[Nd-talk] Notes from Presidential Notebook for 2/11/2019

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Mon Feb 11 21:12:31 UTC 2019

I have edited the original message for clarity and provided phone numbers
for you to our Congressional Deligates.

Dear Federation Family,

Last week was a beautiful reminder of why I love the people in this
organization. The outpouring of love and support that came from all of our
affiliates for the loss of Rachel Olivero was really tremendous. You should
know that we had a wonderful celebration of her life here at the National
Federation of the Blind Jernigan Institute on Friday, which was helpful to
Rachel's biological and Federation families. In case you missed it, you can
write a note that will be included in a book about Rachel at
<http://www.bit.ly/rachelolivero>.

Things have really taken off since our Washington Seminar. I believe we can
get a lot of movement on our priorities by the time of our national
convention. Now is the time for you to make the local follow up and help
push some of our initiatives forward. Please note the legislative items
below.

Supporting Elimination of 14(c): Transformation to Competitive Employment
Act:
H.R. 873 was introduced on Wednesday, January 30, 2019, by Chairman Bobby
Scott and Congresswoman Cathy McMorris Rodgers. S. 260 was introduced on
Tuesday, January 29, 2019, by Senators Bob Casey and Chris Van Hollen. This
bill phases out and sunsets Section 14(c) of the Fair Labor Standards Act
over a six-year period.

You can reach our Congressional Deligates at the following numbers:

Senator Hoeven: (202) 224-2551

Senator Cramer: (202) 224-2043

Representative Armstrong: (202) 225-2611

These numbers that I have provided are direct numbers to their offices in
Washington, D.C.

News:

Ratification of Marrakesh Treaty:
On Friday February 8, 2019, over a decade of our persistent advocacy
culminated with the United States' official ratification of the Marrakesh
Treaty. By submitting the necessary paperwork with the World Intellectual
Property Organization (WIPO), the United States is days away from benefiting
from access to the world's knowledge. Read our news brief at
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/national-federation-blind-celebrates-ra
tification-marrakesh-treaty>, and WIPO's announcement at
<https://www.wipo.int/pressroom/en/articles/2019/article_0002.html>.

Lawsuit Against EPIC Systems:
I had the opportunity to talk to Wisconsin Public Radio about our legal
action and this piece gives a nice overview of our work, perspectives, and
strategy. The interview is available at
<https://www.wpr.org/listen/1395591>.

Internal Revenue Service Forms and Written Communication:

The NFB is investigating the accessibility of Internal Revenue Service (IRS)
forms and written communication. If you have requested or would like to
request alternative format documents from the IRS-such as Braille, large
print, or audio-please contact Valerie Yingling, legal program coordinator,
at vyingling at nfb.org <mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> or 410-659-9314, extension
2440.

Job Search Engines and Pre-Employment Testing:

The NFB is investigating the accessibility of job search engines and
pre-employment assessments offered by companies including Zip Recruiter,
Caliper, and Indeed. If you have encountered access barriers while searching
or applying for a job, please contact Valerie Yingling at vyingling at nfb.org
<mailto:vyingling at nfb.org> or 410-659-9314, extension 2440.

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

4273 Coventry Drive, South

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.