[Nd-talk] NFB of ND Newswire - Vol 1, No. 10

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 6 02:18:28 UTC 2017

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind

of North Dakota

Vol. 1, No. 10

2017 NFB of ND Convention

Plan to join us for two days of learning and fellowship as the National
Federation of the Blind of North Dakota convenes for its 2017 State
Convention on Friday and Saturday, September 15—16, 2017.

Come and also meet our National Representative Dr. Fredric Schroeder,
President of the World Blind Union and former RSA commissioner.

There will be door prizes on both days and you must be present to win!

Place:

Ramada Inn and suite (formally the Baymont Inn and Suite)

3333 13th Avenue, South

Fargo, North Dakota

Friday, September 15:

8:00 AM Registration

8:30 AM Exhibit Opens

9:00 AM Welcome and Announcements\

There will be demonstrations of assistive technology, agencies that assist
blind and visually impaired person to answer questions, and a panel
discussion on options for rehabilitation services.

2:00 PM Panel discussion

Saturday, September 16:

8:30 AM Registration

9:00 AM Opening Ceremonies

We will have various speakers, a National Report from our National
Representative, a report from the North Dakota Talkingbook Library,
Vocational Rehabilitation Office, School for the Blind, our 2017 National
Scholarship Recipient, and much more. At the close we will have our annual
Business Meeting and Elections.

$Registration cost is $25.00 which includes lunch on Saturday. Please RSVP
to either Jesse Shirek by phone at (701) 781-2526 or e-mail him at
jesseshirek at gmail.com <mailto:jesseshirek at gmail.com>  You can also RSVP to
Milton Ota at (701) 731-0511 or e-mail mota1252 at gmail.com
<mailto:mota1252 at gmail.com>  by Monday, September 11.

National Federation of the Blind

And Hurricane Releaf

The following comes from the Office of the President.

To All:

During the past week, many members of the National Federation of the Blind
have reached out with offers of support for blind individuals impacted by
Hurricane Harvey. We have been asking that you hold those offers of support
until we could coordinate with our Texas affiliate, determine what needs
exist, and develop a plan that most effectively marshals resources to meet
the needs of blind people in impacted communities. We are now prepared to
mobilize the National Federation of the Blind’s Hurricane Harvey Relief
Project. Below are the things you need to know and ways that you can best
help.

*	The National Federation of the Blind Hurricane Harvey Relief Project
will be managed by Norma Crosby, president of the National Federation of the
Blind of Texas. Norma will be assisted by our national staff as needed.
*	How you can help:

*	Donate to our Harvey Relief Fund which we commit to only using for
Hurricane Harvey relief efforts. We will accept:

*	Gift cards to major retailers, because they are easier to share than
supplies. We encourage gift cards from Target, Walmart, Academy Sports and
Outdoors, Amazon, and Bed Bath and Beyond.
*	Transportation credits/gift cards for Uber and Lyft to provide
transportation assistance.
*	Financial contributions either online
<http://www.nfbtx.org/donate.php>  (be sure to write “Harvey Relief Fund” in
the note field) or write a check to the National Federation of the Blind of
Texas with “Harvey Relief Fund” in the memo line.

*	Adopt a family: If you would like us to match your affiliate/chapter
with a specific family that you can help, please reach out to Norma Crosby.
*	Help us find families that include blind individuals by sharing the
following information via email or on social media:

§  The National Federation of the Blind wants to help! If you, or a blind
person you know, has been impacted by Hurricane Harvey, please reach out to
the National Federation of the Blind for support from our Hurricane Harvey
Relief Project. Call (281) 968-7733, email ncrosby at nfbtx.org
<mailto:ncrosby at nfbtx.org> , or send us a message on our Facebook page.

Send all donations to the NFB Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund to National
Federation of the Blind of Texas, 1600 E. Highway 6, Ste. 215, Alvin, TX
77511-2595.
We appreciate the tremendous concern and offers of support being offered by
members and friends of the National Federation of the Blind. We thank you
for being patient as we determine where the needs exist and work to match
resources with the people that need help. Together with love, hope, and
determination, we will rebuild and transform our dreams into reality.

Legislative Alert

The following comes from John Pare:

To All:

After thirteen years of legislative and regulatory advocacy, as of Tuesday,
September 5, 2017, the Pedestrian Safety Enhancement Act and the associated
regulations are now final. This is a tremendous accomplishment for all of
us, and is a demonstration of our collective passion, tenacity, and
determination. These regulations will help us live the safe and independent
lives we want.

Having said that, Congress is back in session with the House scheduled for
twelve legislative days in September, and the Senate scheduled for
seventeen.

Our first call to action relates to the ADA Education and Reform Act. The
House Judiciary Committee plans to vote on this bill (referred to as a
markup) on Thursday, September 7. Please call Chairman Goodlatte and urge
him to postpone this vote until the appropriate research can be done and a
better solution proposed. For more information, read President Riccobono's
letter to Chairman Goodlatte
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/documents/pdf/goodlatte_hr620_06142017.pdf> .
Chairman Goodlatte can be reached at (202) 225-5431. As written, this bill
will significantly undermine our rights under the Americans with
Disabilities Act.

Our next most critical issue is the Access Technology Affordability Act
(ATAA) (H.R. 1734/S. 732). Both the President and Congress are putting
substantial focus on tax reform, thereby increasing the likelihood that the
ATAA has the potential to be included in any such overall tax reform. The
best way for us to increase this potential is by building cosponsor support
for both the House and Senate bills. As a result, please contact your
representative and your two senators to urge them to cosponsor H.R. 1734 in
the House and S. 732 in the Senate. We will be updating you on AIM HIGH, the
Marrakesh Treaty, the TIME Act, Space Available, and the Self-Drive Act in
subsequent legislative alerts.

A short summary of each bill is included below. I have also included a list
of all the current cosponsors. The best way to contact your member of
Congress is to call the Capitol Switchboard at (202) 224-3121 and ask for
the office in question. Emailing your member of Congress is also a good
idea. If you do so, please copy JPare at nfb.org <mailto:JPare at nfb.org> .

Bill Summaries

Accessible Instructional Material in Higher Education Act, H.R. 1772 (AIM
HIGH)

This bill will promote instructional technology and content that are
accessible to the blind and other students with print disabilities. Read the
AIM HIGH fact sheet to learn more. <https://nfb.org/aimhighfactsheet>

Access Technology Affordability Act of 2017, H.R. 1734 and S. 732 (ATAA)

These bills will facilitate the purchase of access technology for blind
people by creating a refundable, per person tax credit. Read the Access
Technology Affordability Act of 2017 fact sheet to learn more
<https://nfb.org/access-technology-affordability-act> .

Transitioning to Integrated and Meaningful Employment Act of 2017, H.R. 1377
(TIME)

This bill will increase employment opportunities by removing stigmas and low
expectations propagated by section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act.
Note that the bill now phases out subminimum wages over a six year period
corresponding to the recommendation of the National Council on Disability.
Read the TIME Act fact sheet to learn more. <https://nfb.org/timefactsheet>

Please feel free to distribute this to your friends and family and anyone
interested in knowing about the National Federation of the Blind of North
Dakota.

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

blindness is not what holds you back.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.