[Nebraska-Senior-Blind] 2018 Senior Division Convention Minutes

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Tue Oct 1 20:49:52 UTC 2019

Hi All,

Robert asked me to post this. We will probably change it to
Secretary's Report beginning this year, but it's minutes in 2018,
just in case someone wonders.

Happy reading!

Blessings,

Linda

NATIONAL FEDERATION OF THE BLIND OF NEBRASKA SENIOR DIVISION ANNUAL MEETING

Friday, October 5, 2018

The NFBN Senior Division held its annual meeting Friday, October 5,
2018, at Columbus Rumada and River's Edge Convention Center in
Columbus, Nebraska. President Robert Newman called the meeting to
order at 10:30 AM. There were 15 people in attendance, and all
introduced themselves.

Vice President Barbara Loos led us in reciting the NFB Pledge.

Secretary Linda Mentink read the 2017 annual meeting minutes.
Treasurer Cheryl Livingston said her record has a different ending
balance. It could be her mistake, and she will check. Chris Boone
moved, Barbara Loos seconded, that the minutes be approved as read,
with the caveat. The motion carried.

Cheryl read the Treasurer's report as follows:

NFBN Senior Division Annual Report 2018

Beginning balance 10/14/2017 $965.53

Total deposits $913.50

Total expenses $429.71

Ending balance 10/5/2018 $1449.32

Notes:

$647.50 of the deposits was from B-Canes

$180.00 was contributed to the PAC plan.

Barbara asked how much we made on the clickers. Cheryl looked it up:
$48.00. Chris moved, Linda seconded, that we accept the Treasurer's
report as read. The motion carried.

Robert passed out bags of clickers to those who wanted to sell them
during the weekend.

ELECTION OF OFFICERS. The following people were elected by
acclamation: Robert Newman, President; Barbara Loos, Vice President;
Linda Mentink, Secretary; Cheryl Livingston, Treasurer; and Nancy
Oltman, Board Member.

Patti Chang, our National Representative, spoke to us. She mentioned
that it's "our national office," not "the national office." She
shared with us about her dad, who has lost most of his vision. As is
the case with many seniors, he struggles with his belief in what he
can do. She challenged us to think about how we are going to reach
the senior citizens who are not going to come to us in any way, shape
or form. She brought greetings from President Riccobono.

Robert mentioned our monthly phone meetings on the second Monday of
the month at 7:00 Central. The next one will be this coming Monday.

Robert explained about our scholarship. Dorothy Babel is the fourth
recipient. Barbara moved, Chris seconded, that we do the scholarship
again next year. The motion carried.

Barbara suggested that we have a discussion about reaching seniors
and how to help them at one of our phone meetings. We also need to go
outhe retirement centers in our communities. Patti mentioned that we
have a whole new series of PSA's (public service announcements), and
suggested that we go back to getting TV and radio stations to air
them. We can view them at any time by going to nfb.org/psas.

TECHNOLOGY. Robert explained how to use the Seeing AI app to read bar
codes. Nancy Coffman demonstrated it. Barbara mentioned that they use
the Envision America thing because it's easier to use. Nancy said it
is nice because it's omnidrectional as opposed to unidirectional.
Patti mentioned that Seeing AI is good with money, which Nancy
demonstrated. Nancy said it's free. She mentioned that she likes
Digitize as an app for reading nutrition information. Barbara
explained the AIRA (artificial intelligence ra, which is seeing eye)
app, and explained the different aspects of it.

She called a live agent and asked her to describe our room.

We adjourned at 11:53.

ADDENDUM. At our next phone meeting, Monday, October 8, Cheryl gave
the following corrected annual Treasurer's Report:

NFBN Senior Division Annual Report 2018

Beginning balance 10/14/2017 $963.53

Total deposits 929.65

Total expenses 453.86

Ending balance 10/5/2018 $1439.32

Notes:

There is a $10 difference in our favor in the bank balance and the
reported balance. The actual Checkbook balance as of 10/5/18 is
$1449.32. I believe this is due to an adjustment made by the bank
when we stopped getting paper statements.

$647.50 of the deposits was from B-Canes

$180.00 was contributed to the PAC plan.

This report was approved by the members on the call.

Respectfully submitted,

Linda Mentink, Secretary