[Nd-talk] Pangea - Cultivate our Cultures!

Sherry Shirek sherrybeth7 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 00:05:47 UTC 2016

Join us on Saturday, November 19, from 10:00am to 4:00pm at the Hjemkomst
Center Museum for Pangea-Cultivate Our Cultures.

202 1St Ave N

Moorhead, MN 56560

This free, indoor, one-day, family friendly celebration of the tremendous
cultural diversity in the Moorhead-Fargo community draws community members
together to learn about each other through sharing their artistic and
cultural traditions. The exotic scents of Somalian samosas, Danish
abelskiver, and Filipino egg rolls waft through the air as dancers in rich
and colorful regalia perform to culturally unique music. Exhibitors display
information about their countries of origin, and many offer children's
learning activities in exchange for a flag sticker for the children's
"passports."

As visitors move through the four floors of the Hjemkomst Center, activities
may include learning to make Finnish paper birds or Mexican Ojo de Dios or
Eyes of God, learning about Indian mendi designs both ancient and
contemporary, exploring old Norse rune writing, trying out salsa dancing, or
writing one's name is Arabic. In the auditorium, different groups and
individuals perform every 30 minutes with dance and music most commonly
featured. Audience members are invited to participate in group dances of
solidarity, experiencing the arts first-hand and enjoying the camaraderie of
their newly discovered neighbors. Of course, Native American, Mexican, and
older-immigrant-American traditions such as Appalachian music and
German-American foods are also included in the array.

Join us on November 19 to help us strengthen the bonds of our community and
cultivate our cultures!

ASL interpreters, Assistive Listening Devices and Audio Description are
available. To reserve your ALD or AD receiver, or to request any other
reasonable accommodations please call or email Sherry Shirek 701-781-3055 or
sherrybeth7 at gmail.com

For an alternative format or email copy of the schedule of performances,
food vendor menu and vendor booths feel free to contact Sherry.

We look forward to seeing you on the 19th!