[Nebraska-senior-blind] The Braille Monitor - November 2014

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Nov 24 14:34:41 UTC 2014

Hi you all!

RE: Are you getting the Braille Monitor? I need to know this. Pleas!!!
(Write me back and tell me)

Below this section is a copy of this month's Braille Monitor. For those of
you who are newish to our division, and to the NFB, this is our monthly news
magazine. It is one of the best ways to learn of news about blind people, or
products that are blindness related, and/or what issues the NFB is involved
in. If you are not signed up for it, please do so!!! If you need help
getting  signed up, write or call me and I'll help you. Note: signing up
means that you start getting it, automatically each month; choices are
either by email, hard-copy large print or by audio that comes on a USB thumb
drive. There are other NFB publications that you can also sign up for. To
learn more, or to sign up, go to the following link:

https://nfb.org/publications

**Here is this month's Braille Monitor:

                               BRAILLE MONITOR

Vol. 57, No. 10  November 2014

                             Gary Wunder, Editor

      Distributed by email, in inkprint, in Braille, and on USB flash drive

(see reverse side) by the

      NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

      Mark Riccobono, President

      telephone: (410) 659-9314

      email address: nfb at nfb.org <mailto:nfb at nfb.org>

      website address: http://www.nfb.org

      NFBnet.org: http://www.nfbnet.org

      NFB-NEWSLINE. information: (866) 504-7300

       Like us on Facebook: Facebook.com/nationalfederationoftheblind

                      Follow us on Twitter: @NFB_Voice

            Watch and share our videos: YouTube.com/NationsBlind

Letters to the President, address changes, subscription requests, and

orders for NFB literature should be sent to the national office. Articles

for the Monitor and letters to the editor may also be sent to the national

office or may be emailed to gwunder at nfb.org <mailto:gwunder at nfb.org> .

Monitor subscriptions cost the Federation  about  forty  dollars  per  year.

Members  are  invited,  and  nonmembers  are   requested,   to   cover   the

subscription cost. Donations should be made payable to  National  Federation

of the Blind and sent to:

      National Federation of the Blind

      200 East Wells Street at Jernigan Place

      Baltimore, Maryland 21230-4998

    THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND KNOWS THAT BLINDNESS IS NOT THE

   CHARACTERISTIC THAT DEFINES YOU OR YOUR FUTURE. EVERY DAY WE RAISE THE

   EXPECTATIONS OF BLIND PEOPLE, BECAUSE LOW EXPECTATIONS CREATE OBSTACLES

    BETWEEN BLIND PEOPLE AND OUR DREAMS. YOU CAN LIVE THE LIFE YOU WANT;

BLINDNESS IS NOT WHAT HOLDS YOU BACK. THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND

IS NOT AN ORGANIZATION SPEAKING FOR THE BLIND-IT IS THE BLIND SPEAKING FOR

                                 OURSELVES.

ISSN 0006-8829

) 2014 by the National Federation of the Blind

      Each issue is recorded on a thumb drive (also called a memory stick

or USB flash drive). You can read this audio edition using a computer or a

National Library Service digital player. The NLS machine has two slots-the

familiar book-cartridge slot just above the retractable carrying handle and

a second slot located on the right side near the headphone jack. This

smaller slot is used to play thumb drives. Remove the protective rubber pad

covering this slot and insert the thumb drive. It will insert only in one

position. If you encounter resistance, flip the drive over and try again.

(Note: If the cartridge slot is not empty when you insert the thumb drive,

the digital player will ignore the thumb drive.) Once the thumb drive is

inserted, the player buttons will function as usual for reading digital

materials. If you remove the thumb drive to use the player for cartridges,

when you insert it again, reading should resume at the point you stopped.

      You can transfer the recording of each issue from the thumb drive to

your computer or preserve it on the thumb drive. However, because thumb

drives can be used hundreds of times, we would appreciate their return in

order to stretch our funding. Please use the return label enclosed with the

drive when you return the device.

Vol. 57, No. 10                                          November 2014

      Contents

Illustration: Pre-K at Play

Heritage for the Blind Ads for Car Donations Raise BBB Concerns

The Blind Gun Designer: The Genius of Mikhail Margolin

by Greg Trapp

Fred Gissoni Dies

by Gary Wunder

Fred Gissoni: A Man of Change

by Larry Skutchan

What is the Cost of a Free Product?

by Tim Connell

Improving Disability Employment: A Pathway to Success for Employers and

Workers

by Patricia Shiu

Reflections of a White Cane Guy

by David Cohen

Bringing Our Animals to the Zoo

by Marion Gwizdala

NFB's iOS Resolution: Some Perspective and Context

by Jonathan Mosen

Advice to the Rookies from a Rookie

by Jamie Allison

Normal

by Daniel B. Frye

Coming to See the Unfairness of Paying Less than the Minimum Wage

by Cindy Bennett

Blindness Cured? And Thank You for It

by Eric Woods

Recipes

Monitor Miniatures

                                Pre-K at Play

Each year schools in Baltimore take one day from their busy school year and

send their youngest children out on the town to observe organizations doing

good work in the community.  Oriana Riccobono's teacher asked if the

National Federation of the Blind would be willing to host her class.  Of

course the answer was yes and the children spent more than two hours

learning about how blind people do things that the children are accustomed

to doing with vision.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: There are hula hoops on the ground in patterns that

represent the shapes of Braille cells, and the Pre-K children are standing

in the hoops to match the print letters shown on the papers inside them.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Children have their hands and arms stuck through two holes

cut in the middle of a presentation board, attempting to fill a cup with

beans nonvisually.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: A group of children "fishing" for paper fish in a kiddie

pool.]

       Heritage for the Blind Ads for Car Donations Raise BBB Concerns

  BBB advises donors to consider alternatives to Heritage for the Blind for

                                car donations

>From the Editor: For several years now members of the National Federation

of the Blind have been hearing advertisements about Heritage for the Blind.

Being familiar with most service providers and charities in work with the

blind, many of us have called this organization, only to find those

answering our calls to be quite vague about program offerings. Generally we

are asked to leave a number and promised a callback. If we get one, we find

that we are offered no specific services but instead are referred to other

organizations, foremost among them the National Federation of the Blind.

Our research suggests that Heritage for the Blind provides little if

anything in the way of direct services, and it appears others share our

concern about a charity that has so much money that it can afford to

purchase commercial rates on the major radio networks, offer free vacations

to its donors, and still purport to have money left over to provide

services to blind people. Here is what the Better Business Bureau had to

say about them on September 11, 2014, in a press release that ran on their

website and the St. Louis Post-Dispatch <STLtoday.com>:

      Better Business Bureau (BBB) is advising motorists who are planning

to donate vehicles to charity to consider alternatives to Heritage for the

Blind, a national charity that has been soliciting car donations in the St.

Louis area.

      The charity recently sent mailers to area residents asking for

vehicle donations. The mailers urge recipients to "provide help for the

visually impaired" by calling a toll-free number and arranging to donate

their vehicles to the organization. The ads show a Heritage for the Blind

truck towing a car and suggest that potential donors ask about a free three-

day vacation voucher. BBB believes the ads have the capacity to mislead

consumers. In addition, BBB also warns that the charity omits important

information on its website and fails to adequately explain how it is

spending its money.

      Charity officials have declined to respond to BBB requests for

information. "BBB has tried to get Heritage for the Blind to open up about

where its money is going without success," said Michelle Corey, BBB

president and CEO. "This organization has said, basically, that it is too

much trouble to respond. When a tax-exempt charity that solicits the public

takes that position, it is a cause for concern."

      The nineteen-year-old, Brooklyn, New York-based charity raised $14

million in the five years prior to January 2013, according to Form 990

reports to the Internal Revenue Service. From January 1 to December 31,

2012, the most recent information available, the charity reported nearly

$4.2 million in contributions. Almost all of the money came from its

vehicle donation program. The IRS records show brothers Shrage and Steven

Toiv, the charity's top-paid employees, received salaries of $135,000 each

that year.

      Heritage for the Blind has not responded to requests for information

from BBB's Wise Giving Alliance. As a result BBB has been unable to

determine whether the charity meets BBB's Standards for Charity

Accountability. Charity participation in a review is voluntary, but BBB

encourages participation to demonstrate transparency and strengthen public

trust. The charity also declined to discuss its operations in an email to

St. Louis BBB, saying, in part: "Heritage for the Blind is in full

compliance with all statutes and regulations of every state in the nation,

as well as those of the Internal Revenue Service, and is current with all

required filings. However, as much as we may like to, Heritage for the

Blind simply does not have the resources to respond to every detailed

request we may receive from non-governmental groups and organizations."

      In its 990 IRS report and information on its website, Heritage for

the Blind says it produces and distributes large-print and Braille

religious and non-religious publications, operates a phone referral and

support program, offers educational information to consumers, and provides

a medical alert service called "Freedom Carephone." However, it has

declined to release any details on how much money is going to each program

and who it is serving. Specific BBB concerns include:

            . Potentially misleading advertising. The charity's mailers and

      other promotional literature asking for car donations refer to a "free

      three-day vacation voucher," "free vacation vouchers," and a "free

      vacation" for those donating vehicles. However, the company that is

      partnering with Heritage for the Blind to provide the vouchers says,

      "there are fees associated with this offer, so obviously this is not a

      'free' trip. Our offers generally are 70 to 90 percent off the going

      retail rate."

            . Omission of important information on the charity's website.

      Based on reports to the IRS, one of the charity's programs involves

      the production of large-print publications. It appears that most of

      those publications are religious materials distributed to the Jewish

      nonprofit group, Jewish Heritage for the Blind. That information is

      not included on the charity's website.

            . Donations to a family member's nonprofit organization. In its

      most recent 990 report, Heritage for the Blind reports that it donated

      $110,000 in large-type religious publications to Jewish Heritage for

      the Blind. The disclosure notes a family relationship between the two

      groups, but does not detail the relationship. Rabbi David Toiv is

      listed as director of Jewish Heritage for the Blind. Neither Jewish

      Heritage for the Blind nor Heritage for the Blind has responded to BBB

      requests for information.

            . Heritage for the Blind's business relationship with the

      medical alert company Freedom Phone, a business owned by Shrage Toiv.

      While the exact nature of the relationship is unclear, Heritage for

      the Blind notes that it provides "Freedom Carephone services for those

      in need." Freedom Phone is owned by Shrage Toiv, and it is unclear

      whether Freedom Phone donates the medical devices or sells them to the

      charity.

      Heritage for the Blind's IRS 990 report for 2012 says that the

charity spent nearly $3.9 million that year, with $1.8 million allocated to

fundraising, and $1.7 million allocated to program services. But BBB says

Heritage for the Blind has repeatedly declined to detail its program

service expenditures. Carole Bellman, St. Louis BBB's director of charity

review, said the charity's refusal to break down where its money is going

means that donors are left to wonder how the money is being spent. "For

people to be able to trust a charity, they have to know how their money is

being used," she said. "Any charity that keeps that information secret is

doing a disservice to itself and donors."

      A BBB employee phoned the charity requesting assistance for a sight-

impaired relative. A charity representative told her that it could help her

access a variety of services, including books for the sight-impaired, help

with technology, monetary grants, and a folding white cane. The charity

then sent a packet of information that included two "talking alarm" key

chains (wholesale cost $2 to $6), a plastic "vision simulator card"

(distributed by the Ohio Optometric Association), a Braille alphabet card

(produced by American Foundation for the Blind), and a listing of St. Louis

area organizations that assist the blind and visually impaired.

      In June 2010 New York Attorney General Andrew Cuomo announced that

Heritage for the Blind was among sixteen charities, fundraisers, and

individuals subpoenaed as part of what he called a wide-ranging

investigation of the charitable car donation industry. An official with the

attorney general's office said last week that he is "not aware of anything

current in regards to Heritage for the Blind."

      National Federation of the Blind is a seventy-three-year-old national

nonprofit that works as an advocate for the blind. Its past president, Marc

Maurer, said he had worked with several staff members of his organization

trying to research Heritage for the Blind. "We have been trying to track

down what they do, with no success," he said. He said researchers who

called the organization for help often were referred to the National

Federation of the Blind.

      In October 2012 the National Federation of the Blind of Minnesota

asked that Heritage for the Blind stop fundraising in that state until it

registers with the Minnesota attorney general's office and "demonstrates .

. . that it actually provides useful services to blind Minnesotans." It

also called on media outlets to cease carrying the charity's advertisements

until it met those conditions.

      BBB has these tips to consumers  considering  donating  a  vehicle  to

charity:

      . Research the charity, making sure it is tax-exempt and  asking  what

programs will be supported by your donation. The charity should be  able  to

provide detailed information  about  the  charity's  operations.  Tax-exempt

charities have an ethical obligation to be transparent with the public.

      . Find out how the charity benefits financially from the resale of the

car.

      . For tax records take a photo of the car and keep copies of current

classified ads or guide value estimates for similar vehicles. (For more

deductibility information, get a copy of IRS Publication 561, "Determining

the Value of Donated Property.")

      . Understand deductibility details. Most cars donated to charity are

sold at auction, and the donor's tax deduction is limited to the gross

proceeds from the sale. The charity must provide that amount to the donor

in writing. Donors can claim the car's full fair market value only in

certain conditions, such as when a charity uses a car in its program or

gives it to needy individuals.

      . Check IRS guidelines in A Donor's Guide to Car Donations

(Publication 4303), at <www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf
<http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p4303.pdf> >. If you are

claiming a car donation of over $500, you will need to complete and attach

IRS Form 8283 to your tax return. If the car is worth more than $5,000, you

will need a written professional appraisal.

      . Transfer the car's title to the charity's name and keep a copy of

this record. The title change will help you avoid potential problems if the

car is somehow parked illegally by the organization or is involved in an

accident or other mishap before the charity sells it.

      . Check out a charity by going to <www.bbb.org <http://www.bbb.org> >
or call (314) 645-

3300.

      The BBB is a nonprofit, business-supported organization that sets and

upholds high standards for fair and honest business behavior. All BBB

services to consumers are free of charge. BBB provides objective advice,

free BBB business reviews on more than four million businesses, 11,000

charity reviews, dispute resolution services, alerts and educational

information on topics affecting marketplace trust. Please visit

<www.bbb.org <http://www.bbb.org> > for more information.

                                 ----------

[PHOTO/CAPTION: Greg Trapp fires a C96 Mauser Broomhandle.]

           The Blind Gun Designer: The Genius of Mikhail Margolin

                                by Greg Trapp

>From the Editor: Greg Trapp is the executive director of the New Mexico

Commission for the Blind, a position he has held since 1999. Prior to

becoming commission director, he was a senior staff attorney with

Disability Rights New Mexico. He has taught disability law as an adjunct

professor, and he is a past president of the National Council of State

Agencies for the Blind. He is also a longtime member of the National

Federation of the Blind. Here is what he has to say about a blind person

who succeeded in a field many would consider unlikely-he found success as a

gun designer.

      The question of blind people and guns continues to be hotly debated.

On August 4, 2014, a video commentary was posted on NRA News in which the

commentator said, "Every law-abiding, blind individual should be able to

have whatever guns they want." The commentator was Dom Raso, a defense

instructor and former Navy Seal. The video was ridiculed by Shannon Watts,

the founder of Moms Demand Action for Gun Sense. Apparently unfamiliar with

the NFB's Blind Driver Challenge, not to mention bioptic driving, she

sarcastically asked, "Should we let blind people drive, too?"

      The attitude of the general public toward the blind was further

demonstrated when the Huffington Post responded to the commentary by

conducting a survey asking if it "should be legal for the blind to own

guns." Only 23 percent of respondents said it should be legal for the blind

to own a gun, while 51 percent said it should be illegal, while the rest

were not sure. The results of the survey may have been different if the

people surveyed had been told about and shown the alternative techniques

used by blind shooters or about blind people who successfully engage in

activities related to firearms. They could have been told about Carey

McWilliams, a blind hunter and author of Guide Dogs and Guns. They could

also have been told about Jim Miekka, a blind stock trader and inventor,

who can accurately fire a rifle with a photodiode scope he invented. Had

they Googled "world's best target shooter," the first result they would

have found was for Miekka, and they would have learned that he can hit a

4mm target at 100 yards. They could also have been told about Mikhail

Margolin, the remarkable blind Russian gun designer who successfully worked

during a career that started in the reign of Joseph Stalin and continued

into the rule of Leonid Brezhnev. This article examines the life and

contributions of this brilliant Soviet gun designer.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: The Margolin MCM target pistol]

[PHOTO/DESCRIPTION: The semi-automatic handgun has a long and thin barrel,

with a high front sight at the end of the barrel. The equally high rear

sight is mounted on a stationary bridge through which the slide passes as

it ejects the fired cartridge case. Though strange in appearance, the high

sights were largely responsible for the accuracy of the pistol.]

      Mikhail Vladimirovich Margolin designed several successful firearms,

but he is today best remembered for the revolutionary MCM .22 caliber

target pistol. The pistol was first made in 1948, and variations of it are

still being made today. It was called the Margolina tselevoy, or the target

pistol by Margolin. The pistol was designed for use in the highly

competitive field of twenty-five meter target shooting. A modified version

of the pistol was also used as a prop in one of the most memorable scenes

in the original Star Wars movie. In Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, the

rebel star ship carrying Princess Leia had just been captured and boarded

by Darth Vader. The beautiful Princess Leia is shown hiding the plans of

the Death Star in R2-D2. Afterwards she is in action, and in her hand is a

blaster that she uses to down one of the storm troopers. The blaster was

actually a modified version of the unusually-shaped Margolin MCM target

pistol. The Margolin thus joined the famous C96 Mauser Broomhandle, which

was the basis of Han Solo's blaster, as a prop in one of the most famous

movies of all time.

      Margolin was born in the early 1900s, a time of rapid progress in

science and technology. Many revolutionary new firearms were being

designed, primarily in the United States and Germany. These revolutionary

designs were made possible by advances in metallurgy and the perfection of

smokeless powder. Smokeless powder burned cleaner and was more powerful

than black powder, making it possible to design reliable semi-automatic and

fully automatic firearms. The preeminent gun designer of the age was the

American John M. Browning, who designed firearms that were so advanced that

some of his designs are still used by the United States military. Unlike

the United States, Imperial Russia had long struggled to expand the

capacity of its domestic small arms industry, and its arms designs had

lagged behind those of its foes. After the start of the First World War,

Russia found itself short of its 1891 Mosin-Nagant rifles, forcing Tsar

Nicholas II to order 2.3 million rifles from the United States. The

shortage was so critical that many Russian soldiers were sent to the front

with orders to get their rifles from fallen soldiers. Desperate for arms,

Russia pulled its obsolete single-shot 1870 Berdan rifles from storage and

issued them to soldiers headed to the front. In addition to the ancient

Berdan rifle, Russian soldiers were issued a bewildering variety of modern

and obsolete firearms. These firearms continued to be used in the Russian

Civil War, which took place from 1917 to 1922. The C96 Mauser Broomhandle

was one of the firearms used during the Russian Civil War. Called the

Broomhandle because of its unusual grip, it was the favorite gun of the

Bolshevik Commissars. Margolin was a soldier during the Civil War, and it

was as a result of this military service that he gained a familiarity with

this vast variety of weapons. It was also during the Russian Civil War that

Margolin sustained a head wound and lost his vision.

      Margolin's response to becoming blind was described by Victor

Maryanovsky in a 1958 issue of GUNS Magazine: "First came the study of

Braille. Friends helped him to study mathematics, mechanics, and strength

of materials, all essential subjects for the arms designer. His wife read

aloud to him from textbooks and books on the history of firearms. He

collected guns and enlarged his knowledge of various weapons systems. Most

important was his splendid memory: within a few years he was a match for

any engineer. As for firearms, there was no disputing his superior

knowledge. He got acquainted with the latest models of weapons and took

them apart dozens of times in order to let his sense of touch give rise in

his mind to a mental picture."

      Despite his great knowledge and enthusiasm, Margolin did not meet

with initial success as a gun designer. He had difficulty communicating his

designs, which he tried to do by hand motions. Ironically, it was this

failure that led to his success. According to Maryanovsky, "Unable to draw

the gun parts on paper, he had to explain his ideas by gestures. A solution

to Margolin's deep personal problem of communicating by his hands was found

unexpectedly, at a sanatorium where the striving inventor had gone,

depressed, to rest. He was bored by idleness. 'Suppose you try clay

modeling, that may be interesting,' suggested his roommate." That simple

suggestion transformed Margolin from a depressed patient into a successful

gun designer.

      Margolin went on to use more durable and harder forms of clay as well

as aluminum and wood to create models of the guns that he had envisioned in

his head. This led to his first successful designs in the 1930s, a semi-

automatic sporting rifle and a fully automatic .22 machine gun for use in

military training. Maryanovsky describes it as follows: "As a result a day

came to Margolin of great honor, one which the most highly skilled gunsmith

could be proud of. The blind man was invited to work at designing offices

in the big government small arms factory at Tula."

      At Tula Margolin studied with some of Russia's greatest gun

designers. One of those was Fedor Tokarev, the designer of the Tokarev TT-

33 pistol. The TT-33 was intended to replace the aging 1895 Nagant

revolver. Margolin designed a modified version of Tokarev's TT-33 pistol

that enabled it to fire lower power cartridges and be used as a training

pistol. Margolin also worked on a .22 sport pistol that was based on the TT-

33 frame. The pistol was approved for production on June 21, 1941. However,

the pistol was never produced. On June 22, 1941, Germany invaded Russia,

bringing the Soviet Union into the Second World War.

      During the war Margolin worked as an ordinance engineer and served as

an air raid warden. Describing a German bombing raid on Moscow, Maryanovsky

wrote that, while on duty on the roof of one of Moscow's big buildings,

Margolin picked up a fallen German incendiary bomb and threw it from the

roof to the street, where it burned harmlessly. Writing of another incident

during the war, Maryanovsky wrote Margolin went "in the ruins of a lodging

house demolished by bombs" and "lead 120 old people, women, and children to

safety."

      When the war was over, Margolin abandoned the pistol design he had

worked on before the war and instead designed what would become the

Margolin MCM. The gun was designed between 1946 and 1948, and the first

pistols were built in 1948.

      The new Margolin MCM gained international attention in 1954, when it

was used at the 36th World Championship shooting competition in Caracas,

Venezuela. Describing the Russian team as they were about to compete,

Maryanovsky wrote, "They could not boast of great achievements in pistol

competition; they had nothing to match the German Walther or the American

Colt for rapid-fire shooting. Then Nikolai Kalinichenko took his place at

the firing line. The first shot scored, and the next . . . In two days of

shooting, sixty shots, Kalinichenko scored 584 points, beating the world

record set by Benner, the American. The team record was carried off by

Soviet marksmen, who scored 2,317 using the new pistol of Mikhail

Margolin."

      The world record success of Margolin's pistol was due to the use of

several revolutionary design features. The gun was designed so that balance

weights could be attached to steady the pistol during firing. The pistol

could also be equipped with a muzzle brake to reduce the tendency of the

gun barrel to rise during shooting, a movement called muzzle climb. The

muzzle brake is at the end of the barrel, and it directs some of the

expanding gas upward and to the rear, which helps counteract the muzzle

climb. Margolin also designed a version of his MCM with an aluminum slide.

The slide is the part of a semi-automatic pistol that moves backward and

forward with each shot, ejecting the empty bullet case as it goes backward,

and chambering the new bullet as it travels forward. The lighter slide

helped the shooter hold the gun steady during firing.

      Margolin also designed the sights to improve accuracy. He placed the

rear sight on the frame, creating a bridge through which the slide passed.

Margolin's design was very different from traditional pistols in which the

sights were mounted on the slide. Mounting the sights on the slide reduces

accuracy, since the slide is a moving part that could be slightly out of

alignment with the barrel. By placing the rear sight on a stationary bridge

above the slide, Margolin greatly improved the accuracy of his pistol.

[PHOTO/CAPTION: The 1895 Nagant revolver]

[PHOTO/DESCRIPTION: This unusual handgun was used extensively by the

Russian military during World Wars I and II. The revolver's most

distinctive feature is the seven-shot cylinder. The flutes between each

chamber do not extend to the end of the cylinder, but are instead hollowed

out depressions in the middle of the cylinder. The cylinder also moves

forward when the gun is cocked, sealing the gap between the cylinder and

the barrel. This keeps high-pressure gases from escaping, and increases the

velocity of the fired bullet. The unique design of the cylinder contributes

to the strange overall appearance of the revolver.]

      The innovative design features of the Margolin created a very

unusually-shaped pistol, including the abnormally high sights. This unusual

shape is likely responsible for some of the comments that attribute the

appearance to the designer being blind. However, Margolin's design should

be judged in the light of its Russian contemporaries, and most Russian guns

of the time tended to be unattractive and even strange looking by American

standards. For instance, the Margolin would look right at home if it was

placed next to the 1895 Nagant revolver or the PPS-43 submachine gun or the

1891 Mosin-Nagant rifle. One of the comments that attributes a design

feature to Margolin's blindness can be found on the Wikipedia page that

describes the Margolin MCM, which states:

      "The designer himself was blind. The most critisized [sic]

characteristic-the elevation of the plane of sight-so also [sic] be

explained: the designer could not aim his pistol."

      Besides being a poor speller and not including a citation, the person

who made this entry is not recognizing that the criticized "plane of sight"

is actually a deliberate design feature that contributed to the success of

the pistol. In addition to the bridge that made the rear sight stationary,

the unusually high sights enabled the shooter to hold the pistol a little

lower and bring the barrel more in line with the shoulder. This gave the

shooter a slightly improved ability to control the pistol in rapid fire

competition. The high line of sight is a design feature that the Margolin

had in common with the AK-47, the famous assault rifle designed by Mikhail

Kalashnikov. The AK-47 was designed between 1946 and 1948, the same time as

the Margolin MCM. Just like the Margolin, the high sights of the AK-47

lowered the barrel and put it more in line with the shoulder, helping to

reduce muzzle climb.

      Margolin's willingness to alter the barrel height to compensate for

the problems of muzzle climb was further demonstrated in the design of his

next pistol, the even more revolutionary "upside-down" pistol. According to

Maryanovsky, "The pistol which emerged was radically different from any

firearm ever before designed in the world. Called the MTsZ-1, the five-shot

competition 3.1 is built with the slide and barrel below the hand, the

magazine feeding inverted from above. This caused the 'kick' of the gun to

strike downward, aiding rapid fire control." The pistol was used by Soviet

shooters at the 1956 Olympics in Melbourne, Australia. After the Olympics,

rules were issued that banned the MTsZ-1 pistol. There were only about 125

upside-down pistols made, and it remains one of the most fascinating and

unusual guns ever designed.

      Mikhail Margolin was a brilliant gun designer who just happened to be

blind. It is ironic that Margolin was able to achieve such great success as

a blind gun designer in the Soviet Union, and yet today many voices are

being raised in the United States that question the ability and right of

blind persons to handle and even own guns. The remarkable career of Mikhail

Margolin illustrates the point that blind people can successfully work in a

wide range of professions that many might not think possible, including as

scientists, medical doctors, nurses, chiropractors, mechanics, and yes,

even as gun designers.