[Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior Division Meeting Reminder - August 8th, TOMORROW

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Mon Aug 8 01:24:28 UTC 2016

Hi you all

RE: August Meeting Notice - (Better had this in your calendar!)

Contents of this message:

*1 When and how to get on the call

*2 Agenda

*3 Our philosophical discussion

*4 The NFB Pledge

*5 Minutes from the July meeting; pasted below

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: Monday August 8th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come-to-order, Do our introductions

-Second- say our NFB pledge

-Third-We will have our guest speaker present: Ramona Walhof, the Lions
Club, purpose and having a membership in both our organizations

-Fourth- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be discussed and approved
and/or accepted

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Progress on getting Division documents recorded and sent out to members who
are non-computer users.

--NEW BUSINESS:

-More about our Special guest- Ramona Walhof, a longtime NFB member from
Idaho. She is a Lions Club member will talk about what the goal of the Lions
Clubs is, in respect to the blind. Also, she is someone who can really
explain how an organization such as ours, who exists to make blind people be
as independent as possible, can work with and indeed help an organization
like the Lions Club be the best kind of "helper of the blind that they can
be." And please understand this, I and the NFB do respect what the Lions
Club do; many of our members from around the country, are also members of
the Lions Clubs in their area.

-A second major topic of discussion: Start making serious plans for the
state convention coming up October 7-8-9. The most likely day for our
meeting would be Friday the 7th.

*#3 Philosophical Discussion: (Was our time with Miss Walhof)

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#4 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

*5 July Minutes:

NFBN SENIOR DIVISION

MEETING MINUTES

Monday, July 11, 2016

Before the meeting officially started, we discussed whether we

wanted to start each meeting at 7:00 or wait until 7:10.  The

consensus was that we start at 7:00.  Robert encouraged us to

call in well before so that we can get started right away.

Robert asked Walt if he had paid his dues.  He said he'd like to

do so, but thought he needed a form or something.  His wife wrote

down the following information: Cheryl Livingston, 1026 South

35th Street, Lincoln, Nebraska 68510.  Make the check for $10 to

NFBN Senior Division.

The meeting officially started at 7:10 PM (CT).  Present were:

members, Robert Newman; Brad and Barbara Loos; Cheryl Livingston;

Becky McCullough; Nancy Oltman; and Linda Mentink. Guests, Gina

Finnell; Walt Hively; Della Johnston; and Brenda Folden.

Nancy recited the NFB Pledge.

Linda read the May minutes.  Barbara noted that Gene Gillette was

also present.  Barbara moved, Cheryl seconded, that the minutes

be approved as corrected.  The motion carried.

Linda read the June minutes.  Cheryl moved, Barbara seconded,

that they be approved with a couple minor corrections.  The

motion carried.

Cheryl read the treasurer's report as follows: As of July 11,

2016, our beginning balance was $882.95.  Our expenses were July

PAC $10 and check 1222 written to Robert Newman for $155 for the

cartridges and mailers.  We have no deposits.  Our ending balance

as of July 11 is $727.95.  Respectfully submitted, Cheryl

Livingston, Treasurer.  Linda moved, several seconded, that we

accept the treasurer's report.  The motion was carried.

Linda shared about her life growing up, going to college, being a

music teacher, etc.  She was born and raised in Sturtevant,

Wisconsin.  She has two brothers.  She and her twin sister were

two and a half months premature.  Her twin died at six days old,

and Linda spent 51 days in the incubator.  She went to the

Wisconsin School for the Visually Handicapped (WSVH) from

Kindergarten through 12th grade.  She earned a BA degree in vocal

music with certification to teach K-12 from the University of

Wisconsin-Whitewater.  She taught music for a year as a limited

term employee at WSVH, until the position was cut by the state

governor.  Five years later she worked there again as a Braille

transcriber, also as a limited term employee.  She did not get

the permanent position.  She taught piano and voice lessons in

her home for many years.  She participated in two local choral

groups and the local music club.  She was active in her church,

playing piano, keyboard and organ; singing solos; singing in the

choir; serving on the music and missions committees; and serving

as a deaconess.  She joined the NFB in 1975 while a Freshman in

college, serving as secretary, first vice president, then

secretary until she moved to Nebraska in August, 2004.  She was

hired to teach music part-time at Bible Baptist Christian School,

and to help with the adult men's choir and the mixed choir for

the church.  She taught piano and voice students until the

novelty of her being there wore off, and currently has one voice

student.  She purchased a Braille Lite 40 in July, 1999, a

desktop computer in September, 2001, and a Millennium 20 in

October, 2004.  She and a friend built the braille files for the

four church hymnals, special numbers, and other hymnals and books

needed for school.  She writes the music notation in these files

when needed, and helps the students learn their parts for

Christmas and graduation programs.  She now does this on her

BrailleNote Apex.  Her involvement also includes singing solos

when needed, playing violin in the church string group and

playing organ for the daily school chapel services.

Robert asked which national committee she heads.  It was the

Music Division until 2005, when it became the Blind Musicians

Group.  At this meeting there is sometimes a special speaker or

two, and usually a report from NLS (National Library Service) by

Debbie Brown.  She is also second vice president of NAPUB

(National Association to Promote the Use of Braille.) She said

that membership was low, and encouraged Nebraskans to join.

Robert asked what that division does.  It promotes the BELL

Academies and helps with the Braille Book Fair at conventions.

Reports are given at the annual meetings.  Linda is also

secretary of the National Association of the Blind in Communities

of Faith.

Robert asked what other kind of blind person that's employed

would we like to hear from.  He mentioned Mr.  Bob Burns from

Omaha, who is a lawyer and a financial planner.  He also

suggested we could find someone from Outlook Nebraska that's

doing manufacturing, or find someone around the nation that has

an interesting job.  Barbara suggested that, if there is a

division that people are interested in hearing about, we could

have that president tell us about what that specific division

does.  Robert suggested that maybe next month we could go through

the list of divisions.  Barbara suggested Darian Smith, president

of the Community Service Division.  Cheryl suggested Ramona

Walhof, one of the chairpersons of the Lions Group.  Barbara will

ask her to speak at our August meeting.

We talked a little about the convention, and about the latest

machines with Braille displays.  Nancy asked why they couldn't

stream the Resolutions Committee meeting.  She will suggest that

in a letter to President Riccobono.  She mentioned Amy Buresh's

presentation, and wondered if it would be possible for others to

hear it.

Barbara mentioned that we had 87 people there, and we were in the

top ten.  The last time she remembers being in the top ten was in

1986 in Kansas City.

Nancy mentioned mentoring the blind students and parents that the

Commission brought, and asked how that went.  Cheryl was a

mentor.  She said that it went reasonably well, considering that

this was the first year it was done.  The parents were not

required to attend the convention sessions, and she thinks they

should have been.

Barbara mentioned that the IRA navigation thing was interesting; a camera
mounted on a pair of glasses, a sighted person watches from a remote site,
and gives information if asked.

Robert was at the Senior Division meeting.  They shared

information about what is going on for seniors around the

country.

Brags and Drags: Barbara said they had a drag.  When they

returned home after the convention, they found that the bottom

two shelves in her mom's china cabinet had broken. From the other

prospective, they got to see his niece and her husband while at

the Rosen Shingle Creek Hotel. They went to Cocoa Beach after the

convention.

It was moved and seconded that the meeting be adjourned.  The

motion was carried, and the meeting adjourned at 8:25.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary Pro.  Tem._

**Treasurer's report:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

July 11, 2016

Beginning Balance                                      $882.95

Expenses

July PAC plan                                               $ 10.00

Check 1222 Robert Newman                 $155.00

Cartridges and mailers

Deposits

None

Ending Balance       July 11,  2016          $727.95