[Nd-talk] FW: Summer 2018 NASA Internships: Slide Show Attached

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 19:18:49 UTC 2018

From: Silberman, Kenneth A. (GSFC-1600) [mailto:kenneth.a.silberman at nasa.gov]
Sent: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 12:34 PM
To: Silberman, Kenneth A. (GSFC-1600) <kenneth.a.silberman at nasa.gov>
Subject: Summer 2018 NASA Internships: Slide Show Attached

•         NASA offers two types of internships: Pathways Internships and  Education Internships.

Pathway Internships are managed through the Office of Human Capital Management and the Pathways website:        http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/

Education internships are managed through the Office of Education and the One Stop Shopping Initiative (or OSSI) website:  https://intern.nasa.gov

•             United States Citizen

•             Attend an accredited college or university on at least a half time basis.

•             Degree seeking student pursuing a science, engineering, math, and or business field of study but not limited to just these.

•             Achieved good scholastic standing (Cumulative GPA 2.9 or higher on a 4.0 scale)

STEM majors:

•         Technology: Airborne Science Research, Balloons & Sounding Rockets, Computer Science, Electronics, Nanotechnology, Software Engineering, Systems Engineering/Design;

•         Engineering: Aerospace Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Civil Engineering, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Detector Systems, Environmental Engineering, Instrumentation Engineering, Materials Engineering, Composites Applications, Mechanical Engineering, Microelectronics & Signal Processing, Optical Engineering, Robotics, Thermal Engineering

•             Create an Account on USAJOBS®

•             Be sure to build your comprehensive resume on USAJOBS®. Select “searchable.” You can store up to 5 different resumes and customize your resume for each job.

•             Create Search Agents to get “new” jobs e-mailed to you.

•             APPLY EARLY! (Goddard opportunities out Fall and Spring)

•         *Find the opportunity that meets your educational and career goals at http://nasajobs.nasa.gov/

•         •Click the “Apply Online” button

•         •Select the resume you want to use and submit

•         •Carefully read and answer all of the supplemental questions from the NASA portion of the website

•         •Complete the survey

•         •You will receive an email confirmation from NASA. If you don’t, return to USAJobs to check your application status

•         * Opportunities out Fall and Spring

•         Ranked #1 Best Place to work in the Federal Government for the last 2 years

•         Ranked #1 Support for Diversity

–     Diversity and inclusion is promoted and encouraged in every aspect .

•         Pay

–     We ranked #2 for employee satisfaction with their pay, work-life balance and alternative work schedules allowing telecommuting and flex-time schedules.

Ranked #1 for Effective Leadership

NASA employees feel that our leaders motivate us and are committed, encourage integrity and that we are managed fairly.

We also feel that our leaders are concerned about our professional development, our creativity and that we as employees are empowered.

We believe that management ensures that we have the necessary skills, training and abilities to do our jobs well.

Ranked #1 for Employee Satisfaction

•         We are rewarded and promoted for outstanding accomplishments.

•         We get satisfaction from our work and know that our skills and talents are used effectively!

•     10-week on-site summer experience for college students

•     At any of the 4 Goddard campuses

•     Summer 2014: Goddard hosted over 400 interns

•     All internships are paid: stipends vary (can be $6,000 )

•     Students must obtain their own housing for internships

•     All college students apply at:  intern.nasa.gov

•     System opens for Summer 2015 on Monday, Nov. 10, 2014

•     Deadline for applications Sunday, March 1, 2015 — don’t wait.

•     Goddard selections begin early 2015

•     A limited number of academic year opportunities

•     Internships are available

•        Accommodations can be categorized in the following manner:

–   Assistive Technology / Equipment:  Screen readers, video phones, ergonomic chairs.

–   Services & Training:  sign language interpreter, readers, scribes, specialized training.

–   Work Schedules:  Flexible work schedules, changes in tour of duties, telework.

–   Other:  Environmental, changes in non-essential duties, etc.

•        The primary goal of reasonable accommodation, hiring initiative, or any other focus on individuals with disabilities is to create a working environment where everyone has an opportunity to contribute their time, energy, passion, talents, and knowledge to the agency’s mission and goals.

–    Disability is inclusive.

–    Disability is a natural part of human development.

Equal Opportunity Programs Office (Code 120)

Veronica Hill, Director

Denna Lambert, Disability Programs Manager

Located:  Bldg 8 Room 445

Phone:  (301) 286-7348

http://eeo.gsfc.nasa.gov/

•         Read the job announcement and follow directions carefully.

•         Federal resumes can be longer and require more information than private sector/non-profit resumes.

•         Searchable: Include all work experience, skills, and knowledge, including paid and unpaid jobs (internships). Similar to a curriculum vitae (CV).

•         Tailored: Tailor your resume to include only the job relevant work and academic experience. Note NASA related projects.

•         Study job announcements to determine important keywords in your field.

•         Focus on the "requirements," "skills" or "qualifications" sections of job ads, and look for “buzzwords” and desirable credentials for your ideal job. If you have those skills, mirror these buzzwords/language on your resume.

•         Self-certification must match experience on resume.

•         Use action words to describe work experience such as “Managed, assisted, responded, planned, coordinated, met with, implemented, communicated with, tested, developed, spearheaded…”

•         Use the S.A.R method. Situation, Action, Result.

•         Include special skills like computer proficiency and language ability.

•         Plan ahead -Allow plenty of time to thoroughly proof read and complete your application (no grammatical errors). Apply by the deadline.

•         Note Veteran’s Status

Example: Job description requires experience writing press releases. If you have that experience, your resume should provide specific examples.

Use quantitative measures to highlight accomplishments. Provide sense of scope and complexity. Resume should be results driven.

-Wrote news releases vs. Wrote 25 news releases in a three-week period.

 -Managed a student organization budget of more than $7,000 and 100 members.

 -Suggested procedures that decreased processing from 10 to five minutes.

---