[Nd-talk] Newswire Vol. 2, No. 22

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 25 20:46:22 UTC 2018

NEWSWIRE

National Federation of the Blind of

North Dakota

Vol. 2, No. 22

Upcoming Meeting

Its time to hold another meeting and the date, day and time is Friday,
August 3, 2018 from 7 PM to 9PM.

Where: Happy Joe's Pizza and Ice Cream, 2511 South University Drive, Fargo,
ND 58103

Agenda: Presidential Release, Upcoming convention, Legislative Report,
Fundraising Report, etc.

The phone lines will be open for those who are unable to come to Happy
Joe's, call 605 475-6333 and enter the room ID Star 127640 pound.

2018 State Convention

The annual State Convention of the National Federation of the Blind of North
Dakota will be on Friday, September 7, for all members in good standing and
the program of the convention will be on Saturday, September 8.

Where: Holiday Inn Fargo, 3803 13th Avenue, Fargo, ND 58103

Cost: $25.00 for Lunch on Saturday.

If you are a member in good standing and attend all day Friday, lunch will
be provided.

Please RSVP by Friday, august 31, 2018 to Milton at 701 731-0511.

Our Saturday program will include the National Report from our National
Representative, Division of vocational Rehabilitation, ND Talking Book
Library, School for the Blind, Report from our First timers and 2018 NFB
Scholarship Winner.

I'm pleased to announce that our National Representative representing
President Riccobono will be longtime Federationist, National Board Member,
New Jersey President Joe Ruffalo.

There will be door prizes and if you are able, we could use door prizes that
either you get people to donate or purchase and bring them to the
convention.

Legislative Update

In late June the Senate voted to pass out the marakesh Treaty. See the
sample text to use when you call.sample text below to be used when you

Please call House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI 01) and Majority Leader Kevin
McCarthy (R-CA 23) today and urge them to Place the Marrakesh Implementation
Act on the Suspension Calendar before adjourning this week. You can reach
Speaker Ryan's office at (202) 225-0600, and Majority Leader McCarthy's
office at (202) 225-4000. I have included a sample script below for your
convenience:

Hello, my name is ___, and I am calling to urge the Speaker/Majority Leader
to place the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act (S. 2559) on the Suspension
Calendar this week. The Marrakesh Treaty and its implementing legislation
were passed unanimously by the US Senate on June 28, 2018. This treaty will
expand access to information for thousands of blind Americans like me here
at home and around the world.

Thank you for all of your hard work to get the Marrakesh Treaty
Implementation Act across the finish line!

Hello, my name is ___, and I am calling to urge the Speaker/Majority Leader
to place the Marrakesh Treaty Implementation Act (S. 2559) on the Suspension
Calendar this week. The Marrakesh Treaty and its implementing legislation
were passed unanimously by the US Senate on June 28, 2018. This treaty will
expand access to information for thousands of blind Americans like me here
at home and around the world.

Thank you for all of your hard work to get the Marrakesh Treaty
Implementation Act across the finish line!

For questions, call Milton Ota at 701 731-0511