[Nebraska-senior-blind] February Secretary's Report

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Mon Mar 11 22:09:58 UTC 2019

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION SECRETARY's REPORT

Monday, February 11, 2019

The NFBN Senior Division met by telephone conference on Monday,
February 11, 2019. President Robert Newman called the meeting to
order at 7:02 PM CST. Members present were: President Robert Newman,
Vice President Barbara Loos, Secretary Linda Mentink, Treasurer
Cheryl Livingston, Board Member Nancy Oltman, Chris Boone, Gina
Finnell, Michael Jones, Geralyn Konruff, Brad Loos, Steve Senteney,
and Jerry Whitlow. Guests present were: Mark Bulger, Melvin Forster,
Della Johnston and Deb Mauer from Nebraska and Jim Aldrich from Montana.

Barbara recited the NFB Pledge. Gina will recite it next month.

Our guest speaker was Mark Bulger. He is blind because of RETINITIS
Pigmentosa. He lived in Wisconsin, and worked in the food industry as
a Project Engineer. For the better part of ten years, he was isolated
as a blind person. When he went to get a guide dog, he started to
realize that there was value in being around other people with vision
loss. He likes to know what's going on, and started attending the
Commission Board meetings when Barbara was the chairperson. He has
recently been elected chair of the NCBVI Board, and has chaired two
meetings. He is also President of the Omaha Association of the Blind,
which was started in 1922 as a social group, which it still is. They
meet monthly, and have about 80 members. They have an endowment so
that they can support such things as Radio Talking Book Service, a
cab subsidy program called Share Fare and Camp Abilities. They like
to kick start programs that help the blind in Omaha. He has been a
member of the American Council of the Blind of Nebraska for about
three years, and is now its President. He shared what the ACB is
doing nationwide and in Omaha in Lincoln. He explained in detail
about the Commission going into order of selection. Twelve positions
will be eliminated. An appropriations hearing concerning this will be
March 7 in Lincoln at the State Capitol. Mark answered a couple
questions from Chris and Steve.

Linda read the January, 2019, Secretary's Report. Della, who has been
a member of the Parliamentarians, said that in 2000 the book on
Robert's Rules of order was updated. If there are no additions or
corrections, all we need to say is that the Secretary's Report will
be made a part of the record. If there are no questions following the
reading of the Treasurer's Report, we say that it will be made part
of the Financial Report for the organization. We agreed that we would
adopt that method.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's report as follows:

Treasurer's Report-Senior Division

February 11, 2019

Beginning Balance January 14, 2019 $1397.44

Expenses

PAC plan for February $ 15.00

Total Expenses $ 15.00

Deposits

None

Ending Balance February 11, 2019 $1382.44

Respectfully submitted,

Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer

There were no questions, so the Treasurer's Report will be made a
part of our official record.

Robert said that four of us on the call are on the Friends of the
Commission Board, and will be meeting with Carol Jenkins to find out
what we can do to help the Commission. He will come back with a
report following that meeting, which has not yet been scheduled.

Robert asked Chris about the members of the Appropriations Committee,
and what we should say when we call them. Any time from the 25th on
will be a good time to call.

Regarding our Membership Roster, Robert asked if we want to have it
as it has been, or if we want the additional information the national
office wants, such as when we joined the division; do we use a cane
or dog guide, or are we fully sighted; preferred reading format;
relationship to another member, etc. We want it as usual.

Barbara asked Robert if he has found an activity director to speak to
us. He has not.

BRAGS AND DRAGS. Barbara said she and Brad attended the service for
Rachel Olivero. Karen Anderson is devistated. She and our entire
organization need our thoughts and prayers.

Chris' drag is that two times in a row, she has not been on the call
to say the Pledge.

Jerry's drag that turned into a brag is that their furnace went out
and had to be replaced. She now has a thermostat that she can use.

Robert and Bonnie are going on a cruise to the Caribian. They will
visit nine island countries, and will visit a workshop or school
where blind and visually impaired people make crafts.

Brad spent dad and daughter time with their youngest daughter Emma.

The meeting adjourned at 8:50 PM.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary