[Nd-talk] Notes from President Riccobono

Milton Ota mota1252 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 19 14:40:17 UTC 2019

News:

In the Dark:

On April 4, the CW television network, which is affiliated with CBS, plans
to launch a television series called In the Dark that features a blind
character. This series is just the latest in a long line of shows and movies
about the blind, without the blind. The National Federation of the Blind was
not consulted at all by the CW during the writing or casting process, and
the producers claim they could not find a blind actress to play the leading
role. For this reason, and in light of resolutions passed by our conventions
on this topic, we issued a strong
<https://nfb.org/about-us/press-room/blind-americans-protest-refusal-enterta
inment-industry-cast-them> statement urging the cancellation of the series.
We now need to follow up with action. We cannot allow Hollywood to define us
any longer. The blind belong at the center of our own stories, playing blind
characters and taking our place on screen alongside our sighted colleagues.
All affiliates should be amplifying this message on your social media
platforms using the hash tag #LetUsPlayUs. Members who have been rejected
for acting roles on the basis of blindness or who have successfully
participated in acting or performance should email their stories to Chris
Danielsen at  <mailto:cdanielsen at nfb.org> cdanielsen at nfb.org. Finally, it
may be necessary for us to publicly protest if the CW and the show's
producers do not respond to efforts we have made to discuss this issue with
them. Please stay tuned for word of action that may be planned in the New
York City area in early April.

Introduction of ATAA:
Last week the Access Technology Affordability Act (ATAA) (S. 815) was
introduced by Senators John Boozman (R-AR) and Ben Cardin (D-MD). This
bipartisan legislation removes an employment barrier commonly experienced by
blind Americans who cannot afford the high cost of access technology by
creating a refundable tax credit in the amount of $2,000 to offset the cost
of these technologies.

Blind Users Innovating and Leading Design (BUILD):

Technologies are being developed every day that affect the way we all live,
work, and play. Given the continuing and rapid proliferation of advanced
technology, we need your help to ensure that this technology is accessible
to blind people. The NFB is growing a database of blind users to test and
evaluate the accessibility of websites, home-use medical devices, home
appliances, fitness equipment, and other products and services. Testers in
our BUILD program will periodically receive requests to evaluate various
websites, products, or services for usability and accessibility. In order
for us to obtain real-world experiences, we are seeking information from
novices to experts. Although most are volunteer opportunities, some of these
projects may offer compensation, premiums like gift cards, or product
discounts. If you are interested in building the next generation of
accessible products and services, please register to become a tester in our
BUILD program by visiting the following link and completing an application:
<https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/blind-
users-innovating-and-leading-design>
https://nfb.org/programs-services/center-excellence-nonvisual-access/blind-u
sers-innovating-and-leading-design

Reminders:

Convention Preregistration Opened March 1:
Online preregistration will be available from March 1 to May 31, 2019.
Additionally, registration will be available on site in Las Vegas. When
purchased online by May 31, the preregistration fee for convention is $25
($30 on site) and the cost of a banquet ticket is $70 ($75 on site). For
more information regarding preregistration and other details, please visit
https://nfb.org/get-involved/national-convention.

NOTE:

Applications for the 2019 NFB Scholarship closes on March 31.

Here is the date for the 2020 Washington Seminar:

February 10, 2020: Great Gathering-In; Washington Seminar begins

Milton Ota, President

National Federation of the Blind of North Dakota

Web: http://nfbnd.org/

4273 Coventry Drive, South

Unit E

Fargo, ND 58104-4498

Cell: (701) 731-0511

E-mail: mota1252 at gmail.com

THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE
CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE
EXPECTATIONS

OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES BETWEEN BLIND
PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT; BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT
HOLDS

YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION
SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND--IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR OURSELVES.

With Love, Hope and Determination, We Turn Dreams Into Reality.

Together We Change What It Means to Be Blind.