[Nebraska-senior-blind] Friends of the Commission - offering non-visual training opportunity for computers and smart phones to blind Seniors

Robert Leslie Newman newmanrl at cox.net
Thu Mar 9 13:27:35 UTC 2017

Access to Non-visual Technology for Seniors (ANTS)

Friends of the Commission 2017 Grant

http://www.friendsofncbvi.org

If you are a senior wanting to learn how to use technology in a non-visual
way, or know a senior who wants to be able to email their grand kids or
otherwise join the world of technology, we have an exciting opportunity for
you. We also need to find people who can teach non-visual access to
technology and wish to get paid for it, so read on and let us hear from you!

**2017 ANTS GRANT GOAL: To provide training to blind Nebraska seniors who
need non-visual access to technology. We, the Friends, plan to train up to
ten older blind individuals, though our financial resources are not great.

**ELIGIBILITY:

*The Student- must be 55 years of age or older. Have a need for training on
a smart phone, tablet or computer, and want or need to use only non-visual
methods for accessing these technologies.

Note: We are not able to purchase or provide any technology through this
program, so those wanting to learn must already own, or have borrowing
rights to the phone, tablet, or computer to be learned.

*The Trainer- anyone who can demonstrate competency in the use and teaching
of non-visual methods to access one or more of the following: Apple iPhone,
iPad, iPod - using VoiceOver, and/or Apple computers with speech; Android
phones or tablets - using TalkBack. Windows PC with JAWS or NVDA or
WindowEyes. We have allocated $100.00 to be paid out to a trainer who
completes working with each student; learn more by talking with us.

Note: NCBVI staff are cleared to teach in this program should they wish to
do so. The only requirements are that the teaching be done after-hours,
using non-work equipment.

The Friends would also welcome the assistance of Commission staff in
identifying potential students and/or instructors.

**GETTING STARTED: Interested students and trainers should contact either of
the following Friends to sign up for ANTS:

Christine Boone

Phone- 269-329-8500

Email- christineboone2 at gmail.com

Robert Leslie Newman