[ND-Talk] FW: My Heart is not Blind

mota1252 at gmail.com mota1252 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 19:55:55 UTC 2019

From: The Blind History Lady <theblindhistorylady at gmail.com>
Sent: Wednesday, July 31, 2019 11:24 AM
To: mota1252 at gmail.com
Subject: My Heart is not Blind

My Heart is not Blind

Hello Blind History Lady Fans;

I have finished reading “My Heart Is Not Blind” by Michael Nye that I downloaded from BARD. The author was a 2019 Jacob Bolotin Award Winner at the National Federation of the Blind national convention this summer in Las Vegas. He wrote a book with the stories of blind men and women and their views on blindness.

I had heard some about this book earlier this spring in reference to an exhibit at the Witte Museum in San Antonio Texas from January through March.  So many times, I have felt that such exhibits are insulting to us as blind people. I dismissed Nye. Then at the convention I heard of it again and paid more attention. When I returned home, I ordered the book in print and downloaded it from BARD.

To my surprise, I knew eight of the people who tell their story in this book. You may recognize some of them as well. Virgil Stinnett and Katie Keim from Hawaii. Michael Hingson of 911 fame. Their stories were told from their perspective, not an interpretation of Nye’s. Knowing some of the participants, I was pleased to feel that they were represented accurately. Each talked of their lives as blind people. Many in the book expressed how blindness is just a small part of who they are as people.

Below is the promotion of the book:

My Heart Is Not Blind: On Blindness and Perception is a collection of stunning portraits of blind and visually impaired people taken by photographer Michael Nye. Each image is accompanied by an intimate story told by the subject concerning his or her experiences and unique perspective.

The causes of vision loss range from genetic predispositions (retinitis pigmentosa) or disease (glaucoma) to external circumstances such as accidents (struck by a train) or violence (gunshot wound). The people in this diverse group differ not only in their particular conditions and losses but also in their cultural and socio-economic backgrounds. Taken as a whole, however, the accounts of adapting to changing modes of perception are bound by a common theme of resilience, revealed in shared reactions and unexpected insights.

The subjects depicted in My Heart Is Not Blind share their experiences and unique perspectives in a personal narratives that accompany their respective portraits. Most speak of the transition from sight to vision loss, and how that has changed-and not changed-their ability to perceive the surrounding world. Some question the classification of blindness as a disability. One participant proposes that blindness may, in some ways, even aid in perception, musing, "if you can always see the sun, you can never discover the stars."

My Heart Is Not Blind offers a window into the world of the blind and visually impaired, revealing surprising similarities and fascinating differences alongside compelling accounts of survival, adaptation, and heightened understanding. The collection invites us to reconsider what we think we know about blindness in order to gain a deeper understanding of vision and perception.

So says the promotional piece. The book is different than the many books on blindness written by the sighted. I would encourage you all to read the book. I think you will enjoy meeting each of the blind men and women depicted in this book.

You can read more of my Books at   <http://r20.rs6.net/tn.jsp?f=001lCvQbbObQ6VZdxwf6O5OGHTbVWgEL77O_9oJxCymuNrnO1IdfPqZroxZq6SgApcoxlqS1em-KuebjuPv-OqEMMOb1znovn8WCI9JNCD8GNiihtEEhg_uHtP4Hl2kFeNtjmU5-YNzuetTdIzaQsj_NRqx2xMD5fsLqvlC9UbdZrz-JtgBcQK6Dg==&c=p2u8y_KDE1MIK3sw2yBl31g_35rDVsfBp_td-eAePYYT2SpKUW4z5Q==&ch=jFddR0XueJyQQcXxziPmr40p-JGHgaHEXXHfqotpj7pyugRj2rG_Hg==> https://www.smashwords.com

www.theblindhistorylady.com

.

‌

The Blind History Lady | 14152 E Linvale Pl, 201, Aurora, CO 80014