[Nebraska-senior-blind] NFBN Senior Division Meeting - TOMORROW - Guest Welcome

Robert Leslie Newman robertleslienewman at gmail.com
Sun Oct 7 23:43:02 UTC 2018

Hi you all

RE: Our meeting for October is tomorrow, Monday the 8th

Non-members are welcome

Contents of this message:

*When and how to get on the call

*Agenda

*The NFB Pledge

*Minutes and Treasurers reports from last meeting: pasted in below

*#1 When and How to Get On the Call:

Date: October 8th

Time: 6:00 MT, 7:00 CT, 8:00 Eastern

Phone: 1-712-451-0011

Access Code: 345154Pound

*#2 Agenda:

-First- Come to order, introductions, say our NFB pledge (Cheryl is our
Presenter)

-Second- secretary & treasurers Reports Will be given

--OLD BUSINESS:

-Membership- do make calls to past members who have not joined us during
recent meetings. And/or think of someone new to call and invite to join us
for this or next month's meeting.

-Any other old business you may bring

--NEW BUSINESS:

-Update on division happenings at convention! All of us who were able to
make it will share with you.

-Anything you may bring

--Finally- Brags & Drags

--Adjournment

*#3 NFB Pledge:

 I pledge to participate actively in the efforts of the National

Federation of the Blind to achieve equality, opportunity, and security for
the blind; to support the policies and programs of the Federation; and to
abide by its constitution.

**Last Month's Minutes:

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION MEETING MINUTES

Monday, September 10, 2018

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday, September
10, 2018. In the absence of President Robert Newman, Vice President Barbara
Loos facilitated the meeting. She called the meeting to order at 7:18 PM
CDT. Members present were: Vice President Barbara Loos, Secretary Linda
Mentink, Treasurer Cheryl Livingston, Board Member Nancy Oltman, Gina
Finnell, Walt Hively, Geralynn Konruff, Brad Loos, and Gerri Whitlow. Guests
present were: Cleora Boyd from Texas, Kate Chamberlin from New York, Ken
Mills from New Mexico, and Lillian Way from Pennsylvania.

Brad recited the NFB Pledge. Cheryl will recite it next month.

Barbara introduced Lillian Way, our guest speaker. Lillian is a long-time
writer, and met Robert when he was president of the NFB Writers' Division.
She asked if we were all retired, and a couple of us said no. She gave us
the following advice and information: Blindness should not get in the way of
our pursuits. If you are desiring to be a writer, establish a writing
schedule; write when you are the most creative; start a thought notebook;
write for fun; write things that matter to you; try different genres to see
what works for you. There are many helpful books for writers and writers
groups. such as Behind Our Eyes, which is a critique group of fifty to a
hundred members. The other group to which she belongs is Explorations in
Creative Writing, a smaller group. She explained a little about each group
and their email lists. Her email address is nascarlill1 at gmail.com
<mailto:nascarlill1 at gmail.com> . She answered many questions.

Linda read the minutes of the August meeting. Cheryl moved, Geralyn
seconded, that the minutes be approved as read. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's Report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

September 10, 2018

Beginning Balance Aug 13, 2018 $1,278.32

Expenses

PAC plan for September $ 15.00

Total expenses $ 15.00

Deposits

10% of B Canes Sept 3 $ 201.00

Ending Balance Sept 10, 2018 $1,464.32

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

Nancy moved, Gina seconded, that we accept the Treasurer's report as read.
The motion carried.

Barbara reported that we have another scholarship applicant, and things are
moving forward.

CONVENTION NOTES. We have an hour and twenty-five minutes for our division
meeting, which will be Friday morning from 10:30 to 11:55. We will have some
time on the agenda to share tech stuff. If anyone has anything to share,
please let Robert know. Barbara asked if we would like a verbal or hard copy
agenda. The consensus was verbal, and maybe electronic. Please let Robert
know if we have anything we'd like put on the agenda. Robert has purchased
60 clickers. If anyone has any left from the past two years, they should
bring them along to sell this year. Robert will do a "fit break" during one
of the General Sessions. The convention pre-registration deadline is
September 30. Barbara is again chairing the Resolutions Committee, and would
like resolutions ahead of time.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Nancy was glad to see that the Huskers were able to play
last Saturday.

Gina's niece got married August 31. It was a fishing wedding, so she got to
go fishing.

Barbara said their son Garth and his son James came for a visit. They all
had a good time.

Gina moved, Nancy seconded, that we adjourn. We adjourned at 9:00 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary

**Treasurer's Report: