[Nebraska-senior-blind] Heritage for the Blind- those adds on the radio

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Mar 11 18:56:06 UTC 2013

Heritage for the Blind

Here are some things I have learned about this outfit:

In #1 It is info from the NFB Chapter Presidents list. And in #2 It is info
from the website for Heritage for the Blind.

#1 Email from Chapter Presidents list:

Seems to me Charlie Brown –NFB Legal Beagle in National Office[ checked into
Heritage for the Blind once and it’s a guy and perhaps a secretary in a
cubbyhole office in New York City. He does offer a service of sorts –
connecting people with other blindness resources and, I think, does produce
some Jewish Braille books. His services may not be the most cost-effective
in the universe but since he actually offers at least one service, Charlie
concluded as I recall that Heritage for the Blind was legal, if not
necessarily the most effective way to spend one’s blindness-related charity
dollar.

I do recall an exposé of sorts on Youtube but, as I say, Charlie concluded
that there’s no real way we could touch them legally nor would we wish to in
that sometimes what goes around comes around.

This doesn’t say anything about the tear-jerking nature of their ads,
though.

Mike Freeman [Affiliate President of Washington State]

#2 From Heritage for the Blind’s own website:

About Us

Thank you for your interest in Heritage for the Blind. We are a non-profit
organization whose goal is to help enable the blind and visually impaired to
become independent and to participate fully in society. We are a 501(c)(3)
organization, listed in the Cumulative List of Tax-Exempt Organizations
Serving the Blind & Visually Impaired in the United States.

By supporting our organization with your vehicle donation, you will enable
us to continue to work on our numerous projects. For example, your generous
support will allow us to continue with our:

•              Medical Alert Service for the visually impaired

•              Free Benefit Search program

•              Free publication and distribution of Braille and large-print
materials

•              Self Help For Vision Loss Resource Website.

Learn a little more about what we do and how your donation can help.

Free publication and distribution of Braille and large-print materials:

We produce a selection of religious publications in large print as well as
Braille for children and adults. They are available Free of Charge. In
addition, in cooperation with the Federal Citizen Information Center and
U.S. General Services Administration (GSA), we produce an array of large
print consumer related publications to assist visually impaired individuals
get answers to questions about consumer problems and government services.

Medical Alert Service for the Visually Impaired:

Heritage for the Blind has developed the next generation of Personal
Emergency Response System geared to assist the blind and visually impaired.
This is the first medical alert service designed not only to help in the
event of an emergency, but to also provide round the clock medical resources
to help prevent emergencies in the first place. Users can get access to
doctors, nursing staff, medical records, and even assisted dialing and
e-mailing. This gives the visually impaired unparalleled access to the
people and medical services they need.

Free Benefit Search Program:

Our counselors help people in need search over 1,650 benefit programs
through all 50 states that help with expenses such as prescription drugs,
rent, heating and medical bills, meals, veteran’s benefits, Alzheimer’s and
vision care.

Free publication and distribution of Braille and large-print materials:

We produce a selection of religious publications in large print and Braille,
which are available free of charge. In addition, in cooperation with the
Federal Citizen Information Center and U.S. General Services Administration
(GSA), we produce an array of large print consumer related publications to
help visually impaired individuals find information about consumer problems
and government services.

Self Help For Vision Loss Resource Website:

The Heritage for The Blind, a “Self-Help for Vision Loss” website, aims to
provide practical information to enhance the independence and quality of
life of people suffering from vision loss, along with their friends,
families, and caregivers. At The Heritage for The Blind, we understand that
losing your vision can be a difficult, and life-changing experience that
affects you as well as everyone around you – your spouse, family, children,
friends, neighbors, and co-workers. That’s why we’re here to help. Whether
you’re completely blind, have low vision, or simply have a little trouble
seeing from time to time, it’s important to know that you’re not alone. At
least 6.5 million American adults have some kind of vision problem. And so
many don’t know where to turn for help or information. On The Heritage for
The Blind website, you’ll find practical self-help solutions that can help
individuals with vision loss to:

•              Learn about eye disorders that cause vision problems

•              Find vision rehabilitation services

•              Stay on top of the latest medical research

•              Keep working after vision loss

•              Adapt everyday tasks

•              Continue with hobbies, sports, and recreation

Robert Leslie Newman

Personal Website-

Adjustment To Blindness And Visual impairment

http//www.thoughtprovoker.info

NFB Writers’ Division, president

http://www.nfb-writers-division.net

Chair of the NFB Communications Committee