[Nd-talk] NFB of North Dakota Newswire, Vol. 1, No.4

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Fri May 12 16:54:37 UTC 2017

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind

of North Dakota

Vol. 1, No. 4

Next Meeting

All Are Invited to join us for our next meeting on Saturday, June 3, 2017 at
12-Noon.

Place:

Raddison Hotel Fargo

201 5th Street, North

Fargo, ND 58102

The hotel is on the corner of 5th Street, North.

We have a room reserved on the 2nd floor next to the Zest Restaurant. The
lunch/dinner menu is available online via the Raddison Hotel Fargo. If
joining us for lunch in Fargo, it is suggested that you arrive around 11:30
AM so that orders for meals can be placed with wait staff. They also have a
luncheon buffet.

For those who cannot make it to Fargo, you can join us via telephone by
dialing (712) 832-8300 and entering the code 9381122# If you are using a
mobile phone and want to save the phone number and room code to your
contacts, you can label it as Free Conference and between the phone number
and the room code use the punctuation mark "Comma". The conference room line
will be available at 12:45 PM and you should allow about 90-minutes for the
meeting.

Uber and Lyft Testing Program

The National Federation of the Blind  has created a rideshare testing
program to measure Lyft and Uber's efforts to eliminate driver
discrimination against riders with guide dogs or service animals. Recent
agreements with these two major ridesharing companies require the National
Federation of the Blind to provide feedback, over the next three to five
years,  on the efforts they have agreed to undertake to prevent
discrimination against service animal users.

If you use Uber or Lyft and have a service animal or travel with someone who
has a service animal, we need your help. Fill out our online questionnaire
after your next Uber or Lyft ride, and as often as you can after that. We
would love feedback from regular Uber and Lyft users at least once a month,
about both positive and negative experiences.

The questionair can be found at: https://nfb.org/rideshare-test

Some documents and related webpages have been created that explain the
testing program: https://nfb.org/rideshare and
https://nfb.org/rideshare-faq. This is a three year program, so we will need
to continue spreading this information beyond the launch date on May 8.
Valerie Yingling in the National Office is coordinating things on our end.
She has shared information with the testing POC's, including some sample
messaging and social media posts. Please get in touch with your affiliate
president and find out what is needed to make sure this testing program is a
success. If you have any questions, please feel free to reach out to Valerie
at vyingling at nfb.org or (410) 659-9314, extension 2440.

The testing program coordinator for the National Federation of the Blind of
North Dakota is Sherry Shirek and she can be reach at (701) 781-3055 or by
e-mail at  <mailto:sherrybeth7 at gmail.com> sherrybeth7 at gmail.com

Congradulations!

The National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota wishes to congradulate
James Yesel on being one of 30 recipient's to be apart of the 2017 National
Scholarship Class. He will be attending the national convention in Orlando,
florida during the week of July 10-15 to be mentored and receive his
scholarship award on Saturday evening during the banquet. More information
about Mr. Yesel will be in a future issue of the Newswire. It is hoped that
he will be able to attend the state convention in September where all can
personally congradulate him.

*         * * *

Please feel free to print and share this Newswire with family and friends so
that it gets wide distribution across the state of North Dakota.

If you wish to no longer receive this newsletter please send an e-mail
message to President Milton Milton Ota at  <mailto:mota1252 at gmail.com>
mota1252 at gmail.com with the subject NFB of ND Newswire and in the body of
the message state "remove".

This newsletter is produced by Milton Ota, President.

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511