[Nd-talk] NFB of North Dakota - Newswire Vol. 1, No. 16

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:31:05 UTC 2018

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind of

North Dakota

Volume 1, No. 16

Monthly Meeting of the NFB of North Dakota

Our next monthly meeting of the NFB of North Dakota will be on Saturday,
February 10, 2018 from 2 PM to 4PM.

Place:

Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream

2511 South University Drive

Fargo, North Dakota

We will have the usual agenda items at the beginning of the meeting and then
it will be followed by a presentation by member Richard Early.

The conference line will open at 2 PM for those who cannot join us live at
Happy Joe's Pizza. To join the conference call (712) 832-8300 and enter the
room ID 9381122#

If you would like something placed on the agenda, please contact President
Milton by phone or e-mail.

Hope to see you all!

Jernigan First Timers Memmorial Scholarship

If you are thinking about attending the annual convention of the National
Federation of the Blind from Tuesday, July 3 to Sunday July 8, and want
assistance to help cover expenses, you have until April 15 to submit your
request. Your request needs to be accompanied by a recommendation note from
the affiliate president.

To qualify, you must have never been to the any national convention of the
National Federation of the Blind; must register for the 2018 convention by
May 31; have reservations secured at the headquarters hotel which is the
Rosen Shingle Creek, Orlando, Florida; make your own air and ground
transportation; must attend the entire convention including the banquet on
the last day of the convention; and be able to cover all of this cost up
front.

Awardees will be notified by the Kenneth Jernigan Committee by letter by May
15 with details of how to receive your First Timers Assistance.

For more details about the Kenneth Jernigan First Timers Memmorial
Scholarship please refer to the December 2017 issue of the Braille Monitor.

NFB of North Dakota Schwan CareR

For the past year and a half we have enjoyed earning funds from the Schwan
Food Home Delivery and the Schwan Care Program.

We need everyone to get onboard with helping to raise funds to build up the
treasurer and the Schwan Care Program is one of the easiest way-you don't
have to sell any product that you get stuck with or have to pick-up and
deliver or even handle any money. All one has to do is to set up a Schwan
account either by phone or on the web, place your order and provide the
campaign code, then wait for the Schwan Man to deliver what you have ordered
right to your door.

Here is what you need to do!

Call: 1-855-870-7208 and provide the campaign code 36091

Or

Web: https://preview.tinyurl.com/yb2l7f3c

So, talk to your friends, co-workers, neighbors, and relatives tosee if any
of them would purchase regularly from Schwan Foods and help the National
Federation of the Blind of North Dakota.

If you would like flyers to hand out to your contacts, to the above web
address and download and print the flyer from our campaign page.

Nfb 2018 Scholarship Program

The deadline is fast approaching to apply for the national NFB Scholarship!
The deadline is March 31, 2018. For more information and to apply go to the
following:

https://nfb.org/scholarships

News:

Autos2050SM Award:

This Wednesday, I will be receiving one of the inaugural Autos2050SM awards
being presented by the Auto Alliance and the Alliance for Transportation
Innovation. The award is in recognition of the work of the National
Federation of the Blind, and we will be among twelve state and national
political leaders and automotive innovators who will be honored at a dinner
and awards presentation in Washington, DC. The award recognizes our work to
influence the direction of autonomous vehicle technology so that it will
enhance the independence and mobility of blind people. More information can
be found in
<https://nfb.org/nfb-president-receives-automotive-innovation-award> our
press release.

Great Gathering-In on Facebook Live:

If you cannot attend the Great Gathering-In at Washington Seminar next
Monday, January 29, you can still be part of the action via Facebook Live.
We will be streaming the Great Gathering-In on the National Federation of
the Blind Facebook page
<https://www.facebook.com/NationalFederationoftheBlind/>  beginning at 5:00
p.m. eastern, and I invite you to tune in.

The January Braille Monitor is now available:

I'd like to call to your attention an article I wrote for the January
Braille Monitor, "
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1801/bm180102.htm> Ending
Accreditation without Authenticity: A Call to Action for the Fourth
Generation of the Federation." I encourage our members to read the article
and take action via email and social media to urge AER to end NAC. You can
read the entire
<https://nfb.org/images/nfb/publications/bm/bm18/bm1801/bm1801tc.htm>
Braille Monitor online.

New Nation's Blind Podcast Bonus Series:

We've created a bonus series of the Nation's Blind Podcast called
"Government Affairs of the Blind (GAB) Session," wherein members of our
government affairs team break down some of our legislative priorities. The
first three episodes are available now and cover three of our Washington
Seminar issues:  <https://nfb.org/nations-blind/gab-session> H.R. 620,
<https://nfb.org/nations-blind/gab-session-2-ataa> ATAA, and
<https://nfb.org/nations-blind/gab-session-3-%E2%80%93-aim-high> AIM High.

Presidential Release Transcripts:

Each month when the Presidential Release is recorded and posted to the NFB
website, we also post the links to the English and Spanish transcripts
<https://nfb.org/presidential-releases> . This is particularly useful for
our deaf-blind members.

NFB Rideshare Monitoring Program

We have completed phase One of the NFB Rideshare Monitoring program of Lyft
and Uber and have met the minimum reporting requirements. We still have
another 2 more years to go and phase two began on January 1, 2018. I want to
thank Sherry Shirek for the hard work she has put into frequently taking
Uber and reporting her ride experience with her guide dog Milly.

If you use or know someone who uses a guide dog and uses Uber, we would
appreciate it very much if they would complete a questionair on the web to
help in this monitoring program.

This monitoring program was begun because of a settlement with Uber and Lyft
because guide dog users were being denied rides with these ride sharing
companies. Reporting will help to prevent discrimination against guide dog
users. If you have questions, feel free to contact President Milton Ota at
(701) 731-0511 or e-mail mota1252 at gmail; Sherry Shirek (701) 781-3055,
e-mail sherrybeth7 at gmail.com <mailto:sherrybeth7 at gmail.com>

If you have questions about this newsletter, please contact the editor
Milton Ota at (701) 731-0511 or e-mail mota1252 at gmail.com
<mailto:mota1252 at gmail.com>

Please feel free to distribute/share this newsletter with anyone you thing
might think might be interested in reading it. Please share the entire
content.

I hope you enjoyed reading this newsletter.

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

909 8th St., S.

Fargo, ND 58103-2723

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.