[Nebraska-senior-blind] 2016 APPLE Rumors

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Fri Jan 22 19:03:58 UTC 2016

Hi you all

Below is a very interesting article of rumors concerning APPLE Products that
may change and come out in 2016:

Apple Rumors: the 2016 Edition

Submitted by mehgcap on 2 January, 2016 - 16:27

Member of the AppleVis Editorial Team

2016: Year of the Next Big and Small Things

Last year, I did a detailed round-up of Apple rumors for 2015. I had so much
fun writing that post that I wanted to do it again this year, especially
with all the exciting things (possibly) in the pipe. Here, then, is your
2016 Apple rumors round-up as of right now. Warning: there's some really
cool stuff in here that may cause you to drool uncontrollably. Got your
napkins ready? Good, let's get started!

iPhone

headphone jack killed by Lightning Strike

I thought I break the worst news first. According to a report from late
2015, Apple may be preparing to ditch the 3.5mm headphone jack in the
upcoming iPhone 7 (and possibly other products). Instead, it could use the
Lightning connector for audio output, or go with the 2.5mm audio device
standard. Here's an interesting look at the possibilities.

The reason is the same one that drives so many of Apple's decisions:
thinking thin. The iPhone 6s is just over 6mm thick, which is less than
twice the thickness of a standard headphone jack. To make a phone thinner
than the 6s, Apple will want to use the thinnest components it can. The
Lightning port is far thinner than the old headphone jack, so eliminating
the 3.5mm fatty will let the iPhone 7 be all the slimmer.

No Home for a Home Button

This rumor has been around for a while, but it's back again this year. Apple
may be planning on releasing the iPhone 7 with no Home button, a scary move
for many of us. As I've written about previously, though, if done correctly,
no Home button might not be bad at all.

Why, though? The simple fact is that everything nowadays is focused on the
screen, as evidenced by Apple's constantly reducing the size of the bezels
on its devices. If the entire Home button and the empty space around it
could be replaced by more screen, you could suddenly have a much larger
viewing/touch area on an iPhone without having to make the phone physically
larger. Plus, no moving button means no need to make a phone thick enough to
support the movement, allowing the iPhone 7 to be thinner--or for the extra
space to be used for other components, such as extra battery. This is
similar to how Apple made its thinnest-ever macBook in 2015 in part by
replacing the mechanical trackpad with a Force Touch version that doesn't
need to move up and down to be clicked.

Return of the Small Screen

Ever since the iPhone 6 introduced the larger screen, some users have been
asking Apple to make a variant with the four-inch screen, and overall form
factor, of the iPhone 5 and 5s series. The power of the latest technology,
but in a shell much smaller than today's large-screen models, is the dream.

Accordingly, rumors have swirled about an iPhone "6c", which would be
exactly that. So far, though, no such phone has materialized, though the
iPod Touch was updated in 2015 to provide much of Apple's modern mobile tech
in exactly the size people want. Still, that's not a full iPhone, and it
doesn't include the very latest internals.

Apple may be ready, at long last, to answer all these wishes. If reports are
correct, we will see a smaller, but modern, iPhone "6c" sometime before WWDC
2016 (in June). In fact, one rumor claims we could see the new phone as
early as February. That said, another rumor claims the device will be the
iPhone 7c, and come out in September alongside the iPhone 7, while a third
claims an April launch. Whatever the name and launch date, the smaller phone
will likely not include the 3D Touch or 12MP camera from the 6s phones, but
it will be cheaper and give fans of smaller screens a good option. In fact,
it might even have the same ram and processor as the 6s, and cost almost as
much.

I hope this rumor pans out this year, because those who prefer the smaller
form factor were left with only the 5c or 5s as their options in 2015. Both
are good phones, but the 5c lacks Touch ID, and neither it nor the 5s
include Apple Pay support.

Other ReDesigns?

Apple may be looking to go all-out with the iPhone 7's design. Removing the
home button and headphone jack, sure, but a whole new material? Well, we've
already gotten rid of two iconic features, so why not? On the bright side,
the 7 could be waterproof!

As some rumors are starting to claim, the iPhone 7 could be made of
something other than aluminum, and be waterproof. If true, this would make
the iPhone more esthetically pleasing, by hiding the visually jarring
antenna lines on the back. Having better looks will be even more important
than ever, since the whole phone could be waterproof without the aid of a
case. Add the tougher glass Apple seems to come up with every year, and you
once again have less reasons to hide your shiny, beautiful phone inside a
case.

Plus-Sizing Battery and Storage

There are claims that the iPhone 7 Plus could have a far larger battery, and
a 256GB storage option. Imagine a phone with the battery to run for two days
without charging, and the storage to hold twice as much as the entry-level
2015 MacBook Air. If it's also waterproof and includes other improvements
listed here, it would easily be the best iPhone yet--vanishing audio jacks
aside.

Apple TV. Again?

In fall 2015, Apple released a massive update to the Apple TV. There was a
better processor, app store, Siri, touch- and motion-enabled remote, game
controller support, and much more. If reports are correct, Apple isn't done
tinkering with its set-top box just yet; production of the fifth generation
Apple TV could begin as early as spring 2016, ending with a product release
sometime during the year. Speculation on the exact date ranges from April to
October.

As to new features, there isn't much to go on. Unspecified improvements and
a faster processor are all we have so far, but a better CPU does make sense.
The 2015 Apple TV includes an A8 chip, the same one used in the iPhone 6
line. This makes it a year out of date, since the Apple TV in which it is
used came out at the same time as the iPhone 6s series, which included the
much faster A9 processor. Given the focus on gaming and other
graphics-intensive applications in the TV, and its reliance on wall power
rather than a battery, it seems like Apple would want to pack as much
horsepower into that box as they possibly could. Besides, the
fourth-generation box lacks 4K video support, and many people think Apple
will want to rectify that as soon as possible.

Apple Watch, Apple Watch

As its newest product category, the Apple Watch will undoubtedly be updated.
Apple can't afford to let the first generation continue to be its only
wearable device, and it will, I expect, make major updates in the second
generation now that the first batch has had time to provide Apple with tons
of user feedback and observations. As to what, specifically, we'll see. I
don't know.

The only Apple Watch 2 rumors seem rather flimsy to me, but the expected
launch window-- announcement event in March, shipping by April-- makes
sense. Apple would want to get the new Watch out there well ahead of the
iPhone 7 unveiling in September, giving consumers time to buy the one and
then feel they can buy the other later in the year. Besides, the first Apple
Watch was announced around the same time in 2015, and Apple could be
positioning early spring as their Apple Watch update time, just as they've
done for iPhones in the fall.

The features of the new Watch which I think make the most sense, based on
reports and reviews I've read of the first generation, are:

.better processor, for eliminating the lag that users so often report in
watchOS

.cellular radio, for GPS tracking, Apple Pay, and other data-centric
features while no iPhone is nearby (mostly for joggers and the like)

.larger battery, for getting through a full day of use, especially now that
native apps can run on the Watch and take more power

Whatever Apple does, it will be an improvement over the 2015 Apple Watch. It
will also be the Watch I aim to purchase, if I can manage it, so I really
hope Apple does something great. There's also the possibility of smart watch
bands, as a way of expanding the Apple Watch's capabilities without users
needing to buy a whole new unit. It should be an exciting year for Apple's
wearable product line, we just don't have much in the way of details, or
even solid rumors, at this point.

The Future of the MacBook Line Could Be. Airless?

In late 2015, reports started circulating that Apple was getting ready to
refresh the MacBook Air with a thinner design and, possibly, a 15-inch
option. An opinion piece from 9to5Mac.com pointed out that a similar rumor
came out last year, but the product in question was actually the 2015 Retina
MacBook.

The fate of the portable Mac line-up is a big question mark at this point.
Currently, there is the MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Retina MacBook, not to
mention the similarly sized iPad Pro with its optional hardware keyboard
attachment. The Retina MacBook has a 12-inch screen, the Air an 11- or
13-inch that isn't Retina, and the Pro a 13- or 15-inch which is Retina. The
rumor is that the Air will gain a 15-inch option and drop the 11-inch model
altogether, but no word on if the Air will go retina or if the Retina
MacBook and Pro will remain the retina options along with the iPad Pro.

Confused? That's exactly my point. As someone looking for a Mac, you no
longer have the simple options you used to, and more Air models will make
things worse. If you want an iPad, you simply pick the Mini, mid-sized Air
2, or Pro, based solely on the screen size you want, just like choosing
which size you want for your iPhone. Finding the right Mac, though, has
become extremely confusing, and I really hope Apple makes 2016 the year of
clarification.

In my eyes, Apple should do the following:

.Upgrade the Retina Macbook and make it comparable in price with the Air,
while adding one or two more USB C ports

.drop the Air line altogether

.add a 14- or 15-inch variant of the Retina MacBook

.do a bit of iOS device renaming at the same time: call the iPad Air 2 just
the iPad

Then, you would have two product lines: iPad Mini, iPad, and iPad Pro;
MacBook, and MacBook Pro. Apple could keep the iPad Air name, rename the
Retina MacBook to the Air, and drop the existing Airs, and it would come to
the same thing. Whatever they do, though, the choices are getting rather
confusing and the names don't match. Besides, which Mac is more worthy of
the name 'Air': the existing Air, or the lighter, thinner model? Unifying
things to keep it simple would fit Apple's normal strategy and make it
easier on consumers.

Extra Air for the iPad

In 2015, the iPad Mini was updated, and the iPad Pro was introduced for the
first time. Unusually, the iPad Air 2 received no love at all (to be fair,
though, it was already an incredibly powerful, capable machine). In 2016,
Apple is likely going to unveil the iPad Air 3 at its March event.
Currently, there are no rumors of an update to the Mini or Pro, which makes
sense.

As to specific features, no one knows yet. It's a safe bet that the Air 3
will have a faster processor and, possibly, more ram. It's also fairly
certain that it will not have 3D Touch. Will the processor be the same one
that's in the Pro? Will the cameras be the same ones found in the iPhone 6s
series? Will the screen improve? We have no leads on any answers yet, and
those answers will be interesting to find out. With the iPad Pro now in the
mix, Apple has to juggle three subcategories, and no one knows what will
happen. Will it keep the Mini and Air less powerful, to drive sales to the
Pro? Or, will it make each as good as it can, giving users the best possible
experience no matter which iPad size they choose? No one knows, but we'll
have at least some of the answer as early as March, so stay tuned.

Accessibility Awareness?

Apple has long been committed to accessibility, as most disabled users will
know. In 2016, though, there's a chance the company will start highlighting
accessibility products in its physical stores. What these products are, and
how this whole process will unfold, is not known. It could be something as
basic as demo units with VoiceOver and Zoom enabled, or iOS-ready hearing
aids, or something way out of left field.

In my wildest dreams, Apple makes a braille display itself. It can easily
afford to sell this device at a far, far lower price than any other company,
thus vastly increasing the availability of braille while hitting the braille
display market like a tidal wave. Good or bad, if it shakes things up and
gets braille to a wider audience, I'm all for it. Is that likely? No,
probably not, but it's sure nice to chase some of these rumors to cool
conclusions like this, isn't it?

Higher Quality Music? Stream On!

Apple Music is Apple's answer to Pandora, Spotify, and other music streaming
services. It launched in the summer of 2015 and was met with pretty good
reviews, iTunes library troubles aside. This year, though, rumor has it that
Apple may offer high quality streams. If true, this will really only impact
those who appreciate great sound over good sound. If you can listen to any
MP3 and enjoy it, this won't affect you much. If you hate MP3s and only deal
in high-quality, full recording formats, you'll love this upgrade.

The interesting thing to note, no matter which side you fall on, is that
this report fuels speculation of the vanishing headphone jack. The article
linked above says that the audio improvement will be so good, 3.5mm
headphone jacks can't reproduce the quality. Lightning headphones, though,
could. The thinking is that Apple may use this as one more reason to drop
the old jack and prefer Lightning audio instead. Of course, this could be
nothing more than a way of selling more Lightning headphones, and the
standard jack won't go anywhere at all. As with everything in this article,
we know nothing for sure and will have to wait and see.

That's All, So Far

As of right now--two days since 2016 started--that's all we have for
plausible rumors. I'll update this piece throughout the year, so check back
around each major Apple event.