professional studio, professional headshot and
wardrobe gift card.

Powell, who is organizing Blind Idol, is hoping that the competition will
reinforce the message that people without sight should pursue their
professional and personal dreams.  “Losing my sight as a teenager was very
difficult, but I never let my blindness stand in the way of pursuing my
goals,” she said. “Today, I have three beautiful daughters and a rewarding
career with IFB.  If I had a voice like some of our choir members here at
IFB, I would definitely be entering!”

--
Alan A. Chase, M.Ed.
Exceptional Children Program Facilitator, Durham Public Schools