[Nebraska-senior-blind] Ski for Light

Karen Lemmon klemmon at bbcwb.net
Tue May 5 16:05:22 UTC 2015

Hello Everyone,

   We are gearing up for the 2016 Black Hills Regional Ski for Light winter
event. As you probably have heard we will have the 'BHSFL Bus Across
Nebraska' to provide transportation from Omaha to Deadwood, South Dakota and
back with inner city transportation by bus included. The winter event this
year falls from January 24 to January 29, 2016. I could write pages and
pages about the benefits of attending this program but you really have to
experience it to appreciate what this program offers to blind and mobility
challenged individuals!

   It is a bit early to apply for the event itself however it is important
that if you are interested you immediately send in your deposit of $50 and
the bus application that I am including in this email. We already have 14
seats reserved on our Arrow Bus and since the bus is a wheelchair lift
equipped bus which means regular seating in the bus is limited to around 35
you need to reserve your seat as soon as possible. Ward and Kathy Kinney of
Fontenelle Tours have graciously volunteered their services to our Bus
Across Nebraska project and will serve as our Bus coordinators and hosts on
the bus. Ward went with us last year and was so impressed with the program
that he convinced Kathy to go this year. Both Ward and Kathy will serve as
Ski for Light volunteers through-out the 5 day event. Our bus transportation
project does not include the application or fees for the event but only the
shared cost of the bus. We ask for a $50 deposit check to hold your seat.
This check will not be cashed until the final reimbursement OR billing for
the bus cost is sent to you. (Probably mid-December) The reason for this is
because we are writing grants and raising funds to get the cost of the ride
for each individual as low as we possibly can. Arrow Bus Line has reserved a
bus at an extremely reasonable cost. Again we don't know the exact cost to
each person for the bus but I can tell you last year we only had 12
participants and each paid $80 for the round-trip!

   At this time the www.bhsfl.org website is down as they are upgrading for
the coming year so I will tell you just a bit about the program. Keep the
website so you can review it in a few weeks. First of all the program is
designed for blind and mobility challenged individuals. There is no age
limit as the oldest participant that I know of is 96 and the youngest that I
have met in the years I have been involved is 4. There is no requirement of
levels of experience in the activities offered. As an example, I had never
skied before I went to the first event I attended 7 years ago and even
though I could never be mistaken for Lindsey Vonn I had a blast! Now that my
knees have failed me I have taken to snow shoeing and sledding. Point being
that no matter your level of experience or physical challenges the Ski for
Light program will accommodate you. For the 5 days of your participation you
will be recognized for your accomplishments not your 'disabilities'!

   You will have several options for the day activities and these include:
downhill skiing, downhill sledding, cross-country skiing, snowshoeing, and
snow mobiling. All equipment and lift tickets are provided. The evening
activities include a buffet meal provided by the BHSFL volunteers at the
famous Saloon 10 in Deadwood, a 'one-armed bandit' tournament with cash
prizes, Karaoke, a bon-fire with food and drink provided live entertainment
and dance each night and a final awards banquet.

  The $200 cost for participants for the 5 days also includes lodging and
meals. The program is run entirely by volunteers and they work hard each
year to get the cost down through donations and grant writing. This cost is
not included in our 'BHSFL Bus Across Nebraska" but by sending in your
deposit and bus application you will automatically be sent the application
for the Ski for Light event and you may request at that time a scholarship
application which will reduce your cost for the program to $100. If you know
of anyone who would like to volunteer their cost for the week is $268 and
includes everything that I listed. The BHSFL program is especially
interested in people who are experienced skiers to ski with participants who
are blind or to guide a ski-sled for the mobility challenged. So pass the
word! Volunteers have the same option to travel on the bus as program
participants. Now having said all this I need to also say that this
information is subject to change. I am quoting costs from the past seven
years which I have not known to be different but may change due to the
rising costs having to be absorbed by the BHSFL program.

REMEMBER: our little group of bus organizers has nothing to do with the
application or fees of the actual 5 day event, we only collect money for the
optional bus transportation for Midwesterners across the State of Nebraska.
. I am also attaching contact information and if you have further questions
you may call the appropriate contact.

   So the bottom line here is to get you through step one: send in your bus
application and the $50 deposit to Fontenelle Tours. Ward and Kathy will
hold that check until December. From that point your name and address will
be sent to Traci at the BHSFL office in Rapid City and she will send out
your application, further information and application for financial
assistance. You will be sent your confirmation from BHSFL following your
application and then sit back and wait for Sunday, January 24, 2016 and the
bus will pick you up at the closest pick up point in route to Deadwood. I
should warn you though that this program is addictive to both participants
and volunteers!

Karen Lemmon

Co-coordinator for BHSFL Bus Across Nebraska

      IMPORTANT CONTACT INFORMATION

FOR TRAVEL EXPENSE:

Send the bus application and $50 deposit to:

Fontenelle Tours

2008 W. Broadway #329

Council Bluffs, Iowa  51501

Phone: (712) 366-9596:

PROGRAM PARTICIPATION

Website: bhsfl.org

Mailing address: BHSFL

PO Box 3707

Rapid City, South Dakota 57709-3707

Phone number is 1-605-341-3626

   Information about the event as well as an application and explanation of
cost to the event.

Organizations, businesses or Individuals who would like to donate to the
BHSFL Bus Across Nebraska:

Make checks payable to BHSFL Bus Across  Nebraska

Mail donations to:

BHSFL Bus Across Nebraska

C/O Karen Lemmon

104 Lemmon Road

Whitney, NE 69367

We are a 501 C3 tax exempt organization

QUESTIONS ABOUT BUS TRANSPORTATION or our experiences in the program:

Feel free to call Warren or me. Leave a message and phone number if we miss
your call and we will call you back!

Karen Lemmon

Phone 308-667-2054

Email:  <mailto:klemmon at bbcwb.net> klemmon at bbcwb.net

        or

Warren Bennett

402-557-8826

Please help us get this information to the blind, visually impaired,
physically challenged or volunteering individuals who are interested in this
awesome event.

Remember that the expense of the bus travel

and participation in the Ski for Light event are separate

and participants are responsible to apply to both.

APPLICATION FOR BUS TRANSPORTATION

TO BLACK HILLS SKI FOR LIGHT

TO RIDE THE BUS FILL OUT THE FOLLOWING SHORT FORM AND MAIL IT ALONG WITH
YOUR $50 deposit to hold your bus seat:

Fontenelle Tours

2008 W. Broadway #329

Council Bluffs, Iowa  51501

Phone: (712) 366-9596)

We prefer checks or money orders

Appropriately Check below so that we provide adequate service to you:

____ I travel with a service dog                      ____I use a wheel
chair

other accommodations you may need on the