[Nebraska-senior-blind] The Affiliate News letter from New Mexico - June 2016

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Tue Jun 7 16:30:11 UTC 2016

Dear Fellow Seniors

Below is the quarterly newsletter from New Mexico. It is interesting,
educational and fun to read about what other state affiliates are doing. And
when I find a NFB Newsletter, I will pass it on.

QUE PASA

June 2016

Quarterly newsletter of the National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico

(Published in March, June, September, and December)

Adelmo Vigil, President

E-mail: Avigil74 at gmail.com <mailto:Avigil74 at gmail.com>
<mailto:Avigil74 at gmail.com>

(575) 921-5422

James Babb, Editor

E-mail: jim.babb at samobile.net <mailto:jim.babb at samobile.net>
<mailto:jim.babb at samobile.net>

(505) 291-3112

Tonia Trapp, Assistant Editor

E-mail: Tonialeigh513 at earthlink.net <mailto:Tonialeigh513 at earthlink.net>

(505) 856-5346

ARTICLE SUBMISSIONS

To submit an article or recipe for possible inclusion in this newsletter,
please email it to jim.babb at samobile.net <mailto:jim.babb at samobile.net> . By
submitting your article or other material, you are agreeing to the
following:

*You assert that your article does not violate any confidentiality,
copyright, or other laws, and that it is not intended to slander, defame, or
mislead.

*The NFB of New Mexico (NFBNM) has the discretion to publish and distribute
the article either in whole or in part.

*NFBNM is authorized to edit the article for formatting, length and content.

*NFBNM reserves the right to not publish submissions for any reason.

Table of Contents

PREAMBLE.. 1

EDITOR’S NOTE.. 2

PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE.. 2

HISTORY OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEW MEXICO.. 3

HANDS ON.. 4

LARRY MAES. 5

BLIND ACADEMICS: MAKING IT AS A BLIND STUDENT IN COLLEGE.. 5

MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THE COMMUNITY.. 8

GOOD EATING.. 9

USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND WEBSITES. 10

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS. 10

PREAMBLE

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico (NFBNM) is a 501 (c)

3 consumer organization comprised of blind and sighted people committed to
changing what it means to be blind. Though blindness is still all too often
a tragedy to those who face it, we know from our own personal experience
that with training and opportunity, it can be reduced to the level of a
physical nuisance. We work to see that blind people receive services and
training to which they are entitled and that parents of blind children
receive the advice and support they need to help their youngsters grow up to
be happy, productive adults. We believe that first-class citizenship means
that people have both rights and responsibilities, and we are determined to
see that blind people become first-class citizens of these United States,
enjoying their rights and fulfilling their responsibilities. The most
serious problems we face have less to do with our lack of vision than with
discrimination based on the public’s ignorance and misinformation about
blindness. Join us in educating New Mexicans about the abilities and
aspirations of New Mexico’s blind citizens.

(Adapted from NFB of Ohio newsletter.)

EDITOR’S NOTE

by Jim Babb, Editor

Hello Fellow Federationists and Friends,

I hope you enjoy this issue of Que Pasa, the newsletter of the National
Federation of the Blind of New Mexico. Thanks to all of you who sent
articles, recipes and announcements, because without these there would be no
newsletter. Thanks to Tonia Trapp, Assistant Editor, who helps organize the
articles and makes necessary corrections. She also reads this newsletter
onto New Mexico Newsline.

PRESIDENT’S MESSAGE

by Adelmo Vigil, President, NFB of New Mexico

Greetings Federation Family:

I want to thank the Board of Directors and everyone who worked hard in
planning our very successful State Convention in April. It was the largest
gathering of the blind in New Mexico. We had record-breaking attendance for
our sixtieth anniversary. It was great to see everyone who attended the
convention. It was an honor to have President Riccobono with us at this
special convention. We want to thank President Riccobono for the great job
he did during all of his presentations. His banquet keynote address was
awesome.

Now we are getting ready for our National Convention in Orlando June 30
through July 5. I look forward to seeing many of you in Orlando.

As for our New Mexico Affiliate, we have several activities coming up this
fall. In September we have the State Fair Parade, and in October we are
planning a leadership seminar in Albuquerque. Also in October local chapters
will be planning activities for White Cane Day and Meet the Blind Month.

We call on members of each local chapter and division to help build the
Federation of New Mexico. Together we can change what it means to be blind
for children, youth and adults of all ages in New Mexico.

The National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico knows that blindness is
not the characteristic that defines you or your future. Every day we raise
the expectations of blind people, because low expectations create obstacles
between blind people and our dreams. You can have the life you want;
blindness is not what holds you back.

HISTORY OF THE NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEW MEXICO

by Art Schreiber

Albert Gonzales, a blind lawyer, was the first President. A few years later,
Pauline Gomez became President. Pauline was the first blind person to
graduate from UNM with a degree in education. She couldn't find a job, so
she started her own elementary school in Santa Fe, New Mexico. She and
Albert became friends with the founder of the NFB, Dr.

Jacobis TenBroek. The New Mexico state agency in those days that served the
blind was a division of the Department of Vocational Rehabilitation called
Services for the Blind. Soon the new organization was making itself heard in
government circles. Members, including Pauline and Albert, began advocating
for better blind skills training and calling for the agency to get jobs for
blind persons. At an early State Convention, Pauline learned the agency was
going to "pack" the convention with agency employees, and they would have a
majority and vote themselves into power. Pauline informed Dr. TenBroek, and
when the business meeting began she banged the gavel and said, "This
convention is adjourned!" The next day she closed the bank account and sent
the money to Dr. TenBroek with a letter informing him there was no longer an
NFB affiliate in New Mexico. Dr. TenBroek came to Albuquerque, and with
Pauline and Albert they formed a new NFB affiliate, making certain the new
members believed in the NFB creed.

Some eleven years later, the NFBNM worked with the legislature and Governor
David Cargo to pass and sign the first White Cane bill into law. Dr.
TenBroek wrote the model bill, and Governor Cargo was the first governor in
the United States to create such a law.

The NFBNM tried, unsuccessfully, for years to get the legislature to create
a Commission for the Blind. Finally, in 1986 the Commission for the Blind
was formed by the legislature, and Governor Toney Anaya signed the bill into
law. I was appointed Chair of the first Commission, and Geetha Pai and
BasiIli° Roybal were the first commissioners along with me. We appointed
Frederic Schroeder to be the first director.

Soon the NFB and the Commission were instrumental in getting the legislature
to pass a Braille bill. However, the publishers' lobbyists were successful
in getting the bill gutted. A few years later a new Braille bill was passed
and signed by the Governor.

The NFBNM was instrumental in breaking the sad story of sexual and physical
abuse of children at the New Mexico School for the Blind and Visually
Impaired. No agency of law enforcement took up the fight. The National
Federation of the Blind, under the leadership of Dr. Kenneth Jernigan, came
to the rescue. Dr. Jernigan sent an investigator to New Mexico at great
cost, and the investigator's report was voluminous and comprehensive. Joe
Cordova, then President of the NFBNM and an employee of the Commission,
worked tirelessly and with great courage to see that the school was on the
correct path. We in the NFBNM knew we needed a parent of a blind child on
the Board of Regents at the school. The sitting governor already was
required to appoint at least one blind person to the Regents. Joe and I
testified before the House Education Committee in favor of the requirement
to place a parent of a blind child on the Board. The school officials
testified against us. The final vote was 16 to 0 in favor of the NFBNM!

The NM Commission for the Blind is currently directed by Greg Trapp, a blind
lawyer and graduate of UNM and the UNM Law School. Greg has served longer
than the previous three directors. Art Schreiber serves as Chair, and Dallas
Allen and James Babb are the other two commissioners. The Commission is
recognized across the country for its service to blind individuals, and the
United States Rehabilitation Services Administration recognizes the NM
Commission as one of the most efficient and outstanding Commissions for the
Blind in the United States.

HANDS ON

by Nancy Burns

Those dreadful words "don't touch" were probably engrained in our minds as
children, as we then gave our children that same admonition. There are,
obviously, certain times and places where children (as well as

adults) should not touch. However, the best way for me as a blind adult to
"see" is to be able to touch. This is true with small items, such as produce
in a grocery store, to larger objects such as automobiles, merry-go-rounds,
the base of a telephone pole, refrigerators, etc.

As parents of blind children it is especially important to allow a small
blind child to explore the world by touching. The task for such a parent is
not to limit the experiences for such a blind child. Caution and safety are
factors which must be monitored just as for a sighted child. Textures,
shapes and even temperature, such as with an ice cube, are all to be
considered. The importance of this kind of exploration cannot be
down-played. If you hand a blind child a cup of milk, does that child know
that it comes from a carton which is housed in a refrigerator? If a child is
given slices of apple, does this child know what an apple looks like? Time
and effort must be put into these exercises, but this is the basis for the
child's understanding of the world around her.

As my friends know, I love to shop. I enjoy walking down the rows of clothes
looking for something that tweaks my fancy. If I find something I might
like, I hold it up to someone, my husband Don if he is around, or a nearby
customer for color and size. I have found that shoppers generally enjoy
describing colors and providing other information for me. I remember one
instance when I found a blazer I thought I might like. Two women were
cruising the same area, so I held it up and asked them to tell me the color.
It was a rather different shade of blue, but they involved themselves in a
conversation telling me what other colors would work with the garment.

As seniors who are recently experiencing vision loss, this behavior is not
always comfortable. It simply takes some time, determination, and an
adventurous spirit to just get out there and do it. A healthy dose of the
NFB along with peer counseling would be beneficial.

Don and I were ambling through the New Mexico State Fair one fall where I
loved to stop at the various vendors and ask, "And what do you have?"

We had wandered through an area displaying jewelry, hats, wallets, and a
variety of such items. We came to a large space where there were several
Monster Trucks. I know the basic shape of a truck but had never been around
a Monster Truck. The thing is huge! I touched the tires, which were
practically as tall as I am. My only regret is that I didn't ask the owner
if I could climb up into it. Not sure how I would have managed it, but
wouldn't that have been fun?

Don and I live in a large apartment complex on the Northwest side of
Albuquerque, incidentally within walking distance of the Cottonwood Mall. We
were recently advised that some construction work and painting would be
going on. Don, with his limited vision, noticed that there were two Zoom
Booms parked near our apartment. Guess what? I wanted to see a Zoom Boom.
Don worked in construction for many years and has mentioned such a vehicle
in passing, but I gave it little thought. I had never been close enough to
get my hands on one, so this morning we walked out into the parking area and
I got a Zoom Boom lesson. These are gigantic heavily weighted motors that
hydraulically telescope to a basket in front which goes up several stories
high. The person in the basket controls the movement with all sorts of dials
and levers. When Don said basket, I pictured some safe, enclosed
compartment. Not so.

There is a floor with bars surrounding it, and that is about it. It can
lift, extend, and pivot. >From front to back it can be 40, 50, or more feet
depending on how long it is extended. It was early and no workers were
around, but I was pleased when Jeff walked up and spoke to us. He is the
project supervisor of the construction work and sometimes Zoom Boom driver.
I explained what I was doing and he got it. I mentioned that even though I
am blind, heights really bother me. Don jokingly said for me to get in and
he would give me a ride. Jeff reached into his pocket and said, "I have the
keys." My response, after thanking him for the information, was, "I'm out of
here."

LARRY MAES

by Diana Marquez

Larry Maes, who passed away on Wednesday, April 13th, belonged to the
National Federation of the Blind of New Mexico, Albuquerque Chapter.

There are some people who might have known Larry from both the Albuquerque
Chapter and West Mesa Chapter.

BLIND ACADEMICS: MAKING IT AS A BLIND STUDENT IN COLLEGE

by Scott Bray, Ph.D.

Having spent 21.5 years in college with 16.5 of those years in graduate
work, I offer some suggestions for blind students arriving on a university
campus for the first time.

Most blind college students will need some kind of formal disability
accommodation for their classes, often in the form of testing
accommodations. Contact the office for students with disabilities at your
college several months before you will begin classes so you can get signed
up for their services and have the accommodations in place and ready to go.

Ask the office for students with disabilities what kind of accessible
computer technology is available on your campus and where it is located. It
is helpful to know what resources are available to you should you need them.
However, because many of today's college classes require using a computer
and having online access, I very strongly recommend that you come to college
equipped with your own computer and adaptive technology. If you need help
obtaining such equipment, talk to your counselor at the New Mexico
Commission for the Blind.

Order from Bookshare any books available for your studies. Do this early as
these books are free from Bookshare but cost a lot of money if purchased at
the bookstore.

If you need to scan books yourself, do it immediately. Your first few days
should be entirely scanning, after finding the dorm, the cafeteria, and the
health clinic.

Take some time to familiarize yourself with the campus and the locations of
your classes before they begin. If you have very limited or no sight and
will need Orientation and Mobility training to help you learn how to get
around the campus, talk with your Commission for the Blind counselor three
months before classes begin, earlier if possible, so there will be adequate
time to make arrangements. If you are not already a client of the Commission
and want to apply for services, contact them as early as possible to start
the application process.

Try to get permission to arrive on campus early. If possible take a light
summer schedule before the fall so you can get used to the campus. There are
lots of four-way stops on college campuses.

Ask your teachers for each class syllabus long before you arrive on campus
via email if you know what courses you will need to take. Try to get your
assignments early. Start reading immediately.

For your first semester, keep away from killer classes such as biology,
chemistry, calculus, or physics. These are the classes used to separate the
wheat from the chaff. If someone you know tells you not to take a class from
a certain teacher, follow their directions.

Using a digital recorder in class can be somewhat helpful to fill in gaps in
your notes, but it can never replace taking your own notes.

Take notes on your laptop with a headset and use the notes to hit those
sections in your books. Some teachers are inefficient in their notes.

Other teachers give their entire exams in their class notes. Pay attention.
Once you know what kind of teacher you have, take notes accordingly.

Be a good self-advocate by telling your professors what you need as a blind
student. For instance, ask them to read important information aloud that
they are writing on the board. Visit them in their office hours if you need
help understanding a concept or assignment. Talk to blind students who
preceded you at the college to ask them which teachers they recommend.

Read. Read. Read. Study. Study. Study. Find a quiet place to do your
studying, somewhere you can concentrate. Set established study habits.

Do your work at the same time each day. Keep a daily planner and mark all
important events in it.

Most research can be done on the Internet, so the library may be obsolete.
If you have a research project, follow the instructor’s directions exactly.
If he/she wants Times New Roman, do not use Ariel or Gothic to be cute.

Forget the parties. College is tough enough, and concentration in the first
four weeks will pay off in great dividends all semester long.

Stay away from booze, drugs, and unsafe sex.

Before an exam: If you read your notes each evening before you fall asleep,
you need do little studying for an exam. Your brain can process the
information easily enough. However, listening to your notes repeatedly the
evening before an exam makes an “A” more likely. If you do this just before
you fall asleep, it will help you be ready the next morning. Always check
the spelling and learn all critical words so they become ingrained on your
brain. If you have read all your class materials in a quiet and concentrated
manner before an exam, the information will appear like it is written on
your brain at test time.

Always look up new words. Vocabulary is the essence of an educated person.

Get some regular exercise. Visit the campus swimming pool or gym as often as
you can, aiming for 3-4 times per week.

In the cafeteria, try to eat healthy foods. We all love hamburgers, Whoppers
and Big Macs, but we really need lots of green, leafy veggies, pasta, wheat
breads, and healthy foods. This is easier to say than to do.

The first semester is the most critical one. Forget about mom, dad, and
little brother Sammy and sister Tammy. Concentrate on your work.

Make an appointment with a counselor and see one if you get upset or are
having difficulties. If you are in New Mexico, your Commission for the Blind
counselor is another helpful resource.

Religious organizations have ministers and priests on campus. Find the one
of your choice. Attend church services if you desire. These provide social
opportunities.

Do not walk alone late at night on a college campus if you can help it.

If you have to be out walking when it is late because of a class you need to
take or for another reason, find out ahead of time if the college's security
office or campus police can send someone to escort you to your destination
at those times to help ensure your safety.

Always keep a whistle with you on campus late at night. Buy a steel whistle
from Big 5 and buy a rubber mount for it so you do not break your teeth.
Better to be safe than sorry.

Contact the National Federation of the Blind and sign up for Newsline for
the Blind. You can hear your local news in most large New Mexico
communities. This is also an excellent resource for current events and
research for some classes.

If you encounter difficulty with a particular course or professor in regard
to your disability or disability-related accommodations, do not simply
ignore the problem: that is the worst thing you can do. Contact your
specialist at the office for students with disabilities right away to
discuss the issue with them and seek a quick resolution. If you cannot get
the help you need that way, then your next logical step would be to find out
who supervises the director of the office for students with disabilities so
you can contact that person.

A final word of caution: It would be nice to believe all the people in the
world, especially in college, are people with honesty, integrity, and values
similar to ours. This is not the case. Never ever put down your cell phone
or laptop unless you can see it or feel it and know it is there. Never get
up to rush to the restroom or engage in a conversation even a few feet from
your study area, leaving these priceless items alone. They will be stolen
pronto. Be safe and stay on track. College is the best possible place on
earth and lots of fun.

Just hold on tightly to your personal stuff. Leave the purse at home, if
female, and have your wallet in your front pocket. Use a phone holder on
your belt. Hold that laptop in your hands even in the toilet area. Learning
this lesson the hard way can result in a tragedy and end your college
semester or bomb your grades.

Your task is to become an educated independent person. Blindness is no big
deal if you have good blindness skills. You can overcome all obstacles.

“Come my friends, ‘tis not too late
to seek a newer world
” Tennyson

MAKING A DIFFERENCE IN THE COMMUNITY

by Larry Lorenzo

On April 27, 2016, the White Sands Chapter of the NFBNM hosted a Tips And
Tricks seminar in Alamogordo, NM. The idea was borrowed from the Albuquerque
Chapter who hosted a similar event last year. This article will examine the
planning, promotion and execution of the event. The intent is not only to
share general information, but also, some specific details which might help
other interested chapters.

The event was originally planned for "Meet the Blind Month" in October.

But, as sometimes happens, life got in the way and it was postponed to
April. In order for the event to be successful, three important areas were
identified: planning, promotion and collaboration.

Planning: The Albuquerque event provided a starting point, but input was
actively encouraged from the community. In addition to chapter members,
participants in a low vision senior support group and other persons were
asked for suggestions of topics of interest. This was to be a
consumer-driven event. Peggy Hayes was appointed Planning Committee Chair,
and the process was begun.

Finding a venue presented a challenge since the number of participants was
unknown. A range of 25 to 50 participants was targeted. This number was
ambitious given the size of the community. After some serious leg-work, the
Saint John's Episcopal Church community hall was determined to meet the
needs. It was centrally located and accessible.

The space could accommodate the high-end number of participants. It was
acoustically friendly. It is surprising how many meetings are held in
acoustically challenging venues. A chapter member also provided a public
address sound system to ensure adequate hearing for participants.

Marketing and promotion: A proactive promotion and marketing effort was
started. Larry Lorenzo was appointed Chair. Several factors were addressed.
Advertising the event had to reach a broad section of the community.
Organizations that serve blind or visually impaired persons had to be
contacted. Multimedia platforms had to be used. The announcement needed to
reflect the positive philosophy of the NFB and address issues of practical
importance.

The announcement was published in the local paper and posted on bulletin
boards at the senior center and public library. The local independent living
center was also notified. A copy of the announcement was published in the
NMSU-A Accessibility Services newsletter. Peggy Hayes and Larry Lorenzo were
guests on a local radio talk show discussing the seminar and blindness
awareness in general. Promoting the seminar became a community outreach
effort in itself.

Collaboration: While the Whites Sands Chapter of NFBNM was going to host the
seminar, it was agreed that collaboration efforts needed to include other
organizations and agencies. The New Mexico Commission for the Blind (NMCB)
was invited to participate. Specifically, independent living services would
be of interest. Barbara Hayes and Paula Johnson from NMCB agreed to present
and be available for questions. The director of the local public
transportation agency was invited to talk about services including
fixed-route and para-transit services.

Students attending the NMCB Orientation Center were invited. It was believed
that the seminar would complement their training at the Center. As noted
earlier, numerous community organizations were contacted directly.

On April 27th approximately 40 persons gathered for 5 hours and shared a day
of information and awareness. This included chapter members, students at the
Orientation Center, and people from the community with no previous contact
with blind people.

Two weeks after the seminar I met with several participants at a low vision
support group I facilitate at the senior center. This presented a unique
opportunity for follow-up questions and evaluation. One individual who was
dealing with macular degeneration and had lost significant vision in the
past year had much to say.

Question: Did you learn anything that was interesting or helpful?

Answer: Yes! I didn't know much about living with little or no eyesight. My
ophthalmologist is a good doctor, but he doesn't talk about living without
vision.

Question: Did you learn some practical ideas or information?

Answer: Oh yes! There were many practical ideas and useful information.

What I remember most was the positive energy in the room. I left with a new
sense of hope.

Suggestions for improvement included the following: (1) although resource
info was given to participants, written handouts would help reinforce
presentations; (2) a recording of the event might also offer the chance to
review presentation content at one's own pace; and (3) social media could be
better used to share information about events in the future.

The seminar took considerable work by the entire chapter. If the result
means making a positive difference in the lives of community members, it was
truly worth the effort.

GOOD EATING

Peanut Butter Cookies

by Veronica Smith

For our State Convention that occurred April 7 through April 10, 2016, I
made a batch of these cookies to be enjoyed at Café Sage on Friday morning.

1/2 cup butter, softened

1/2 cup shortening

1 cup packed brown sugar

1/2 packet of sugar substitute like Splenda

1 cup peanut butter

2 eggs

1 and 1/2 cups flour

1 cup old-fashioned oats

1 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon salt

Cream sugars, peanut butter, butter and shortening together until creamy.
Add one egg at a time until well blended.

In a separate bowl, mix together flour, baking soda and salt.

While beater is running, add in flour mixture and mix until well
incorporated.

Add in oats just until moistened.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Drop by teaspoon onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10 to 12 minutes
or until lightly brown. We baked them 12 minutes.

I’m assuming everyone liked them because by the end of the event, the tray
was bare, and all I had to take home was an empty tray!

USEFUL TELEPHONE NUMBERS AND WEBSITES

www.unroll.me <http://www.unroll.me>  <http://www.unroll.me>

This is good for blocking unwanted promotional emails.

www.peekyou.com <http://www.peekyou.com>  <http://www.peekyou.com>

This site allows you to do a background check on yourself or others, or to
find info on past friends, etc.

1-800-373-3411

This is the latest version of a free telephone number service.

www.icanconnect.org <http://www.icanconnect.org>
<http://www.icanconnect.org>

Also known as the National Deaf-Blind Equipment Distribution Program.

Go here to find out more about free equipment for deaf-blind and the
qualifications needed. You may also call 1-800-825-4595 or TTY
1-888-320-2656.

MEETINGS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS

Arthur Schreiber’s book Out of Sight: Blind and Doing All Right is now
available from the NM Library for the Blind. Call them at

1-800-456-5515 and ask for book # DNM00403.

June 17 Meeting of the NM State Rehabilitation Council for the Blind at the
Albuquerque, New Mexico office of the NM Commission for the Blind

August 17 Meeting of the NM Commission for the Blind in Alamogordo, New
Mexico

September 10 NM State Fair Parade Albuquerque, New Mexico

October 1 Annual White Cane Celebration Banquet. Details will be
forthcoming.