[Nd-talk] Fw: [Leasey] New Training Course. Catching up with JAWS: The Next Chapter!

Milton Ota mota1252 at samobile.net
Mon Oct 15 21:25:07 UTC 2018

Forwarded message:

From: Brian Hartgen via Leaseylist <leaseylist at hartgen.org>
to: "'Leasey'" <leaseylist at hartgen.org>
Cc: Brian Hartgen <jaws at hartgen.org>,
 'StationPlaylist with the Keyboard' <splscripts at hartgen.org>
Subject: [Leasey] New Training Course. Catching up with JAWS: The Next Chapter!
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2018 20:09:59 +0100

Introduction.

Now is your chance to get some high quality training on some of the
latest features within the screen-reader JAWS for Windows which have
been introduced over the past two years. This follows on from our
previous popular training course Catching Up with JAWS.
<http://www.hartgen.org/catchup> Ideal for JAWS users, Trainers,
Consultants and anyone interested in the screen-reader!

If you are a person who chooses to upgrade your copy of JAWS on a
regular basis, or maybe you've skipped an upgrade or two and you are
about to update your computer to JAWS for Windows version 2019, chances
are that you may not have had time to get to grips with the latest
features the screen-reader offers. While JAWS does contain excellent
documentation, there's nothing like someone sitting down with you to
explain how many of these new features work.

That's why at Hartgen Consultancy, we've created a short course to
enable you to get your JAWS knowledge up-to-date. The course focuses
upon the new features included with JAWS versions 2018 and 2019 which
you may have missed out on.

With the new annual subscription to JAWS on the horizon starting in the
US, (designed to make it easier for people to obtain JAWS or to jump up
to the latest release), it's a good chance to get your knowledge
updated. Not only that, this training course is ideally suited to users
of Zoomtext Fusion too.

Purchasing JAWS is a significant investment, so it is important that
you make the most of what you've paid for and that you are taught by
someone who fully understands all aspects of using it. You may also be
an access technology Trainer, or an I T Lecturer in a College who has a
basic awareness of how JAWS works but again is not up to speed with the
latest enhancements.

What You Will Learn.

This course is in one session lasting at least 90 minutes. It is
designed for anyone who already understands how to use many functions
of JAWS but who would like to gain a greater skill level with the
latest features. The features are demonstrated with real world examples
so that they make sense.

Topics include:

   * New enhancements to the JAWS Startup Wizard.

   * JAWS version number change.

   * How is JAWS working with Microsoft Edge? What you can do and what
you can't do.

   * The power of JAWS OCR. How it works with scanners, cameras and files.

   * New verbosity options for the Virtual Cursor.

   * Reading dialog boxes in modern apps.

   * Living by numbers. What's new with the Windows Calculator?

   * JAWS support for Skype version 8.

   * Enhancements within Windows10 and Microsoft Office 2016/365.

   * Faster startup time.

   * Notification of Spelling Errors in Microsoft applications. How to
work with them and disable them.

   * Speak character phonetically after pause during character
navigation, similar to how VoiceOver functions on an iDevice. How to
vary the reporting speed and disable it.

   * Audio Ducking in Windows10.

   * Catching up with Braille. How has the Braille support changed over time?

   * Using JAWS 2019 on the ElBraille.

   * Other Tips and Tricks which are hidden away just waiting to be found.

What Else do I need to Know?

There will be plenty of opportunities to ask questions regarding the
topics under discussion, however this is achieved in a structured
manner. This ensures that you can focus on learning the concepts being
taught. There is a breakout session after approximately 15 minutes of
instruction so that you do not forget the question you wish to know the
answer to.
After all the topics are concluded, there will be the chance to ask any
questions relating to JAWS-related subjects not covered: an open forum
if you will.
Again, this will be structured and will be explained at the time of the
training course.

The course will be delivered online via our accessible Zoom Confrencing
platform. If you have not used this conferencing software before, you
will receive instructions one week prior to the commencement of the
course. This software allows for the delivery of the presentation,
including the output from the screen-reading software. The audio is of
a high quality. We develop the JAWS scripts for Zoom which are
downloadable free. <http://www.hartgen.org/zoom>

You can also participate by telephone in the UK, US, Ireland, Canada,
Australia and New Zealand. This maybe particularly helpful for people
who are unable to work with the Zoom application on the computer for
whatever reason.
Finally, there is a very accessible I O S app for Zoom if that is your
preference.

If I Purchase the Course, What Will I Receive?

The course will give to you:

   * Full participation in the training course using Zoom Conferencing.
The lesson will be on Wednesday 7 November at 7 PM UK time which is 2
PM US Eastern.

   * An audio recording of the lesson;

   * A text keystroke summary to cover all topics covered in the lesson.

The audio recording, documentation and the conference area are accessed
through a secure area of our website which is only available to course
participants. If you cannot make the training date, please don't worry.
You can still take advantage of the archive of the webinar, which will
be uploaded the following day after editing.

Course Prerequisites.

It is important that you have:

   * A computer or portable device with an internet connection;

   * Optionally, a microphone so as to ask questions within the course;

   * JAWS for Windows. We highly recommend the use of JAWS version 2018
or 2019.

How to Purchase.

Catching Up with JAWS is priced £30 which is approximately 42 American
dollars. Purchase Catching Up with JAWS The Next Chapter.
<https://www.hartgenconsultancy.com/store.php?rn=681&action=show_detail>

Alternatively, anyone can purchase the course by sending an Email to
jaws at hartgen.org <mailto:jaws at hartgen.org>, whereupon a fully
accessible electronic invoice will be sent to you which can be paid
through PayPal or any major credit or debit card. Orders can also be
placed by telephone:

   * Call us (from within the UK): 02920-850298.

   * Call us (from the United States): 415-871-0626.

   * Call us (from any other country): (+44)2920-850298.

If you would like to read the views from participants of our previous
courses, please Visit our Training area. <http://www.hartgen.org/training>
You can also download an extract from one of our previous training
courses, "Don't Be Twixt, Be Tween", right here.
<http://www.hartgen.org/audio/OpenTween/OpenTweenIntro.mp3>

Conclusion.

With JAWS 2019 about to be released, be sure you are at the cutting
edge and become familiar with everything new in this upcoming release
and its predecessor. You'll be glad you did!